Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #46
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 1,010
"this bike will be less capable than the bike it is replacing, the TE630. The TR650 is a fare bit heavier, has significantly less suspension travel with no indication the non adjustable Sachs forks will be so good they will make up for the travel shortfall."

There has been alot of talk about the sky falling in because this bike is REPLACING the "Best bike in the world"!

Do we know for absolute that this TR650 is replacing the TE630 OR is there just alot of assuming going on??

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #47
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,542
Got me stumped why they would bolt the Voltage Regulator straight on to the side of the engine cylinder block..
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #48
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkel View Post
Please don't assume that I am new to riding. I am in my mid 40's and have been riding off-road bikes since I was 5 and road bikes since I was 16. As you can tell by the amount of times I have commented on threads I don't usually get involved in the banter. If you feel that I am implying you are unintelligent as the saying goes 'if the shoe fits'. Hey I say it as I see it!

If you are not already contributing your obvious expertise to a motorcycle magazine then perhaps you should apply. You will save them a fortune by testing bikes without having to ride them!
Not sure where I made any assumptions about you, unlike you implying others are unintelligent.

If I was writing for a magazine I would say this bike is the best bike ever built and everybody should go out and buy one so the manufactures keep buying adds in my magazine.

I was of the opinion this was a forum and personal opinion was welcomed, I guess I was wrong. I appreciate you like this bike and no doubt there is a market for it but it has now left a hole in Husqvarna's lineup where the 630 and preceding 610 was. From now on I will just nod and agree with others opinions.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #49
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:

Do we know for absolute that this TR650 is replacing the TE630 OR is there just alot of assuming going on??
um was at a dealer today and they said no more 630
the 650's are the replacement
But dealers can sometimes be full of shite like keyboard jockeys
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #50
PiJiL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Let's get our Internet penises out......... :-)
PiJiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #51
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post
Got me stumped why they would bolt the Voltage Regulator straight on to the side of the engine cylinder block..
because there are two threaded holes at the same centres as the VR

I moved mine to the same location to get it out in the breeze, original position was behind the engine where it overheated.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #52
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,542
Mate, Good call, however saying that they are not the only manufacturer to locate the voltage regulator in a dodgy place. 950 SE being another stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
because there are two threaded holes at the same centres as the VR

I moved mine to the same location to get it out in the breeze, original position was behind the engine where it overheated.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #53
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

"I was of the opinion this was a forum and personal opinion was welcomed, I guess I was wrong. I appreciate you like this bike and no doubt there is a market for it but it has now left a hole in Husqvarna's lineup where the 630 and preceding 610 was. From now on I will just nod and agree with others opinions."[/QUOTE]

Tissues anyone for the poor boy crying about a missing 630??!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Old 07-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #54
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,172
Quote:

Tissues anyone for the poor boy crying about a missing 630??!

good sig. line you got there
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #55
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
good sig. line you got there

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #56
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post
They have been there awhile Hodgo, at least this looks like it has some kind of protective cover where the XCH had to rely on aftermarket Touratech. Not that anything ever happened to it.

The one on the TA is beside the exhaust, not ideal.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #57
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
So....

This bike replaces the Xchallenge (i had one) more than the TE630. I doubt it wil have the same aftermarket support. BMW with the G650 and G650 Sertao can claim it, those models have been around for a while. To me, this is more of a marketing exercise. Loyal fans of the TE630 will have to look elsewhere. Are there any 630s still for sale?
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #58
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,513
bulls(h)ittin' around the campfire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
These threads are like talking shit around the campfire. All good fun as long as you don't take it seriously
Seriously!
Maybe... maybe not...

Once upon a time way back in the pre- internet dark ages; motorcycle manufacturers once relied largely on their own designers/engineers and test riders input, when determining the specification of a new model and developing/producing the end product. Sure there was a certain degree of customer/market information; in terms of warranty claims/product failures and feedback gleaned from owners replies/complaints... but all this took time to filter back through the system, to the R&D departments and ultimately to the production line to end up on the showroom.

Since the advent of internet based motorcycle forums and interactive motoring media magazines/websites - much like ADV... just ONE of a plethora of similar sites the world over - for the first time ever manufacturers can witness (if they care to take any notice) real time, current (un-censored or edited) comments and feedback from the very customers they intend to sell their ware to...?

Maybe they are listening... (sometimes)... Perhaps it's just hard for them to deciepher the real message through all of the "campfire bullshit" at times...?

This in relation to the "new?" Husqvarna 650's

New updated design ... maybe?
... but a large backstep in terms of "technology" (IMHO) ... Heavier weight and poorer suspension spec's front and rear ... is that "progress"?

Short legs...?

Less suspension travel; I can partially understand perhaps ... There are many prospective customers / riders in the world who have pointed out over the last 15 - 20 years that most enduro / offroad models have possesed very high saddle height;, which make it more troublesome for those who's a little shorter from the crotch down to the ground, to touch the bootsoles when the technical / troublesome situations arise.

Think back to the "man in the street" comments made about just about every KTM offroad model made since the early 1990's (LC4 620, 640 Adventure, SuperEnduro, ALL of the EXC range); without exception just about every person that speaks about these bikes comments ends with... "but they are bl¤¤dy tall in the saddle if you are less than about five foot'/eight" (@ 170 cms) tall..."

As a motorcycle which is intended for the "dual sport" market; an application for those individuals who perhaps do not require the pinnacle of MX/enduro performance from the suspension component;, then maybe there is some ulterior motive in Husqvarna's choice of a 190mm specification on the boingers the new 650....?

But it's certainly not much to hang in the Christmas tree for those of us out there who were waiting for a "real offroad bike" as the logical replacement for TE 610/630/G650Xchallenge. On paper the 650 Terra does not (really) fit that mould - not according to me anyway.

Overweight...?

Something I can not understand though is; WHY with all modern manufacturing techniques and material technology available today, can't they build off-road motorcycles that are not 20 kg HEAVIER than the corresponding models from 20 - 25 years ago ...??? !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #59
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,771
Maybe this is more suitable then.

Old school looks, modern technology!

"It recommends itself to all lovers of long trips across country or crunchy
pleasure trips in the evening and on weekends.".

http://zpmoto.de/?pg=zpsport449

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #60
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,513
Wunderbar...

Sehr gutt Herr Cruz!

Simple, no fuss, effective design... wonder how long it will take the ZP boys to grab some bulk buy surplus stock F650 motors from the Rotax/Beemer warehouse and build their own retro DKW "Rommel of the Desert" adventure replica...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote