Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #301
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
is that the missile kit on the 250r? i seen the kits and they are nice. have you seen that crf450r with the atv tires around the internet that is trick! but for us we need street legal stuff lol! yea playing around with a tw tire would be a good start. i know what you mean by no turning back! i was commited when i grinded my brake tabs off and widened my swingarm. yea i think with a little narrower rim the tw tire will suck in a bit maybe enough to fit on the xr with a little work. i was thinking on a tw rear on the front of my dakar but dont know if i will or not. the tw tire is a good strong dot tire. its rated at over 900 lbs and p speed rated which i think is 96mph or around there.how about the earlier steel xr swingarm as a start? they would be easy to weld and modify.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #302
Dubster
sweaty bollocks

Oddometer: 2
Talking

Kubiak, I just joined these forums to say...

YOU ARE A LEGEND!!! That thing looks freaking awesome

Been crazy missing my old t-dub since i had to leave it with my mate in Thailand - the lucky git - always been on the look out for a replacement since but, like you said, those things could really do with a bit more muscle... looks like this is the perfect solution

To be honest, I've been looking for something like this for a long long time. Now to brush up on those welding skills...

Much respect to you sir!
Dubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #303
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
is that the missile kit on the 250r? i seen the kits and they are nice. have you seen that crf450r with the atv tires around the internet that is trick! but for us we need street legal stuff lol! yea playing around with a tw tire would be a good start. i know what you mean by no turning back! i was commited when i grinded my brake tabs off and widened my swingarm. yea i think with a little narrower rim the tw tire will suck in a bit maybe enough to fit on the xr with a little work. i was thinking on a tw rear on the front of my dakar but dont know if i will or not. the tw tire is a good strong dot tire. its rated at over 900 lbs and p speed rated which i think is 96mph or around there.how about the earlier steel xr swingarm as a start? they would be easy to weld and modify.
No I think that one was shop built. The Missile kits have a one piece rear fender/body panel. That moto-mule 450R dune bike is nice but if you read the build thread he intensionally took the long road, if that's good or bad I don't know.

Now I'm thinking the TW tire just might be doable on an XR. If you add up a narrower rim, a Kubiak roller to keep the chain off the tire, and some work on the swing arm, then add an XRR front sprocket offset a few MM then add a rear sprocket spacer that same distance, plus lace the rim to get more clearance. Maybe?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #304
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubster View Post
Kubiak, I just joined these forums to say...

YOU ARE A LEGEND!!! That thing looks freaking awesome

Been crazy missing my old t-dub since i had to leave it with my mate in Thailand - the lucky git - always been on the look out for a replacement since but, like you said, those things could really do with a bit more muscle... looks like this is the perfect solution

To be honest, I've been looking for something like this for a long long time some . Now to brush up on those welding skills...

Much respect to you sir!
thanks Dubster! yea i love the setup. just got home from a 230 mile ride up in the hills!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #305
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
No I think that one was shop built. The Missile kits have a one piece rear fender/body panel. That moto-mule 450R dune bike is nice but if you read the build thread he intensionally took the long road, if that's good or bad I don't know.

Now I'm thinking the TW tire just might be doable on an XR. If you add up a narrower rim, a Kubiak roller to keep the chain off the tire, and some work on the swing arm, then add an XRR front sprocket offset a few MM then add a rear sprocket spacer that same distance, plus lace the rim to get more clearance. Maybe?
yea sounds like its worth a try. a little work here and there till everything fits is how i got mine to work. the local yamaha dealer was wondering why i was in there with a measuring tape a few times! let me know if you need measurements for parts. cant believe you remember my roller chain guide from years ago!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #306
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

finally settled on 20 discs on the supertrapp muffler. the bike gets about 65mpg now with it!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #307
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

heres my shop before i had kids
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #308
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

heres the same shop 8 years later. lol!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #309
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Cool2 Shop space

That is funny!
What happened?
The kids take everything with them?

What a shop!
What possibilities!!!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #310
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Kubiak, nice buid! Like your other builds I have seen on the 4strokes.com site this one is another top notch build. Interesting combination, as the BMW 650 is a great bike with a lot more potential than BMW uses it for. Curious how it sounds with the Surpertrapp. The stock F650 has nothign for exhaust tone.

I bet that thing would be a hoot in the snow!

I was going to suggest calling it a WOFAT650, but your name is better.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #311
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
That is funny!
What happened?
The kids take everything with them?

What a shop!
What possibilities!!!
no the kids are priority now. most all my time and money goes to the kids these days but i have to have one bike at least! it will get better soon as they are hooked on riding their quads. soon i will have the whole family going on dualsport rides with me!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #312
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Kubiak, nice buid! Like your other builds I have seen on the 4strokes.com site this one is another top notch build. Interesting combination, as the BMW 650 is a great bike with a lot more potential than BMW uses it for. Curious how it sounds with the Surpertrapp. The stock F650 has nothign for exhaust tone.

I bet that thing would be a hoot in the snow!

I was going to suggest calling it a WOFAT650, but your name is better.
i have tried about a dozen exhausts on the dakar and ended up with the supertrapp. it sounds the best for sure with 20 discs in it and i can pull out discs to go quiet again if needed. plus spark arrester legal and over 60mpg again!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #313
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

still working on getting lower weight or weight lower on bike. moved shock preload adjuster.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #314
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

bolted on the pass footpeg bolt.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #315
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer

lower and farther back for easier wheelies