Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Found the picture !

2010 took the rail up to Bungalow at the top of the mountain

It was raining sideways, the race that day was called.

The folks at the train station let people hang out in the offices, stairwells and everywhere to stay out of the rain. Had a great time !
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
Thumb Experience = do it.

As the above post shows - take great wet weather gear.

And a great tent. Some who camped also bought plastic painters drop sheets - and used them AS well as a tent. Looked like a good idea, though it only drizzled one day for the week when I went.

The Glenlough camp site is where I staid, there was a beer tent on site, so no worries there. And if your lazy you can view the race from the northern edge of the camp ground. The facilities are not new but serviceable.

You'll ride the race circuit more than once. When choosing a view point please consider what happens if a racer crashes, you don't want to be in the line of fire. Year went I think it was 4 racers died, and 4 spectators died from the crashes. I chose my view points with a lot of consideration for the trajectory lines and possible speeds. I did not chose places where speeds were high. Your choice.

It is a good thing to do, even if you don't like normal racing! The Isle of Man has a lot packed into it. If I go again I'll spend 2 weeks - do the practice week as well. Maybe even stay a few days after the race ends

--------------------
As for the
abandoned camping gear at the end of the TT, the farmers need their sheds for farming ... so the abandoned gear gets scraped.

Warin screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 03:14 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,302
Reading your updates has me excited as if I'm going this year, but alas, my trip is 2 years off. About half of my group wants to stay in a small inn of some sort, but I'm pushing for the camping experience. I will be so happy to be there, I wouldn't care if rain were blowing up my kilt!

We plan to rent bikes in the London area, and keep them for the time we are on IOM. Once the race is over, 80% of our group is heading back to the US. At that point, my wife and I will rent a small car to complete our UK loop (we will need plenty of storage space for bottles of various spirits).

Have you thought about one of those travel cots? I don't know the name, but quite a few riders carry them. The legs are only about 10cm long, and they fold up small.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm going!!!!

Booked my flights,

Booked my camping adventure

Booked a nice 990 to ride

All I need to do is Pack !

It's nice to be me !
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Aye, I'm up for a good craic! That's why the camping option had to be done.

As for why Bill @ Bike Tours UK, see my reply above ;-)

yeah i see your point, just wanted to point out that you'd easily save well over 200 by sorting that stuff yourself and it wouldnt even be hard to do.

you going to buy a bike just to ride at the TT? you must have money to throw away lol. why not rent one? if you buy a bike you will need to get it registered to yourself at an address in the uk and make sure it has a current MOT and is taxed, and you will have to insure it which will be a bummer. you rent it all that is covered.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Oddometer: 139
Just chill and enjoy it...for a first visit I would consider flying here or travelling as a foot passenger on the ferry...the roads can get very manic (no speed limits on the open road) and some visitors I've spoken to find it very intimidating...riding standards can vary and some are piss poor...also throw into the mix locals both on bikes and in high performance cars things do get a little wild.

Has anyone considered the Manx Grand Prix...many prefer it to the TT...and there is the added bonus of the Classic Bike Festival at Jurby...the weather is often kinder to us being later in the year.

If anyone has any specific questions...or has problems whilst on the Island get in touch...

wideload@manx.net

...I will try to help...or come and introduce yourself (I've met quite a few people off here)...I'm the larger of the two DSM's at Ballaugh Bridge on practice/race days.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #22
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Just chill and enjoy it...for a first visit I would consider flying here or travelling as a foot passenger on the ferry...the roads can get very manic (no speed limits on the open road) and some visitors I've spoken to find it very intimidating...riding standards can vary and some are piss poor...also throw into the mix locals both on bikes and in high performance cars things do get a little wild.
when i was over i saw speed limits on all normal roads and have heard that cops can be quite strict, except over the mountain but they impose one sometimes during the TT dont they
Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

There are some limits added for TT (that are not normally present) due to past accidents etc...but there are many sections of open road with no limit...Cronk-y-voddy, Bishopscourt, Ballaugh through to Sulby and the Moutain Road from Gooseneck to Keppel Gate...also quite a few away from the roads that constitiute the TT course.

The Mountain Road remains 'one way' from Ramsey Hairpin through to Creg-ny-baa for the whole of TT practice and race weeks (its a pain...but most locals never drive/ride against the direction of the TT course when roads are open...its just too dangerous)...although the IOM POlice often close it completely due to serious road accidents.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,477
I have become obsessed with the idea of going to my first TT within the next couple years. This thread has some good info (although I'm still completely lost ).

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
WIDELOAD
Bunburyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I have become obsessed with the idea of going to my first TT within the next couple years. This thread has some good info (although I'm still completely lost ).
Have a look here...

http://www.iomtt.com
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
...you going to buy a bike just to ride at the TT?
In North America the term "booked" means that it is reserved. For example, a person might book a rental car to make sure it is available when they get there. It is a little confusing, since you also might book a flight, which means it is both reserved and paid for.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
Forde
Studly Adventurer

not sure what you mean. he said he was going to purchase a bike in the uk to ride at the TT, which is a massive waste of money as buying and insuring an old bike will cost you a lot more than renting an awesome new one for a week. also you cant register or insure it unless you have a uk address. most people wouldnt even sell you a bike as the "title" has to be transferred to the new owner, so if you have no uk address and they cant transfer the title to you that would leave them responsible for the bike in the eyes of the law.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Why Lost ?

What you need cleared up ?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #29
Forde
Studly Adventurer

its not that hard mate bounce onto a plane and go to the isle of man the first week in june, work the rest out when you get there.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

110days, 40hours, and 30, 29, 28, 27.........till it starts !

Yes,,,, just finished watching TT3D, 2010, again