ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #31
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zebra
I'm programming GPS...what a PIA. I have basic etrex about 5 yrs old...only way to put way points in is by mindless repetitive button clicking. Fig it! A little Crown helps the data entry go much smoother though!

Jim
Well, that doesn't sound like any fun at all. When we rode the MS Hill Country Trail I did all the GPS input on the PC and downloaded it to the unit. It was 356 waypoints and 470 miles. There is no way I would have done that on the handheld GPS.
leeo45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #32
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 307
Talking

Ok, this trip might be a good excuse to buy a GPS with more features/software....I'll do some checking...

Greg, I'm researching possible camping sights....meaning I have a good friend that owns some acerage around Lawrenceburg...but not confirmed for stay yet....can't get any cheaper than that! Open to suggestions though.

BTW, It's looking pretty solid we'll have two other riding partners. they're all about doing this on the cheap!

All agree...pack light....ready for camping or FleaBag hotel if need be.
I'm all for the restaurant thing but will throw in a can of Dinty Moore and pack of Pop Tarts just in case (right next to the toilet paper, hand sanatizer, 1 pair of clean skivvies......hopefully not to be used in that order by necessity!).

We'll follow your lead coming back...the more scenic the better. I've never been on Nat Trace Pkwy. Curvy?

Got the roll chart holder already....Yeah, the handlebar is begginning to look like a airplane instrument panel.

Jim
Old 06-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #33
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Eh?

leeo45,
Any suggestions on GPS? Have the basic Garmin E-trex...bought years ago
for some geocaching with the kids. Have PC cable for it...but my wife, a programmer by training looked at it, hooked it up and began talking:

".....old software....not supported.....obsolete....blah blah blah...." Anyway couldn't understand her. I'm not convinced she was really trying. You know that old saying about the "mechanic's car is always broke down"....

Jim
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #34
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Jim,
I have a Garmin 176 that I find to ideal for both dual-sport and street touring. I have a Touratech mount on the DRZ and it's hardwired to the bike. It's completely waterproof (not water resistant) and I've been all over the place with it. It 'only' holds up to 128Mb data cards, but that's most of the eastern U.S. with all the details and POI data. I have a USB card programmer that makes downloading the maps, routes, and waypoints a snap. I do all of the waypoint programming on the PC/laptop. A 19 inch screen and a full keyboard are much better than the handheld GPS.

It's a B&W high resolution screen, which I actually find easer to read than the color screens (especially in the bright daylight). Some people prefer the color screens, but unless you spend a ton of money they're lower resolution and harder to see in the daylight.

The 176 does not do auto-routing, but that is not something I would use anyway. I don't even use it on the PC.

I've looked at the Garmin, Magellen, and Lowrance and still like the Garmin best for features, durability, and ease of use. The software is pretty good, but for DS rides you'll occasionally find glitches on the forest roads and dirt roads.

I would suggest that you go look at some of the units in person and try to imagine looking at them on the bike and trying to collect information while you're on a dirt road or trail. That's why I have one with a somewhat larger screen. I also have a Garmin GPSIII+ that I've had for years, but it's almost too small to see when you're moving on the dirt.

Almost all of the newer units have more features than you'll use, so I would focus on ease of use and readability. I'll try to get a picture of mine to give you an idea of the mount and size. Also, take a look at the CycoActive web site: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/default.htm They have a lot of good info.
LEE
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #35
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Gps 176

OK, here's a picture on the DRZ.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #36
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Here is the scoop on the Natchez Trace Parkway... It is scenic, not many cars, a few RV's, no trucks. I rode for 30 minutes at a stretch without seeing anyone last time I went down the trace. It has limited access so you really don't have to worry about anyone pulling out in front of you. There are several places to pull off to P and to look at stuff. You can take a look around while riding without worrying too much about hitting stuff. The road is pool table smooth. The drawbacks are the speed limit is 50 mph, and enforced pretty heavily. It is a national park, so speeding tickets are issued by the Feds, and not cheap. There are not alot of curves in the southern section, but when you get up to the north end it has some sweet curves. The only problem is when you hit the curvy section, the speed limit is 40. The curves are fun at 40 but more fun at 60+. You have to keep an eye out for wildlife both on and off the road.

It is definitely better than the slab, and if you have not been on the Trace, it is worth the trip.

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #37
GMM
Adventurer

Zebra,

I was looking at a map last night and noticed David Crockett state park just outside Lawerenceburg on HWY 64. Not sure if the route passes close to here, but it might be a good place to camp.

Greg
Old 06-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #38
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Lee,

Thanks for the input on GPS....will likely use the basic Etrex at the moment, research and maybe ask Santa when it's time. I'm blown away at the different models....looks like I can get as much GPS as I can afford to buy! Agree want something that fits bike, durable, etc.

