ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #16
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Tat

GMM,

Smithville hook up is good for TAT. I'm scheduling to be off on Friday when we head out...I'm flexible on depart time from Smithville. Since you're the first to comfirm give me an idea on when you would come through S-ville and we'll post time and let others plan accordingly.

I'm itching for BSF and will likely head up there this Sunday 06-05. Can definitely go again on another day trip except for Sunday June 19.

Jim
Old 06-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I did Cookeville (N of Sparta on I40) to the MS line last weekend, then paved backroads back to Cookeville. Most of its paved and the balance is pretty much graded gravel - there's not much that would be sloppy when wet. I went down on this stream crossing by trying to cross the trench area obliquely (red). My friend (standing) was smart and followed the yellow route. Two other stream crossings were bare slate with slime. Just foot-paddle through and the rest of its a pussy cat.

The roll charts were so accurate that's all we really needed. Neither of us had a GPS. There are about 3-4 places where you might have to hunt up & down 1/4 mile to find the turn.

Steve

sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM   #18
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Zebra,

I will take Friday off for our trip, so I can come meet you in S-ville anytime. I guess we can wait to see if anyone else is coming along. As for me, the earlier the better. I guess I could be up there around 9:30 (OK not so early), it takes about an hour or so to get there from here without pushing too hard (I can sleep in a little too ) I will be coming up HWY 96 to 70 into S-ville.

Can't go to BSF this weekend, I'm waiting on a new back tire and sprockets for the KTM. I can probably go a little later in the month. Maybe the last weekend of June. I will let you know, and we will see if we can make the trip.

sstodvictory,

Thanks for the info on the trail, sounds like a piece of cake. Why don't you come along with us? I like the pics of the water crossing, at least I can see where I will be falling down .

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #19
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
Mileage

When we did Tenn, Miss., and Arkansas last year----- the first day we started in Sparta and rode 254 miles to Lawrenceburg, Tenn. Then the next day rode 215 miles to Holly Springs, Mississippi. Not hard days ---but we did get a very early start and rode all day.
So you can do Tennesee really easy in 2 days and have time to get lost a lot. We never got lost---as we used some good GPS info I created with Sam's maps.
I left the maps at home.

Plan on doing some of this on the slick crossings---be careful--you could really hurt yourself on these things.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #20
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstodvictory
I did Cookeville (N of Sparta on I40) to the MS line last weekend, then paved backroads back to Cookeville. Most of its paved and the balance is pretty much graded gravel - there's not much that would be sloppy when wet. .....
It sounds like pavement oriented dual-sport tires will be the ticket for this trip.

Any more thoughts or information on camping options along the TN section of the trail?
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #21
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,646
[QUOTE=leeo45]It sounds like pavement oriented dual-sport tires will be the ticket for this trip.

Yep---dual sports tires will get you by in the Tennessee section---if you get into Mississippi-----pray it is dry--even if you have knobbies--believe me on this one.

You can see our trip here: http://www.bigdogadventures.com/TAT2004.htm
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #22
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeo45
It sounds like pavement oriented dual-sport tires will be the ticket for this trip.

Any more thoughts or information on camping options along the TN section of the trail?
One section passes close to Pickwick Dam and the campsite there. It's just below (south) where the Savannah to Selmer section is. You can pretty much bail off the trail and motel it without too much trouble and diversion.

Depending on the dates, I'll ride with you guys for a good chunk of it, especially if you trek into MS for a bit.

If it's been wet, as you get to MS, 606's or MT21's would be a better bet than a less aggressive tire like a Sahara, etc. Like the BigDog says, it can get sloppy if it's been raining much.

This part near Walnut, MS seems to always bee muddy:

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 06-01-2005 at 07:49 PM Reason: added pic
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #23
GMM
Adventurer

Gaspipe,

I'm up for MS if you will lead the way, I can take a couple of extra days off if necessary. TN sounds fun, but I'm up for a little more of a challenge. Besides I have a new MT 21 on the way.

BTW, Pickwick dam has a pretty good camping area.

Greg
Old 06-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #24
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM
Besides I have a new MT 21 on the way.
Hey, that's cheating. That worn one on the bike was there for a reason [handicap]. You're 'sposed to run 'em 'til they're stripers. I have a new rear one on the way for my RXC since I have to put a bottom end in my 640 and I won't get to it 'til Fall or Winter.

6/17-20 I'll be in NC, and the middle of July I have to go to NYC. Otherwise, I'm planless and clueless - and wide open. And I know the MS sections pretty well out to at least Sardis Lake or so.

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #25
GMM
Adventurer

July 15-17 is when we are planning on riding the TN section, if you are in NYC on these dates, maybe we could plan a ride on the MS section of the TAT for September?? After looking at all the pics of the MS and AR section, I just have to go check it out. BTW I love the KTM, I have only put a couple hundred miles on it so I'm still getting to know it.

Greg
Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 PM   #26
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM
.......sstodvictory,

Thanks for the info on the trail, sounds like a piece of cake. Why don't you come along with us? I like the pics of the water crossing, at least I can see where I will be falling down .

Greg
Can't make it but thanks for the invite. I'm saving vacation days for Deals Gap on my Vic, then CO on my XR.
Steve
sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #27
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Tat

GMM,

Sounds like you'll come through Smithville around 10:30 ish? Sounds good.
Earlier is ok too.
I'm 1/4 mi off of 70 and will PM directions when we get closer.

Those water crossing pics look good. Bike and me will need a wash and rinse
about that time...I'll wear my water wings!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #28
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Pretty sure mid july is NFW for me, but ya never know. Maybe we can take three days later on and go do the MS/AR run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM
July 15-17 is when we are planning on riding the TN section, if you are in NYC on these dates, maybe we could plan a ride on the MS section of the TAT for September??
Greg

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #29
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Thumb

Gaspipe, Sorry to hear not making it...

A riding buddy from Murfreesboro and another acquaintence (sp?) called me today to say they're riding. With Greg that makes 4 so far....?

I'm programming GPS...what a PIA. I have basic etrex about 5 yrs old...only
way to put way points in is by mindless repetitive button clicking. Fig it! A little Crown helps the data entry go much smoother though!

Jim
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #30
GMM
Adventurer

Gaspipe,

Since it sounds like you can't make the ride in July, Let's plan to ride the MS section in Sept. I will get back with you to firm things up in a month or so.

Zebra,

Easy on the Crown, I don't want to end up in Ohio . I plan on following you so program that thing up right. BTW, I have a roll chart holder from my enduro days if you want to use it for a back-up. Man I'm really looking forward to this ride. Any ideas where we will be camping? I'm planning to travel very light, so I will not be carrying a stove or food. Restaraunts for me.

I know I'm getting way ahead here, but how were you planning to come back? Have you given any thought to coming back on the Natchez Trace Parkway? Pretty scenic ride, but you have to keep the speed at 50 mph.

Greg