ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #46
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Leeo45, Hope you can make some or all of the trip!

The trail crosses I24 within a few miles of MANCHESTER TN. Mile post 112 for
the TAT and is our first gas stop. I can't begin to guess when we would ride
through that area....Ok, I'll SWAG it = 2:30pm to 4:30 pm on that Friday?????

I won't have a C phone....but if Greg or James will then we can ring you along
the way (where service is available!).
Old 06-12-2005, 05:43 AM   #47
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Leeo45, ......Was sup wid dem ribs? Is there a face plant story here?

Jim
Old 06-12-2005, 06:25 AM   #48
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 179
My intentions would be to meet you guys wherever you start the TAT, but since I've got 200 miles of pavement I wanted a contingency plan for joining the group.

Yep, I'm afraid the ribs are the result of a crash. I was trying to make up time in an enduro and lost the front end in some sand. I got pitched off the side at speed and impacted on the face of a ditch --> Several broken ribs and a possible hip fracture. The doc said it would be at least 4 to 6 weeks for the ribs to heal enough to do much of anything; but that's too slow for me.
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #49
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Wink

I still hope to join the fun too. I may not be able to hang the whole time, as it depends on how difficult the terrain is and how I can handle my big Strom. But in looking at some of the pictures, I am definately willing to try. If it is not muddy (Big Stroms and Trailwings don't mix well in the mud), I think I can handle it. I may need to lag behind you one lunger riders, but the road home for me will be much smoother
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #50
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
I'm inclined to join if a group as esteemed as this would have me.. Of course I still need to get the calendar situation worked out. Still thinking 15th,16th,17th?

Lee, are you riding the DRZ from Atlanta? I don't think my ass would handle the return trip.

I'll keep checking for the final rendezvous information.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:47 AM   #51
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky

Lee, are you riding the DRZ from Atlanta? I don't think my ass would handle the return trip.
That's my tentative plan right now. That's why I was thinking about putting the TrailWings back on. I'm guessing riding the bike the whole way would be quicker and there would be fewer hassles than trying to find a safe place to park the truck and trailer in Sparta and then riding back there. I've ridden the DRZ over 250 miles in a day several times w/o problems, and most of that has been dirt & gravel. I'm open to suggestions, tho.

Will you be on the 650?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 AM   #52
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
I've done the 250 mi days on the DRZ also, but it's like 450 mi from the end of the ride back to Atlanta and I HAVE to be at work on Monday. I'm still considering it though, just to say I did it. It'll probably come down to which bike is still in one piece by mid July. I agree on the truck/trailer issue being a PITA. We shall see.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #53
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Ok...we're still on for july 15,16,17.
Departure place: McDonalds on SR 111 in Sparta. (approx 1/4 mile north
of US 70 on W side of rd.
Depart time: 11:30am.
-
-
-
Beefjerky...you call this nest of whores and vipers esteemed?....Please join us.
Lencho.....Hell, bring the Strom...you'll probably ride circles around me anyway.
Leeo45....mi casa, su casa if you want to come in the night before. Hope the ribs are ready.

Jim
Old 06-18-2005, 05:09 AM   #54
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I'm still in, been away on a business trip/ride to North Carolina. Big fun, quite an adventure. My Beemer even broke down in the middle of nowhere when I pumped 4 gallons of "Premium" Unleaded that turned out to be water from a country gas station. Rode 1000 + miles last week, but all the miles were Monday and yesterday.

Zebra, I will PM you closer to the date of the ride, and meet up with ya in Smithville somewhere.

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 AM   #55
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Wanted to bump the post since we are 3 weeks away from July 15, 16 & 17, and to ensure this is still on!
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #56
DonHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'd really like to go with you guys, but that time is not available for me. I am going to ride as much of TN as I can THIS long weekend. No work on the 4th! I have the maps coming, the GPS fired up and new shoes to go on the KLR.

I hope there are SOME challenging stuff in TN.

Of coarse I would be willing to team up with someone if they happen to be going this weekend.

14 1200GSAW, 12F800gs, 11Griso, 10XR1200, 08S2R1000, 90BMW K1, 77Boneville, 76R75/6
DonHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #57
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,887
Thanks to Leeo45 I have the itch for this ride now. Can you guys stand another rider? I will be on the weestrom, just got it a week ago and it has yet to see any dirt so I will be cautious but if I am too slow for you guys, I can catch up with you as long as the GPS is working. Another rider mentioned that he will be on the Vstrom so maybe I can tag along with him. Right now this ride is on a "maybe" notice so don't count me in as of yet but I sure would like to partake in this if all works out. Maybe all of us from georgia can meet up and ride up together.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:10 PM   #58
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Seriously thinking about this. Sounds like a blast.
Are you guys still thinking about camping?

leeo45
Instead of riding the drz all the way from Atlanta you could park your truck at my place in Chattanooga and head out from there.
Only 77 miles to Sparta.
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #59
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

bman, Thanks for the offer. I'll probably see if anyone else from the area is headed up. Trailering part way may be a good option if the weather is bad and we expect mud.

Right now I'm looking at leaving early before traffic on Friday morning, probably interstate to Chattanooga and backroads to Sparta. Depending on how far we get on Saturday, I may head back earlier than the TN contingent on Sunday.

I think the consensus seems to be camping. That's OK with me. I'm flexible, but I don't really want to carry enough gear to cook in camp. I almost overload the DRZ by just sitting on it.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:05 AM   #60
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Take lots of pics for a detailed trip report.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote