Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #241
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,788
I have an interest in keeping this thread alive...

So... Let's continue to be gentlemen
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #242
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I have an interest in keeping this thread alive...

So... Let's continue to be gentlemen
Quite a few of us share the interest DRF.

I am looking forward to your 'farkling' of the new steed.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #243
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkel View Post
Have you ridden either of these bikes off road? Have you owned either bike? Have you never seen a BMW GS ridden off road? Believe me a lot of expensive BMWs and KTMs go off road!

Maybe you need to broaden your mind a bit, watch some You Tube Vids on the BMW R1200GS and actually see how good they are rather than blurting out bull sh#t!

Perhaps you need to include "IMHO" in your posts, that's if you actually have a humble opinion!

IMHO the 12GS is an awsome bit of kit, buuutttt, it's not made for serious off road work !!! the suspension travel is not enough for a bike as tall as they are, ( as shocked as some may be ) the 990 is by far a better bike off road.

I loved my GS, but for the style of riding that I do, it is too heavy, not enough suspension, too much horsepower at the wheel, ( You want lift, you get wheelspin ) too wide down low. The 990 suffers from some of the same things. The terra seems to meet my needs but a decent ride review may hold some answers.

If I was to travel around Australia for a few years then a modified 12GS would be the bike of choice, they are made for punting down roads , whether they be bitumen or gravel, at speed for long periods of time. With the ABS, TCS and suspension used properly they are very confidence inspiring, but for most riders they are too much bike as is the 990, if your name is Darryl Beatty or Miles Davis and you have the type of talent that many of us inspire to have ( but fall way short ) then the Utube videos will not be surprising, unfortunately most of us only dream and bullshit ourselves.

But anytime you want to go flogging GS's out in the bush drop around and we'll go for a spin. Meanwhile I'll wait with bated breath for the Terra to hit the showrooms.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #244
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
IMHO the 12GS is an awsome bit of kit, buuutttt, it's not made for serious off road work !!! the suspension travel is not enough for a bike as tall as they are, ( as shocked as some may be ) the 990 is by far a better bike off road.

I loved my GS, but for the style of riding that I do, it is too heavy, not enough suspension, too much horsepower at the wheel, ( You want lift, you get wheelspin ) too wide down low. The 990 suffers from some of the same things. The terra seems to meet my needs but a decent ride review may hold some answers.

If I was to travel around Australia for a few years then a modified 12GS would be the bike of choice, they are made for punting down roads , whether they be bitumen or gravel, at speed for long periods of time. With the ABS, TCS and suspension used properly they are very confidence inspiring, but for most riders they are too much bike as is the 990, if your name is Darryl Beatty or Miles Davis and you have the type of talent that many of us inspire to have ( but fall way short ) then the Utube videos will not be surprising, unfortunately most of us only dream and bullshit ourselves.

But anytime you want to go flogging GS's out in the bush drop around and we'll go for a spin. Meanwhile I'll wait with bated breath for the Terra to hit the showrooms.
I agree with everything you said. Unfortunately this thread went off on a tangent about the KTM 990 against the R1200GS. I've punted my R1150GS Adv in many places some say it should never have gone! I like people to have a broadened way of thinking rather than making statements without experience.

So lets get back to the subject at hand. I really like the look of the Terra and IMHO they will sell heaps of them!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #245
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,019
Thumb

Quote:

I like, battery / relays / 'puter all placed neatly and easy to reach well done DRF

and that looks like what I need to ditch my useless steel subframe/bash plate now where's my alloy pile...
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #246
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,861
Terra

Calm down pussy cat..

Ohh IMHO of course.

Let talk more about this Terra. I reckon it fills a hole in the market, certainly seems like a modern day DR or KLR.

Jake made some valid points and it is a forum so it is his opinion.

I think the GS is a great bike and can be ridden hard of road, it certainly is not anywhere near as capable off road at the big KATO twins and the tiger 800xc sits some in the middle.

I am surprised the new terra is as heavy as it is, but as DRF stated will be a fantastic all roads tourer especially when conditions turn pear shaped.

Keen to see one in the flesh and here some real life feed back..

Joe

Quote:
Have you ridden either of these bikes off road? Have you owned either bike? Have you never seen a BMW GS ridden off road? Believe me a lot of expensive BMWs and KTMs go off road!

Maybe you need to broaden your mind a bit, watch some You Tube Vids on the BMW R1200GS and actually see how good they are rather than blurting out bull sh#t!

Perhaps you need to include "IMHO" in your posts, that's if you actually have a humble opinion!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #247
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo View Post
Calm down pussy cat..

Ohh IMHO of course.

Let talk more about this Terra. I reckon it fills a hole in the market, certainly seems like a modern day DR or KLR.

Jake made some valid points and it is a forum so it is his opinion.

I think the GS is a great bike and can be ridden hard of road, it certainly is not anywhere near as capable off road at the big KATO twins and the tiger 800xc sits some in the middle.

I am surprised the new terra is as heavy as it is, but as DRF stated will be a fantastic all roads tourer especially when conditions turn pear shaped.

Keen to see one in the flesh and here some real life feed back..

Joe
Thank you Joe for sticking up for Jakey. I am very calm.

Opinions are great but IMHO should be made from experience. I have experience riding all three bikes that you mentioned and Of course the KTM is the better bike off road, that is not being disputed. However, Jake's opinion was that people aren't buying KTM 990's because they are too expensive! So it was pointed out to him by another inmate that people are buying BMW's which are more expensive, to which he answered that people don't ride expensive bikes in the bush or words to that affect! That is when I chimed in stating lots of people ride the R1200GS off road, etc . . . . . . .

