Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #61
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,705
Troy, can you enlighten us as to what a crunchy pleasure trip in the evening is?

I am starting to get a bit worried after reading Canoeguy's last two posts in the Simpson dual crossing thread.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #62
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Troy, can you enlighten us as to what a crunchy pleasure trip in the evening is?
ZPsport 449 is the perfect choice for exciting countryside tours or short blasts in the evening or on week-ends. *

* Using the "union jack" icon at the bottom left of the link http://zpmoto.de/?pg=zpsport449 will give you a better translation of the article than google translate does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #63
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,885
I still want one, swap the forks out from my 510, and got the baby I want. Up 10hp from the Dakar, economy, reliability go the Husky. When does it come in to the shops ?? yeahhhh baby.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #64
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Maybe... maybe not...

Once upon a time way back in the pre- internet dark ages; motorcycle manufacturers once relied largely on their own designers/engineers and test riders input, when determining the specification of a new model and developing/producing the end product. Sure there was a certain degree of customer/market information; in terms of warranty claims/product failures and feedback gleaned from owners replies/complaints... but all this took time to filter back through the system, to the R&D departments and ultimately to the production line to end up on the showroom.

Since the advent of internet based motorcycle forums and interactive motoring media magazines/websites - much like ADV... just ONE of a plethora of similar sites the world over - for the first time ever manufacturers can witness (if they care to take any notice) real time, current (un-censored or edited) comments and feedback from the very customers they intend to sell their ware to...?

Maybe they are listening... (sometimes)... Perhaps it's just hard for them to deciepher the real message through all of the "campfire bullshit" at times...?
Pity they only care about the US market. But if you're listening Yamaha, WR450R PLEASE!!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #65
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Pity they only care about the US market. But if you're listening Yamaha, WR450R PLEASE!!

yes please.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #66
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Would have to be a WR500R though, which would be even better.

But a lot heavier. And then people will complain.

xronly
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #67
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Hmmm might just stick to the good ole DRZ
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #68
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
Because there is nothing positive about the bike.. Oh it looks nice... i guess? might be reliable i suppose...

DR650 is lighter, has more suspension travel, and an unlimited aftermarket following. Why would anyone buy this motorcycle? Maybe just because its shiny and european... And this is coming from someone who has an Husqvarna 610 right now, a 6 year old bike that blows this thing out of the water, and i dont even need to ride it to know.
Perhaps because they want more than 34hp at the tyre? This motor would rip a DR a new arse and actually have some serious squirt.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #69
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The other thing to consider is that Euro brands are pretty on the money with power and weight claims, while the Japanese brands seem to pluck figures out of the air. As in a 147kg DR650, with the engine out maybe :-)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #70
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,048
Still a valid point though (the weight one). Considering it hasn't got fairings etc (that's good I reckon) and even taking it's soft off roader (fine by me personally) intent into account, the bike is a bit heavy. It certainly wouldn't suffer for being about 20 kilos lighter.......would it?

Still, for what it is looks alright, depending on the price. I'll believe $10,000 when I see it, though the way prices are going I suppose anything's possible. Now the bikes are closer in market positioning to the BMW, surely the parent company wouldn't want direct price competition? On the other hand I suppose a few ads. would soon aim them at different markets and solve that.

What's the fit and finish like? BMW like or still have the same Husqvarna "unique character"? Maybe improvements in that area are responsible for at least some of the extra weight?
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #71
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All good questions. 10k was only my hopeful guess. But if you look at what Husky did with the Nuda ($13,990), they matched the BMW model it was based on despite having more power, better components and better styling. The G650GS is $11,990 + on roads, but BMW are currently offering $2000 factory rebate on these, $2300 rebate on the Sertao.... Thus I arrived at 10k as my hope, thinking/hoping that Feeney (Husky importer) is going to have a red hot go with these.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #72
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,048
Well with prices generally on the way down it's certainly feasible. The Yamaha XT660R.....very similar on paper (almost identical weight, seat height, output etc though the Husqy has the advantage of heaps better ground clearance ) is now $10,000.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #73
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Be nice if they got the 660 Tenere down towards that sort of $$$
As an observation... It is amazing the difference between the Yam 660 and the BMW 650, you ride the Yam in isolation and it's abrupt and punchy throttle response makes you feel as though it has absolutely shitloads more power than a G650GS, then you run them side by side, and there is sweet FA in it, the Yam punches / hits hard off the line to get half a length, then the gap is maintained and it doesn't get away any further from the BMW.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #74
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

If you do a pipe mod/slip on, air filter (and a slight richer tune on the Rotax) I have found the XCH would easily leave a similar modded 660, all through the rev range.
They run very lean oem though.

xronly
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #75
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,075

don't look to bad from this angle
but there's more than looks at stake
oh and price them yanks reckon around 7000 so about 12000 aussie sound right