ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #61
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Thumbs down

We're still on.....

Ok...we're still on for july 15,16,17.
Departure place: McDonalds on SR 111 in Sparta. (approx 1/4 mile north
of US 70 on W side of rd.
Depart time: 11:30am.
camping along the way

If it stays as dry as it has been lately we'll never see any mud! Not around here anyway!
-
Old 06-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #62
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 180
Sounds good. Here's a link to all of the TN State Parks with camping facilities in case there's interest in stopping somewhere semi-civilized. A lake for a late afternoon swim might be nice if the temps are in the 90's. http://www.state.tn.us/environment/p...tivity=Camping

Red Zebra, If you've had a chance to go over the maps, can you give us a list of a few towns or road intersections we'll be near along the route. And specifically, where do we cross into Mississippi? I'm still trying to decide on a route back home. Thanks.
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #63
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Leeo,

So I guess by your post that your riding and not trailering for this ride. Give me a heads up as to your schedule/route. I'm figuring my usual itinerary of boogeying out of Atl the night before. It'd be nice to take thursday off too, but the wallet gods haven't really been on my side lately.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #64
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,580
I just might be able to hook up with y'all for this one. I'm in Nashville if anyone wants to park a truck here for the weekend.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #65
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Leeo,

So I guess by your post that your riding and not trailering for this ride. Give me a heads up as to your schedule/route. I'm figuring my usual itinerary of boogeying out of Atl the night before. It'd be nice to take thursday off too, but the wallet gods haven't really been on my side lately.
If I'm on my own I'll probably ride, but I haven't set any plans in stone. Well..... I haven't really made any plans at all except that I am going on the trip. I thought I would look at the maps this weekend and check some mileages. Right now my only reference point on the return trip is I know the TAT runs thru Batesville, MS.

I'm pretty flexible on the schedule/riding/trailering plans if others from the area are going and are interested in traveling together.

Lee
Old 07-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #66
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Eh?

Leeo,

We will cross I-24 about 5 miles NW of Manchester.
Will cross I65 5 miles E of Columbia.
Hit the state line 20miles SSW of Selmer.

The maps don't give me enough detail to make out secondary roads although State Roads appear clear enough.
Other than that we will be close to McMinnville, Woodbury, Manchester, Bellbuckle, Columbia, Lawrenceburg, Waynesboro, Savanah...
Check mapquest...let me know your plans and I'll try to better pinpoint some
cross streets.

I have done ZERO planning for camping locations. We will run close to Henry
Horton SP, Crockett SP, and Big Hill SP:
Big Hill is near our terminus SW of Selmer....may be our Saturday night stay?
OK...I'll sheepishly admit I'm a KOA cardholder from my days of RVing with
family---I'll print and stuff into my tankbag a few locations with the SPs along the route just in case. Hell, I've stealth camped before....but that was just me in my 4wd days. A half-dozen bikes or more may get us noticed pulling off into an old field...and what with these cash crops around here could get you hurt if you pick the wrong field.

Don't really care....just looking forward to the ride with all.

Anybody else riding have the TN TAT maps/waypoints?
What about digital camera???? Mine will be on vacation with wife/kids.
Somebody must bring one!!!

Jim
Old 07-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #67
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,344
You'll cross into MS about 12 miles west of Corinth, MS. There are motels and stuff on the west side of town by the intersection of 72 and 45. Next stop is Walnut, MS. Motel(s) is/are available there, too, But Walnut is a tad, uh, small. Before that, Selmer, TN is the motel area.

Big Hill St. Pk. is near a large swampy area, so bring repellent.

Wish I was gonna be here to ride with you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeo45
And specifically, where do we cross into Mississippi? I'm still trying to decide on a route back home. Thanks.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #68
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Red Z & gaspipe,

That's plenty of information to help me with planning. Thanks. I'll look at the options in the next day or two.

I was thinking the same thing about camping. With this many people we may be better off in an organized area. Probably better choices for food nearby, too.

I've traded e-mails with Sam about getting a set of charts. I should have a them for the trip and will hopefully have the route in the GPS.

I'll definitely have a camera in the tank bag, and about 2 Gb of memory cards. Just don't run off and leave me if you want to be in the pictures.

Lee

leeo45 screwed with this post 07-02-2005 at 08:15 PM
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #69
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,894
I'm in!

Woohoo, the wife has given me the go ahead. It's kinda like when I use to get grounded when I was a wee lad. The trick to it was to mope around the house and bug the shit out of your parents by staying up under them the whole time until they finally got tired of you and sent you on your way. By looking at everyones post it looks like camping is the lodging choice. I guess all I need to know is what about food? Plan on loading up on food or will we be stopping? I hope that crashbar/engine guard comes in beforehand, I know how the trailwings were on the DRZ and with the weestrom being a little heavier, I hope to have some type of bike protection. By the way, beefjerky/leeo45, you guys riding out thursday night or what? Thursday night or friday morning works for me. Oh and me going is 99% definete unless something happens from now to then.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #70
Bonezjones
Hairball

Oddometer: 157
Hey guys-

Got room for one more? I am planning to ride the Trail out to Colorado for the KTM Adventure Rally in CO. I have already ridden the entire Trail a couple years ago but now want to include the new trails in TN and KY. I need to leave ATL Thursday for the trailhead in order to make it to CO in time. What exactly is your plan?

Chris Jones

www.rtw101.com
Bonezjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #71
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonezjones
Hey guys-

Got room for one more? I am planning to ride the Trail out to Colorado for the KTM Adventure Rally in CO. I have already ridden the entire Trail a couple years ago but now want to include the new trails in TN and KY. I need to leave ATL Thursday for the trailhead in order to make it to CO in time. What exactly is your plan?

Chris Jones

www.rtw101.com
Hey Bonez, beefjerky may correct me on this one but I think his tentative plan was to head out from atlanta thursday night and I was going to meet up with him and tag along so I would think that if that is what you want to do then it should be no problemo.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #72
Dirtysouth

Everyone fall off the side of the planet or what? No one has posted on this ride in a few days, you guys aren't getting worried about all that rain the storms will be bringing are you?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #73
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,586
Still here, I'll be testing the Jellico to Sparta charts next weekend and if they are good, that section will be released. We have 1/2 of KY done.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:23 PM   #74
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Still here, still ready to go. Not scared of rain. Just waiting until next Friday .

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #75
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM
Still here, still ready to go. Not scared of rain. Just waiting until next Friday .

Greg
I'm not scared of rain either, but the trailwings on the weestrom are scared of the stuff it makes when it is combined with dirt. I am still good aslong as someone will help me pick the bike up.