Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #226
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S View Post
I believe they used lots of steel in this one.
What's that old saying about weight strength.......
I think it goes: If you want something light & strong buy a KTM

My 10 year old, 153kg 640E (wet without fuel) has, admittedly with the strategic addition of about 400 grams of steel to the subframe, indulged in all sorts of loaded up with camping gear etc tomfoolery without ever breaking in half, for the last 120K km.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #227
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Hurtful response...??? Gee drf... I've never known you to take take anything I've ever garbled to heart like that before...?

And to be fair, my comments have been primarily centered around the wieght issue - and not just Husky mind you... the same criticism I have levelled at a number of dualsport/offroad bikes released by Honda, Yamaha, KTM and Husqvarna over the last three to four years (I guess one could counter by saying; at least they are releasing some new models... I suppose? ). Yeah, the defenders of the obese and downtrodden rattle the swords on the sides of their chunky armour making very astute observations like; "it's not an enduro bike"... which is hardly the point; ANY bike that weighs more (than it absoulitely needs to) just places more load on the suspension/breaking parameters, affects it's power/weight/performance ration and is heavier to toss around/pick up when tossed down. So I don't see why being classified as an "Adventure bike" automatically absolves the manufacturers from foisting unnecessarily heavy "tanks" on us?

But in any case, it still astounds me with all the modern materials, manufacturing techniques and technoligy available to the motorcycle industry today, that thirty years on from the XT 500, we cannot produce a bike (for the same purpose) that is not 20 to 25 kilo's HEAVIER than back then?

Then again, if your reference is to the satiric "ponytails in the boardroom" peice I wrote earlier in this thread...? Shit... I dunno, I reckon I hit the nail plumb on the head... they've taken an existing established powerplant, that has paid for itself several times over, dressed it up in a new suit, priced it competitively and released it with a big fanfaire...
QUOTE drf:
"Whats not to like - 58hp and under ten grand, 2 year warranty etc. I cant say I am a fan of the looks. It aint a race bike but it should be able to pull a decent mono out front of the Pub"

You are right drf... there's nothing not to like... looking forward to how much you like it. So far the only written reports I've seen have been by the Husky PR department, mincing journalists and/or Husky-files from various owner/club/fan forums of various Husqvarna persuasion.

Enjoy!
I think a lot of people lose focus on what Husky are offering.

Its a viable alternative to the KLR and DR for price, undercuts the Tenere by about 3K, has a brilliant motor and there will be a mountain of accessories available for it. The adventure riders dream!!

If you want more suspension travel, lighter weight, board for a seat and limited ability to carry luggage, buy an enduro bike for fucksake!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #228
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 752
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
I think a lot of people lose focus on what Husky are offering.

Its a viable alternative to the KLR and DR for price, undercuts the Tenere by about 3K, has a brilliant motor and there will be a mountain of accessories available for it. The adventure riders dream!!

If you want more suspension travel, lighter weight, board for a seat and limited ability to carry luggage, buy an enduro bike for fucksake!!

Well said!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
TRX850 Fun, Fun, Fun
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #229
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Adventure riders dream... Lets look at the DR650. They are cheaper, at least 15 year old designs, have more suspension travel, are lighter, excellent luggage carrying ability and decent seats.
Only thing missing is the EFI.

So why do manufacturers continue to produce soft bikes such as the Terra? Adventure bikes are capable of so much more. The "Just buy an enduro bike" view is flawed.

Not many want to ride an enduro bike to the dirt, but we do want something that'll go hard offroad, that's affordable, and comfortable.

Still waiting for that updated DR...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #230
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Adventure riders dream... Lets look at the DR650. They are cheaper, at least 15 year old designs, have more suspension travel, are lighter, excellent luggage carrying ability and decent seats.

So why do manufacturers continue to produce soft bikes such as the Terra? Adventure bikes are capable of so much more. The "Just buy an enduro bike" view is flawed.

Not many want to ride an enduro bike to the dirt, but we do want something that'll go hard offroad, that's affordable, and comfortable.

Oh, so you've ridden the Terra?!

Yes the DR is a great bike, but every DR I've seen has been heavily modified including the suspension and the seat!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
TRX850 Fun, Fun, Fun
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #231
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

There is obviously not a viable market for a kick arse 'adventure' bike anymore.

KTM sold about 12 Adventure 990s in the last year, and its considered the hardest of the big twins, I noticed they have 'roaderised' the new 1190 and turned it into a Super-ten clone, so its even gone now.

To make a 690R work it will set you back 20-22K by the time its got decent fuel capacity etc, and when its all kitted out, it still weighs up near 200kg!!

At least with the new Husky its starting from about 9K and throw 4k at it and its going to be brilliant.

