Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #91
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
As a motorcycle which is intended for the "dual sport" market; an application for those individuals who perhaps do not require the pinnacle of MX/enduro performance from the suspension component;, then maybe there is some ulterior motive in Husqvarna's choice of a 190mm specification on the boingers the new 650....?
Yeah but if I'm giving up 100mm of suspension travel going from my 640 I'd expect more than a 35mm lower seat.

Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #92
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Just think of your haemerrhoids :-)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #93
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,151
Don't like the trend towards shorter suspension travel? Blame Charley & Ewan! (figuratively speaking)

It's widely claimed that the (much vaunted by some) upsurge in the popularity of "adventure riding" (symbolised by C&E) has produced a wider range of suitable machinery, and a superficial look at bikes available would seem to support that claim. However, as we all know, a slightly closer look reveals something slightly different......a wide range of bikes that look the part but are heavier, have less suspension travel etc etc than their predecessors. Because the look has become the fashion, manufacturers have met the market by producing that look without the "drawbacks" (to the fashion driven mass market) of high seat, lesser comfort levels etc. that come with a machine that really lives up to that look.

The're all doing it. Over the last few years the 950/990 has got progressively lower at the expense of suspension travel. I'd happily stand corrected on this last example but hasn't the mighty 690 even been giving up a bit of travel lately?

woopwoop screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 07:14 PM Reason: Editing's sake
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #94
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,120
I guess this 650 is to appeal to a larger market who will only ride back roads and maybe easy trails - all about the $$ .

Same reason we cant try on good adv/dirt bike gear like klim in shops . Seemly the market in Oz is not there ?

Cant see why they couldnt have a "R" version with more suspension - maybe touratech will pimp it
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #95
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,764
If Touratech pimped it then no one could ford it.

Can see no reason why you can't ride the harder trails on it, it will just be a bit slower, have to pick your lines better?

Will be a wait and see bike to work out if they have hit the spot or not.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #96
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Can see no reason why you can't ride the harder trails on it, it will just be a bit slower, have to pick your lines better?
Yep
it's got the about the same travel and weight as my klr
but does have more power
i'm guessing the suspension would work better
hmmm
so i guess if they are around $8000 they'll sell heaps

might take a few years before the thing gets ironed out
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #97
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The normal G650GS has shitloads more power than a KLR650, which has same sort of power as Dr650. And this one is meant to be 10hp up on a G650GS, which to my mind would make it the most powerful big single out there as even the KTM 690 is soggy blanket until modified.
Can't see much ironing out needed, all tried and tested stuff pretty much...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #98
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,764
Trev, have you heard when you guys are getting one to ride at release time or to test? Dealer has heard nothing, but thinks it may be late September with other 2013 model releases.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #99
Clacka
motomofo

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkel View Post
Another Expert?!!!
Mate, earlier in this thread you said you were sick of negativity. All I've seen you do in here is hang shit on other inmates who express their opinion which is why we're all here.

Maybe take some advice from your own sig line and have a look at yourself before posting about others.
2004 HD 1200 Custom Sporty (Harold) FOR SALE
sortof...
1978 Yamaha TT500 (The Beast) (sold)
Clacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #100
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Trev, have you heard when you guys are getting one to ride at release time or to test? Dealer has heard nothing, but thinks it may be late September with other 2013 model releases.
No knowledge yet, overseas will get them first for sure. I reckon us in November some time.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #101
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
No knowledge yet, overseas will get them first for sure. I reckon us in November some time.
I had my TE serviced at the dealer a couple of weeks ago & if I recall correctly they said they were expecting the new bikes to arrive around September, and confirmed the TE630 will be no more.

Interestingly they also said the Nuda wasn't selling that well.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #102
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT View Post
The normal G650GS has shitloads more power than a KLR650, which has same sort of power as Dr650. And this one is meant to be 10hp up on a G650GS, which to my mind would make it the most powerful big single out there as even the KTM 690 is soggy blanket until modified.
Can't see much ironing out needed, all tried and tested stuff pretty much...
So what it's got 10 more HP Whoopie! Not much good if can't use it stuck on top of a 200mm rock.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #103
Matt D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post
$8K? Serious? No way. I'll bet you they are at least $10,990 but probably closer to $11,990. I'd guess they will sell a modest amount but not flood the market. I would think the R&D costs of the bike would be quite low as it's using a lot of parts that have been around for a while now… I just think its great to have another option. Competition makes companies provide better products for lower prices…
Might be a tad optimistic, but when you compare what you actually get with other bikes on the market, $8-9K seems like a fair valuation. DR650s can be had for $7k onroad, KLR for about $8k, XT660R can be had for around $9k... And when you can buy a DL650 for $10k onroad I think that kind of puts it in perspective. Take away all the shiny bits and bodywork, what you are left with is a pile of very low spec parts on the Husky.. Will be very interesting to see how Husky price it, I think it'll be a flop if not priced extremely sharply. They're dreaming if they think they can price an unproven, obscure and Italian built pile of snot significantly above the previously mentioned jap bikes and actually make an impact on the price sensitive "soft core" market that they seem to be trying so desperately to get a share of..
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #104
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Might be a tad optimistic, but when you compare what you actually get with other bikes on the market, $8-9K seems like a fair valuation. DR650s can be had for $7k onroad, KLR for about $8k, XT660R can be had for around $9k... And when you can buy a DL650 for $10k onroad I think that kind of puts it in perspective. Take away all the shiny bits and bodywork, what you are left with is a pile of very low spec parts on the Husky.. Will be very interesting to see how Husky price it, I think it'll be a flop if not priced extremely sharply. They're dreaming if they think they can price an unproven, obscure and Italian built pile of snot significantly above the previously mentioned jap bikes and actually make an impact on the price sensitive "soft core" market that they seem to be trying so desperately to get a share of..
Agree with what you say, but maybe their bean counters think they are competing with the 690 ($$$++), not those Jap riff raff
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #105
jimmy101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
well i only wish i bought 2x te630's now Cant believe such woeful travel..... and weight!!! Please BMW leave you cafe racers with your badge and keep husky dirty!
jimmy101 is offline   Reply With Quote