Greg,
I have waypoints programmed and am going over maps for gas and lodging
points. WHAT IS THE COMFORTABLE RANGE ON THE KTM between gas stops? (You did say taking the KTM, right?)

The maps show the first stop at approx 110+/- miles. It looks like we're within
a few miles of small towns at several points along the way....let me know.

Since we're likely not to be on the TAT until around noon on departure day
I'm not sure how far we will go before stopping.....Maps show Columbia as the lodging stop (MOTELs) around 183 miles. I'm going to locate some campgrounds starting around 150 mile post and up through Columbia. Depending on progress we will have hopefully 2 or 3 options.

Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #39
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,629
You guys seem to be worrying and focusing on gas stops and where to stop for the night. I've ridden it----and I think you'll find plenty of gas available, just don't be stupid and let your tank get very low. Also---don't worry about "recommended" destinations for the day. There's plenty of lodging out there and your progress may or may not be the same as Sam's maps recommend. Heck if it's 2PM and I'm at Sam's recommended destination for the day---I'm not stopping---I'm ridin'.
I was in no hurry on my ride and didn't ride aggressively---but I started riding at the crack of dawn everyday and rode all day long---and covered much more ground than Sam's recommended stops. We never had any mechanicals either which helped our progress.
Just relax and let the ride come as it comes.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #40
GMM
Adventurer

Zebra,

I have a 7+ gallon tank, so I don't think I'm going to have a problem with gas

I have to agree with BigDog on letting the ride come, but I think it is fun to plan out a ride; kinda gives you something to do while you wait until you can actually go. BTW, it has been a few years, but I'm pretty used to doing 120 miles on mainly single track trails in a day (6 hours), so I don't think running TN back roads is going to be much of a problem. I figure we can probably at least go 200++ miles in a day taking it easy, but it really doesn't matter to me; I'm not racing anyone, and I don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. I just want to get out and ride with some other guys on adventure bikes .

Greg
Old 06-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #41
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstodvictory
I did Cookeville (N of Sparta on I40) to the MS line last weekend, then paved backroads back to Cookeville. Most of its paved and the balance is pretty much graded gravel - there's not much that would be sloppy when wet. I went down on this stream crossing by trying to cross the trench area obliquely (red). My friend (standing) was smart and followed the yellow route. Two other stream crossings were bare slate with slime. Just foot-paddle through and the rest of its a pussy cat.

The roll charts were so accurate that's all we really needed. Neither of us had a GPS. There are about 3-4 places where you might have to hunt up & down 1/4 mile to find the turn.

Steve

Hey Steve, Nice job on the picture. Actually I was about to follow your line when I heard the bike hit the rock's. And thanks for being nice enough not to point out that most of the hunting was due to my shooting past the turn off on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:43 AM   #42
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Frankly I'm not worried about gas, where to sleep, roads.....instead....I worry about FOOD! HA! Sorry, didn't mean to sound like we have an itenerary (sp?)
Programming that little yellow bastard of a GPS has driven me absolutely figging nuts.....got a little crazy with the planning! Trying to put those little icon things in there and all.... 325 way points x 17 clicks to enter..... RZ has carpal tunnel syndrome now! I'm suing Garmin!

On the upside.....Mrs. Santa Claus felt bad for me having to "click" that GPS
about 10,000 times and suggested "daddy-o" needs to upgrade the hardware and software! Yeah, and without me asking!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #43
GMM
Adventurer

I got my new back tire yesterday for the KTM (Pirelli MT21). I'm tempted to wait until after the trip to put it on, and try to get one more ride out of the meat that is on there. Decisions, decisions...
Old 06-11-2005, 05:03 AM   #44
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

MT21! Yeah, I want one. I'm running Pirelli AT90 which has been great
for road, gravel and dirt, and even some single track (if not too sloppy). For
the trip I'm spooning on one of those high-dollar Kendas . It came with the bike and is almost new....only has a few hundred miles on it. The last 70-80 miles of the TN trail looks like it could be knarly if wet....judging by map info.

Doesn't matter...I'll end up doing a superman face plant in the mud before it's over!

We are down to three riders....you, me, and James on his 650L.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #45
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zebra
We are down to three riders....you, me, and James on his 650L.
I'm still interested, assuming my broken ribs are healed by then. I've just been out of town and away from the board.

I've got to figure out the logistics, tho. I had about decided to pull the D606's and remount some DeathWings so I could ride the long pavement miles up to TN and then home from wherever we stop near MS. But, your last post has me reconsidering since those tires are horrible in mud. The other alternative is to trailer up to TN, ride back to TN from MS, and then trailer home; plus find a place to park the truck for the weekend. I'm still leaning towards riding the bike whole way.

Are you guys still planning to start the Trail in Sparta? Where does the trail cross I-24? (depending on the timing on Friday, I'm thinking about alternate places to join up)