KLR and DR are not competitors in anything but price, you are delusional if after riding one of these things(using a Dakar as a benchmark) for any distance over varying terrain, you think they are!!

Neither is in the race, they are 20yo trail bikes with performance, fuel economy, comfort and durability befitting their old age.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #232
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
There is obviously not a viable market for a kick arse 'adventure' bike anymore.

To make a 690R work it will set you back 20-22K by the time its got decent fuel capacity etc, and when its all kitted out, it still weighs up near 200kg!!

At least with the new Husky its starting from about 9K and throw 4k at it and its going to be brilliant.
I have to beg to differ here, but I am not knocking the Husky Terra as I think it is a good addition to the ADV bike market. But I do have a KTM 690, and the only thing that I have added/modded that I would probably not do on a DR (owned one) or KLR, is an external fuel filter and a couple of replacement tank bolts. All the other stuff like bash plate, seat, long range tank, rear rack, pannier rails, barkbusters, heated grips, screen, replacement muffler, etc , etc - well I would have done those on whichever bike I buy anyway to make it into an ADV bike.

And the 690 has quality adjustable long travel suspension, slipper clutch, brembo brakes and hydraulic clutch, and goes like stink! Never let me down either. Nowhere near 200kgs with the stuff on.

I have ADV'd an Aprilia Pegaso Trail for many years before the 690 (now relegated to commuting/road duties), and it is similar in concept to the Terra, so I have no doubt the Terra will do the job and is a good value base for an ADV bike.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #233
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,286

Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #234
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Nice DRF. Electics and fueltank better organised. I was just gonna say in 12 months time there will be a host of after-market accessories to bring the bike up to functional ADV tourer specs.
I llike the terra , I see the bike as a reincarnation of the XChallenge, only without sins in the previous iteration.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #235
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,286
Quote:

I've been waiting for an updated DR too

I should be able to do a comparo for you Jake. I've almost done about 100,000k on a DR 650.

Troy when it arrives in early December (fingers crossed) I'll be off cruising the high country till pisstmasday Ill do a report or something.

The Terra costs the same as my daughters Orthodontics.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 01:03 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #236
ADVJake
i like stuff

Bigem,

The 990 doesn't sell well pretty much because of the cost. It's in a league of its own. Pretty much the only bike you can claim to be a jack of all trades.
I'm convinced the manufacturers could make a bike like the XR650R, with a sturdy subframe, e-start and 6 speed for under 10k. It would outsell the DR & DRZ if they did.

DRF, Thats a monster of a regulator under the seat. must have a decent output from the stator?

Quote:
I should be able to do a comparo for you Jake. I've almost done about 100,000k on a DR 650.
Keen to hear how it goes.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #237
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,617
The reg is on the right side of the motor isn't it?

That would be the efi control under the seat?

If cost is what is holding the 990 sales back, what about the 1200 GS'S and GSA sales, both bikes which cost more than the KTM?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #238
ADVJake
i like stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
The reg is on the right side of the motor isn't it?

That would be the efi control under the seat?

If cost is what is holding the 990 sales back, what about the 1200 GS'S and GSA sales, both bikes which cost more than the KTM?
I dont believe they compete with each other. The KTM is excellent off-road.
People want to spend that much on a bike they would be bashing around the bush on.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #239
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Bluhduh

Quote:
I dont believe they compete with each other. The KTM is excellent off-road.
People want to spend that much on a bike they would be bashing around the bush on.
Have you ridden either of these bikes off road? Have you owned either bike? Have you never seen a BMW GS ridden off road? Believe me a lot of expensive BMWs and KTMs go off road!

Maybe you need to broaden your mind a bit, watch some You Tube Vids on the BMW R1200GS and actually see how good they are rather than blurting out bull sh#t!

Perhaps you need to include "IMHO" in your posts, that's if you actually have a humble opinion!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
TRX850 Fun, Fun, Fun
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #240
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bigem,

The 990 doesn't sell well pretty much because of the cost. It's in a league of its own. Pretty much the only bike you can claim to be a jack of all trades.
I'm convinced the manufacturers could make a bike like the XR650R, with a sturdy subframe, e-start and 6 speed for under 10k. It would outsell the DR & DRZ if they did.

DRF, Thats a monster of a regulator under the seat. must have a decent output from the stator?

Keen to hear how it goes.
The biggest arguments against buying a 990 I have heard is seat height and weight!

Its an awesome bit of gear but its heavy and as you say expensive.

GS's, Super Tens etc are more manageable on the road than the tall seated 990, so that's what sells!

There is no market for a 220kg enduro bike, never really has been.

I have been close a couple of times but still bought something else.

If Honda had stuck an electric leg on the XR650R it could have been 'the' bike it never was. Shame really, it had so much potential.