Please ensure you read the thread in its entirety and NOT take it out of context!

Please let's get back to discussing the TERRA . . . . . . . As IMHO it is a worthy bike to talk about!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #248
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,861
Hmmm

You are right, how dare I question your experience....

What you have failed on in your comments is assuming you are the only one with any?

Anyway.. Rant over. I wonder when my local shop is getting them on the floor? I will be there tomorrow so I will see what I can find out...

Quote:
Thank you Joe for sticking up for Jakey. I am very calm.

Opinions are great but IMHO should be made from experience. I have experience riding all three bikes that you mentioned and Of course the KTM is the better bike off road, that is not being disputed. However, Jake's opinion was that people aren't buying KTM 990's because they are too expensive! So it was pointed out to him by another inmate that people are buying BMW's which are more expensive, to which he answered that people don't ride expensive bikes in the bush or words to that affect! That is when I chimed in stating lots of people ride the R1200GS off road, etc . . . . . . .

Please ensure you read the thread in its entirety and NOT take it out of context!

Please let's get back to discussing the TERRA . . . . . . . As IMHO it is a worthy bike to talk about!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #249
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo View Post
You are right, how dare I question your experience....

What you have failed on in your comments is assuming you are the only one with any?

Anyway.. Rant over. I wonder when my local shop is getting them on the floor? I will be there tomorrow so I will see what I can find out...
Ok, now you're turning into a bit of a wanker for some reason! ADVJake is man enough to stand up for himself if he was offended in someway, this thread doesnt need inmates like you blowing a small subject out of proportion because you took something out of context!

I never assumed that you or anyone on this site has or has not any experience! If you actually knew me you would know that I am the last person to talk myself up! I was merely letting you know that I do speak with some experience particularly on bikes that you mentioned! Why you have taken upon yourself to create an issue where there isn't one does make me assume that you are a trouble maker not actually wanting to know the truth! Your profile doesn't show your age or bikes that you've owned in the past? I am genuinely interested.

Please refrain from posting anymore quotes towards me. STICK TO THE THREAD SUBJECT!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #250
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,944
Mmmmmmm, I've been keeping a close eye on the Terra because I'd really like a 21" front wheel and more relaxed rake on my front forks. There are 2 points I am debating however. One is weight, the other is suspension travel, as many others have also debated.

My current answers for the way I ride, well for this week anyway, are:

Do I need more suspension when I currently have 190mm of travel and don't bottom out very often. Not sure what I think yet.

In my opinion it's very hard to go past the DR on value for money and performance within its price bracket. With this in mind, the Terra is about 15kg heavier than the DR and my current bike, the Xcountry. Given I am riding the same motor, the Terra is therefore heavier than the Xcountry. But when it comes to the DR things even out a bit more. In most conditions I do about 27km to 1 litre of fuel, which gives my Xcountry a 400km range and the Terra an estimated 378km range. So in harsh conditions when fuel consumption on the DR increases, like sand - which is also increases my crash rate and weight really begins to matter, the DR has to take on a heavier fuel load to do the distance. So in my mind, the Terra's excessive weight doesn't seem so bloated after all. Maybe only 10kg heavier, and once you load her up with farkles and camping gear I'm really not sure it makes much difference. Especial if I lost a few kilos
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #251
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Mmmmmmm, I've been keeping a close eye on the Terra because I'd really like a 21" front wheel and more relaxed rake on my front forks. There are 2 points I am debating however. One is weight, the other is suspension travel, as many others have also debated.

My current answers for the way I ride, well for this week anyway, are:

Do I need more suspension when I currently have 190mm of travel and don't bottom out very often. Not sure what I think yet.

In my opinion it's very hard to go past the DR on value for money and performance within its price bracket. With this in mind, the Terra is about 15kg heavier than the DR and my current bike, the Xcountry. Given I am riding the same motor, the Terra is therefore heavier than the Xcountry. But when it comes to the DR things even out a bit more. In most conditions I do about 27km to 1 litre of fuel, which gives my Xcountry a 400km range and the Terra an estimated 378km range. So in harsh conditions when fuel consumption on the DR increases, like sand - which is also increases my crash rate and weight really begins to matter, the DR has to take on a heavier fuel load to do the distance. So in my mind, the Terra's excessive weight doesn't seem so bloated after all. Maybe only 10kg heavier, and once you load her up with farkles and camping gear I'm really not sure it makes much difference. Especial if I lost a few kilos
Dont get to beat up by the weight. I went thru this and grabbed a 630 which is lighter but still by the figures a heavy bike,yet to ride to me feels quite light.
By the looks of things the terra should carry the weight low. The best info so far in real world riding is over in the tr650 forum on cafe husky .
The way things go it may be a while before we get any local feedback .
Old 10-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #252
"A"
numbum

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Mmmmmmm, I've been keeping a close eye on the Terra because I'd really like a 21" front wheel and more relaxed rake on my front forks.
Put a 21" front wheel on your X country?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #253
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:

A 58hp touring single for under $10K gotta be happy with that.
These bikes are beginning to make more sense to me now
Anyone who's owned a DR650 will know that they can be made to handle really well but are lacking that fun factor in the power department. I think 58 reliable and economical neddies should suffice!

As for weight, it seems to be an advantage on this type of bike in providing a more comfortable ride.

Two questions...does the rear shock have a reservoir and is the fuel injection system known to be reliable (assuming it's basically the BMW setup) ?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #254
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,892
The FI on my Xch never gave a problem.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #255
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,279
You can only fill it with 95. No doubt there'll be some maps come out for 91 sooner or later?
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote