Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #616
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
Here is my take on the bike. As a backgrounder I have owned 3 DR650s, done lots of miles on KLR650S, G650GS, Sertao etc. etc.
Happy to hear your feedback/suggestions/questions so I can add to the review to make it better. There was no real technical sections to the launch or challenging terrain which was unfortunate but we still got a good ride in.
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/hus...TR650_Test.htm

I hate to admit it but having done almost 7,000 k on mine the review is about right. The engine still amazes me - it is incredibly flexible - it is a single but it ain't no thumper - silky at 140kph.

I'm riding mine down to Safety Beach Fabricators in Vic tomorrow (600 plus ks) to drink beer and make racks.

It is a bit fluffy down low...

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #617
wisejangrae
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'm riding mine down to Safety Beach Fabricators in Vic tomorrow (600 plus ks) to drink beer and make racks.

.................................................. .................................................

Hmm, if that's down to B & S's ? let him know Graeme (just down the road in Dromana) has two small benders & small folder that your welcome to use

G

[/QUOTE]
wisejangrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #618
davorallyfan
Commonist

Yes B&S's and maybe.

Just worried about the weather warnings for tomorrow arvo Packed wets!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #619
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I hate to admit it but having done almost 7,000 k on mine the review is about right. The engine still amazes me - it is incredibly flexible - it is a single but it ain't no thumper - silky at 140kph.

It is a bit fluffy down low...

Cheers mate, enjoy your bike. I think the fluffy down low bit is done on purpose by BMW generally, to make the engine real soft down low for when you have crap tyres on and/or a crap rider. I mean the normal G650GS donk back to back with Yamaha XT660R, you would swear the Yamaha has 10 more horsepower as it is so crisp and hard hitting off the bottom while the G 650 is just so soft off the bottom, but I have done side by side standing start drags etc. with XT660R and G 650 GS and they are level pegged, the Yamaha gets a jump out of the hole but then the BMW stays with it and the Yamaha does not pull away. If I hadn't done it back to back numerous times I would never have believed it, as the Yamaha just feels so more powerful. This is what makes me think the softness down low is done on purpose.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #620
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
New video

Interesting review:

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #621
BurraBob
Monarch #87

Oddometer: 251
Davo looking at the scenery after his rack was completed
BurraBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #622
davorallyfan
Commonist

Just got in from the peninsula (Mornington - Canberra via Barry Way).

Pre dawn to 5.15 pm

Still loving the bike ...butt my arse.

Picked up a piece of Contemporary art.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 02:12 AM
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #623
gregjet
old noob

Oddometer: 6
My first post on this forum.
Just bought my Strada.
Took it for a test ride and couldn't stop grinning.
Ok some background and thoughts:
I bought the bike to go WITH my BMW F800R. I currently live in Townsville in the tropics and have been road racing for a few years, which colours my view of desirable traits etc for a motorcycle. I am about to move to Bundaberg which after visiting there and checking out the extensive hard top but very bumpy roads in the area made me consider buying something lighter and longer travel for local touring.
The Strada was a revelation in terms of ease of ride. Incredibly flickable and confidence inspiring. Has the same mid weighted stable feel of my F800R but so much more responsive. The motor is ridiculously smooth for a single , certainly up to 120kph , which is a s fast as I would go on a public road EVER ( roads are for riding , tracks are for racing). Remarkably little wind buffetting right up to 120kph even with the overwide bars ( OK maybe I need to learn to motard it ). Suspension for rough tar roads is very good, though it may deteriorate with time as lower spec shocks wear in a bit.
The front tyre is good for dirt roads but NOT as good on the bitumen. It makes the bike feel quite resistant to turning because of the massive gyroscope it forms. I don't think you can simply put a 17" on it because it would stuff up the ABS because getting a closely enough matching front and rear tyre size looks like it would be difficult. The 3.5" rear rim makes it difficult to fit a wider lower profile rear to match a smaller front. Perhaps a lighter matched 17" set should be a husky over the counter offering. I would like to buy one for my girlfriend to replace her ageing SV650 but cannot see how I could get it short enough for her to touch the ground. Smaller diameter, lighter 17" would go a long way to dropping the seat down low enough to only have to lower the suspension height without seriously radical surgery on the suspension. Either way I would have to make a longer lowering linkage for the back.
The double exhaust is RIDICULOUS for a single. Unbelievably heavier than it needs to be. A nice under bike single muffler would be preferable for the strada and leave the high exhaust for the Terra with a SINGLE outlet. It would also allow fitting closer panniers.
Seat is OK but after the BMW F800R seat anything is OK.
Put slightly narrower and lower bars as designed for rough roads rather than off road and to reduce the parachute sitting position and reduce the interscapula tension.
Being from the tropics , the forward facing pressurising air inlet with a paper filter is a worry in the tropical rain. may have to source a rag or foam replacement.
I have ordered the Husky panniers so I will report on them when I finally get them. out due in Oz , apparently, until April.

On a separate issue about the rough running and fuel octane on that terra. Did they put BP 98 octane fuel in it. It won't explain the sticking throttle but does explain the hard starting and /or rough low rpm.
A couple or so years ago I had to change from using 98 octane fuel I used for racing ( production motorcycles ) because the formula had changed so much the bikes started running real crap , especially a starting, idle and low throttle openings. Certainly BP 98 is designed for ultra high compression and turbo/supercharged motors now. The activation energy is extremely high and most normally aspirated motors DO NOT RUN WELL on it. Did some research and raced since on 95 octane. Consistently smoother and better power delivery especially if you buy just after they have the tanks filled at the servo. Unless you motor is designed to run 91 ( alky or plain) don't use it except for riding with low throttle openings ( commuting?).

How did Cruz know about KTM/Husky so early??
gregjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #624
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
Hey gregjet what about a BMW g650 Xcountry for your girl? She shouldn't have any worries about the standover height and its got the lovely Rotax engine.

I think I can say I've taken mine most places, and its not hard to find a low km bike second hand.

The Rotax engine is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the Terra.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #625
davorallyfan
Commonist

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #626
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,059
looks like this bike may be what the Xchallenge should have been; If it is, let's hope it has a longer production life. Are you going to do anything with the suspension, DRF, or leave it as it is? The shitty front suspension they fitted to the Xc was criminal, and the rear downright weird.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 05:39 PM
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #627
davorallyfan
Commonist

The suspension is super - not touching it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #628
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
looks like this bike may be what the Xchallenge should have been; If it is, let's hope it has a longer production life. Are you going to do anything with the suspension, DRF, or leave it as it is? The shitty front suspension they fitted to the Xc was criminal, and the rear downright weird.
Too true re the XC. Got mine well and truely sorted now so I'll be keeping it for a good while. Shame the Terra didn't have a bit more suspension travel (for me).
At least Ill have a good scorce for a new motor when mine gets tired. Assuming mounting points haven't been altered.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #629
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Test rode one today, now i know what the reviews meant by the motor, that thing is a gem. I've ridden pretty much all the big bore duallies, and this motor has them all beat.
I wish i could have ridden it off-road though, the suspension felt nice on the road, but i really want to know how it feels when you start picking up the pace abit, and the terrain starts getting choppy.

The build quality seems good to me, and the dash is nice, besides being somewhat inaccurate with its fuel economy and engine temperature. Certainly better build quality than the TE610 i owned, and this bike is 2 grand cheaper.

Seems theres no shortage of them, dealer in sydney can get one in within a week.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #630
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Suspension figures may look a little light, however, when the sum of it's components work you might find that you don't need 220mm of travel
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote