User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
kmroxo OP
Reno Rider

Oddometer: 342
Is my shock leaking?

I put my Ohlins on somewhere around 30,000-35,000 miles ago. I have heard people talk of them leaking and needing to be rebuilt. I finally got around to giving the beast a bath after this year's big ride and this stuff was all gunked up under my front shock, on the coil, adjustment knob, and connection point.

So is this what it looks like when it starts to leak? And how to I get this gunk off? It is super sticky and would't budge much with my normal soap and water wash. I hear people talk about break cleaner for bugs and grease.

Thanks for the help.

kmroxo screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 05:45 AM Reason: new picture uploaded
kmroxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 842
It does look like the shock leaks, but the pic is a little too blurry. You do have a nice bicycle, though.

Take another one and back the camera up a tad (or zoom out) to include the base of the main tube and possibly the alternator belt cover. Changing you camera setting to center focusing might help.

I'm sure we can then help you.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
kmroxo OP
Reno Rider

I uploaded a new picture and put it in the original post.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 842
It definitely looks like it weeps a little. Shocks do that somewhat. It looks to me like the dirt was accumulated over a long period. I doubt the shock just 'blew'.

Clean the area, then monitor the shock more routinely before deciding whether it's spewing. Look at the top of the rubber bump stop and also where the shaft emanates from the body for signs of oil and dirt.

Cheers

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
leaking shock

About 5 months ago that is what my front Ohlin looked like, it only got worse and made a real mess. Leaks don't seem to cure themselves.
There are several good Ohlin Shock rebuilders, I used David @ Fast Bike Industries, good service, fair and fast. When I sent him the shock he asked me a few questions and determined the shock was set up for a 240 rider and I only weigh 170. He put a lighter spring on and improved my ride.
His #828-435-0125 Cell: 828-243-7240
I am in no was associated with David, just a happy customer.
Good luck,
Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
kmroxo OP
Reno Rider

I have some engine cleaner and degreaser coming in so I'll clean it real good and keep and eye on it. Mine were set up by Kyle Racing in Monterey as part of a group buy deal he had going on here on ADVrider (maybe it still is?). But now I'm on the east coast so it might be quicker to do it on the east coast. I think Ohlins is in NC and does rebuilds also.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
Get it rebuilt sooner then later or you run the risk of damaging the shock.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
another option

When it runs out of oil it will quit leaking. Shocks are easy to pull and cheap to rebuild, just do it.
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
kmroxo OP
Reno Rider

That's the plan. I'll be pulling them this coming week and sending them out.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 554
I was told by an Ohlins dealer nearby that on the BMW bikes the shocks are as follows:

They are generally undersprung. The fear of giving you a stiff ride keeps them underspringing the shocks. In addition to that the stroke of a BMW shock is far shorter than most other manufacturers. Because of that they run 3 to 4 times the gas pressure of other shocks. If it is indeed undersprung and the shock is running the full stroke and/or bottoming out, the seals blow prematurely. I can attest that my shocks get only 8,000 miles before being rebuilt prior to having them sprung for the correct weight and having the pressure reduced a bit. My wifes F-650 has an extremely short stroke and this was an issue prior to this adjustment. Ohlins USA kept underspringing our shocks until I called Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing. He used some real world calculations to solve our problems.

My 2 cents and experience....

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmroxo View Post
I put my Ohlins on somewhere around 30,000-35,000 miles ago.
You're way past a rebuild date. This link may be of some help http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=rebuild+ohlin