ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #76
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_south400s
I'm not scared of rain either, but the trailwings on the weestrom are scared of the stuff it makes when it is combined with dirt. I am still good as long as someone will help me pick the bike up.
I've got a tow strap. We'll get you to Mississippi one way or another.

I may not bother switching to the DeathWings if it rains every day next week, tho.
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #77
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Still here, I'll be testing the Jellico to Sparta charts next weekend and if they are good, that section will be released. We have 1/2 of KY done.
So.... are you tellling me that I bought my charts, and we planned this trip two weeks too early ? ?

Sam should have let us help with the Beta version testing.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:22 AM   #78
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Laugh

Sorry for not posting....technical difficulties and all. (Ask my software engineering wife why the computer dumped!)

I'm riding hell or high water---or rain. Looks like more folks hooking up--good!

Anybody else?
July 15--Departure place: McDonalds on SR 111 in Sparta. (approx 1/4 mile north of US 70 on W side of rd.
Depart time: 11:30am.

Greg, I'll send a PM with directions to my house...Let's leave Smithville by 10am?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #79
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Man, I wish I could go on this ride. But, since this is the busy season for cycle sales, I get no saturdays or fridays off until late august.

Plus, I have to buy a new bike too.
But, I hope you guys have fun and post a bunch of pix. Since the TN part is in my neck of the woods, I'll probably take the brand spankin' new weestrom out on it to do the first dirty run later this summer.

Bonchance guys.
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #80
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Food Question?

Ok guys, getting ready to hunt my gear up for the trip, wanted to know what the consensus is on food. Are we packing food or will we be stopping for grub along the way?
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #81
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Ok guys, getting ready to hunt my gear up for the trip, wanted to know what the consensus is on food. Are we packing food or will we be stopping for grub along the way?
My choice is eat out most of the time, but I'll go with the majority. Even if we're eating in camp, I'll probably just try to pick up some food at a gas stop during the afternoon so I don't have to carry three days of supplies.

** Note to self: Crank up the preload on the rear shock.

BTW -- Here's the latest storm track on Dennis. We may have some good photo ops at the creek crossings. http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USN...=none&pid=none
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #82
Dirtysouth

Leeo45 what is your plan as far as heading out? Thursday night or friday morning?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #83
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Zebra,

PM...got it.

As for food, I plan on packing a little, and eating out too. I'm traveling light by my standards, cause I don't have much room (Just one big duffel bag, and my pockets). This is supposed to be an Adventure ride, right? For me the camping may be more of an adventure than the ride.

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #84
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
I was thinking about joining this ride, but b/c of Dennis, I missed work today and thus must make it up on Saturday.

Oh well, shit happens. What happenned to you this weekend Dirty?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #85
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Yee haw!! Nothing like worn Trailwings on a V-Strom right after a weeks worth of rain! I should be everyone's entertainment Only hope I have is that this area has been so dry lately, that all this rain just might get sucked up cleanly.

Greg - mind if I tag a long with you to meet Red Zebra in Smithville? We can meet up where ever you would like on Friday morning. If you recall, I'm in Franklin, so I have to go your way anyway. PM me and let me know.

Larry
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #86
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
Yee haw!! Nothing like worn Trailwings on a V-Strom right after a weeks worth of rain! I should be everyone's entertainment Only hope I have is that this area has been so dry lately, that all this rain just might get sucked up cleanly.

Larry
I've ridden a fair amount of the trail in MS, some of that on a worn out rear tire. Be very careful on the water crossings. If it's muddy, you might have a problem or two on a few hills.

FWIW, I'd get a new rear, but only because of the recent rain. I think you'll have a lot more fun if you can go a little faster and you'd be safer at the same time.

Perhaps I'll run into you guys this weekend. My family is out of town and I'm looking for something unproductive to do.

see ya

DC

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #87
Dirtysouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho

Greg - mind if I tag a long with you to meet Red Zebra in Smithville? We can meet up where ever you would like on Friday morning. If you recall, I'm in Franklin, so I have to go your way anyway. PM me and let me know.

Larry
Larry, you won't be upset if I take some of the spotlight from you will you? I don't know how well the weestrom will do with the trailwings, I know they sucked on the DRZ and expect no different. Oh hell, it's no adventure if you have to buy a whole lot of shit just to go riding.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #88
Red Zebra OP
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Same here on food...will pack a little for snackage but plan on a grease-burger with cheese as we run across them.

Lencho/GMM, see you guys Friday morning. Let me know if you want a quick
cup of coffee before we head to Sparta--I'll have it ready. My stove operator is out of town but I brew a pretty mean cup.

Jim
Old 07-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #89
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
[QUOTE=Lencho][QUOTE= My stove operator is out of town but I brew a pretty mean cup.
Jim[/QUOTE]
Ahh. The true reason why you were able to coordinate this ride is revealed! I personally had to pay a marriage tax to get permission
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #90
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Departure plans ?

Quote:
Leeo45 what is your plan as far as heading out? Thursday night or friday morning?
Unfortunately, I have a meeting at work on Thursday that will go late into the afternoon, so sometime Thursday evening would be the earliest I could possibly leave. If the weather is good that night I might head out anyway and grab an inexpensive motel room or campsite close to Sparta. Otherwise, it will probably be real early Friday.

Have you and BeefJerky decided on a plan? (I guess you're already half way to TN compared to me anyway.)