Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #1486
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Ok, so I've been given the green light to share.

As I said before, Ducati has been following along. And when the trip ended, they called. Apparently Gabriele Del Torchio, (Ducati CEO), asked the PR Manager for North America (Tim Collins), to get in touch with me, which he did via Aaron Klink, the Sales Manager of Newport Beach Ducati.

Tim said that Ducati Italy was “amazed” by the trip--and to show their appreciation, they're flying me out to the Circuit of the Americas next month for the launch of the 1199R. I'll get to meet Mr. Del Torchio himself, along with the head engineer behind the Panigale. Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden will be there, too—along with more 1199Rs than you can shake a conrod at.

Very excited. Ducati rocks.
holy shit that's amazing. Lots of pictures, kthx. :)
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #1487
trust7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
AntiHero,

Concerning the Game Con types as opposed to the Harley wannabees:

The Game Con types appear to have a sense of humor about it: They know they're wearing silly costumes and that they aren't really wizards. It's not a 'Lifestyle' to them.

Myself? I'd be too embarrassed to be seen with either group.

The convention is called GENCON.

It is the largest gaming convention of all kinds of gaming in the entire world to my knowledge.

I Speaking as a 25 year motorcycle riding enthusiast dirt, track and street and a gamer and business owner

relating to gaming.

The costumed people you are referring to are Cosplayers and they certainly are well aware they are wearing costumes most of them are related to anime and Japanese culture cartoons etc but make no mistake about the seriousness, they are dead serious about it. However they do not represent the larger part of the gaming community there its just a small part.

I really like the ride report im about 30 pages in so far but had to stop here because you give sport bike riders a bad name with the bias and stereotyping, you do understand that there is as many if not more wannabee's in sport bike riding as anything else right. You seem like a semi-intelligent dude able to show others kindness and receive it as well, and maybe I did not understand you here, but this sure seemed crappy to me.

I am 6"1" 235 pounds and solid muscle if you saw me walking through Gencon you would never EVER suspect I was there for that, for that matter if you saw me on my Panigale you would wonder how that works, so I am just wondering didnt anyone ever tell you not to judge a book by its cover ?

How do you know all those people are Harley "wannabees", or to put it in perspective for you someone always knows more than you, has more than you, is more tortured than you, can do it better and longer than you and you NEVER know who those people are without taking time to find out.

Maybe I am a little sensitive to this particular thing because I am a gamer, a rider, a husband, a family man, a veteran, a wrestler, a football player an mma fighter and much much more and I dont care for being stereotyped on first inspection...........

I welcome your response.
trust7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #1488
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,313
Pretty ballsy first post on one of the highest regarded and most quoted (see my sig) ride reports on Advrider.

If yer panties are wadded up already, this may not be the place for you.
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #1489
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Pretty ballsy first post on one of the highest regarded and most quoted (see my sig) ride reports on Advrider.

Agreed!
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #1490
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post

I don't agree. I think this may be the PERFECT place for him. Dennis is a big boy, and if he wants to defend his off color stereotyping of fanboys and con-goers--he can handle himself. He doesn't need us flaming someone who calls him out on his behalf. I thought Dennis was a little off base on those posts as well, but I wasn't ballsy enough to call him out like trust7 did.

Welcome, trust7. I'm betting you and Dennis would laugh about it over a couple of beers, and then wind up in the parking lot beating the crap out of each other before breaking down laughing again! Keep reading, and keep commenting.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #1491
Sgt93
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:

As I said before, Ducati has been following along. And when the trip ended, they called. Apparently Gabriele Del Torchio, (Ducati CEO), asked the PR Manager for North America (Tim Collins), to get in touch with me, which he did via Aaron Klink, the Sales Manager of Newport Beach Ducati.

Tim said that Ducati Italy was “amazed” by the trip--and to show their appreciation, they're flying me out to the Circuit of the Americas next month for the launch of the 1199R. I'll get to meet Mr. Del Torchio himself, along with the head engineer behind the Panigale. Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden will be there, too—along with more 1199Rs than you can shake a conrod at.

That's awesome and you deserve it. All the free advertising Ducati has been getting has made them a few dollars I am sure. Your 'Coast to Coast' has been the best advertising campaign they have had! Please take more pics of your trip and have fun. -Steve
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #1492
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
All I can say is that I'm glad to 'know' you and we've never met.

For myself and probably many others, thank-you once again for providing a partial reflection of each of us in the mirror.

I live by your words below, but never heard it stated so profoundly. Thank-you for that as well. Cheers to actually living life !
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #1493
nihadpek
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
That is an awesome picture! I nominated it as a front page photo candidate.
with yur permision I will share this pisc. at facebook...
nihadpek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #1494
motopat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
I don't agree. I think this may be the PERFECT place for him. Dennis is a big boy, and if he wants to defend his off color stereotyping of fanboys and con-goers--he can handle himself. He doesn't need us flaming someone who calls him out on his behalf. I thought Dennis was a little off base on those posts as well, but I wasn't ballsy enough to call him out like trust7 did.

Welcome, trust7. I'm betting you and Dennis would laugh about it over a couple of beers, and then wind up in the parking lot beating the crap out of each other before breaking down laughing again! Keep reading, and keep commenting.
+1
motopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #1495
DucHym09
n00b

Oddometer: 8
That's pretty awesome-Ducati does rock.
I'm thinking or riding my Hyper the 500 miles over there in April to see the races and using airbnb for accomodations.

Quote:

DucHym09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1496
VMSfan
n00b

Oddometer: 9
AntiHero - sweet deal for the upcoming trip to TX...congrats!

FedEx just dropped off your book...nice work! Thanks!
VMSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #1497
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust7 View Post
The convention is called GENCON.
It is the largest gaming convention of all kinds of gaming in the entire world to my knowledge.
I Speaking as a 25 year motorcycle riding enthusiast dirt, track and street and a gamer and business owner
relating to gaming.
The costumed people you are referring to are Cosplayers and they certainly are well aware they are wearing costumes most of them are related to anime and Japanese culture cartoons etc but make no mistake about the seriousness, they are dead serious about it. However they do not represent the larger part of the gaming community there its just a small part.
I really like the ride report im about 30 pages in so far but had to stop here because you give sport bike riders a bad name with the bias and stereotyping, you do understand that there is as many if not more wannabee's in sport bike riding as anything else right. You seem like a semi-intelligent dude able to show others kindness and receive it as well, and maybe I did not understand you here, but this sure seemed crappy to me.
I am 6"1" 235 pounds and solid muscle if you saw me walking through Gencon you would never EVER suspect I was there for that, for that matter if you saw me on my Panigale you would wonder how that works, so I am just wondering didnt anyone ever tell you not to judge a book by its cover ?
How do you know all those people are Harley "wannabees", or to put it in perspective for you someone always knows more than you, has more than you, is more tortured than you, can do it better and longer than you and you NEVER know who those people are without taking time to find out.
Maybe I am a little sensitive to this particular thing because I am a gamer, a rider, a husband, a family man, a veteran, a wrestler, a football player an mma fighter and much much more and I dont care for being stereotyped on first inspection...........
I welcome your response.
Just saw this. I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to reply with this kind of a response. Discussing something as sensitive as identity typically narrows perspective and misinterpretation is often the result. I would ask you to reread what I wrote with an open mind. I played a devil's advocate in the beginning, then demonstrates how we ALL participate in a world of make believe. I also provided a formula for analyzing the difference between authenticity and spuriousness. (There are wannabees in EVERY sport or interest group, I concluded with a method of separating the two. My criticism (and it is criticism) was directed at the people who are guilty of inauthentic, self-deceptive behavior, which is very different than someone who alloys their life with imagination in a way that isn't contradictory to their life.) Please, reread what I originally wrote with the above in mind and I think you'll see that we share the same opinion.

I'm tied up right now, but will draft a more thorough response that vindicates what I've said and clarifies my position a little more thoroughly. It's a fascinating topic for me and I've wanted to tie more solidly to Compatibilism, so perhaps this will be my chance. :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #1498
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Compatibilism - We ride, therefore we all compatible.

I love this RR!
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #1499
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Compatibilism is going to have to wait for now! Too much of a different tangent, but I'll get to it.

I reread my original post (and saw a typo I’ll correct). I was a little afraid that perhaps I misrepresented what I intended to say, but I think I’m still dead on. To summarize the conclusion of my original post: GENCON-ers dressing up like who they want to be is no different than the dentist or doctor who removes his white lab coat and puts on a leather vest and jumps on his Fat Boy, no different than the guy who puts on a Rossi helmet and gets on an R1, no different than the guy who slicks back his hair and buys a Transformers Camaro. Everyone—and that includes me—presents themselves to the outside world in a way that they see/ want to see themselves or want the world to see them. We ‘project’ our internal image of ourselves to communicate our identity to the rest of the world. And we participate in something larger than ourselves when we do so.

I don’t take issue with Harley guys, and I have no idea how you got that I have anything against sportbike riders (I am a sportbike rider). And I don’t have issues with GENCON peep (I’ve had bruises on my butt from sitting on 20 sided dice more than once). The criticism I have—and the criticism everyone in society has—is when the external image projected does not match who the person really is.

It’s like this:
• When a guy who looks like a bad ass Harley rider is a bad ass motherfucker = Much respect and fear
• When a guy who looks like a bad ass Harley rider cries when he gets a parking ticket = FAIL!
• When a guy on a GSXR-1000, dressed like Nicky Hayden, spins his rear tire out of a corner at full lean while his knee and elbow are planted on the ground = Bow down!
• When a guy on a GSXR-1000, dressed like Nicky Hayden, tries to do a stoppie but crashes because he used the rear brake instead of the front: IDIOT!
• When a GENCON guy dressed like a Ninja can run up the side of a two story building while slicing grapes using shuriken = Real Ultimate Power!
• When a GENCON guy dressed like a Ninja, but is 200lbs overweight and takes the escalator while choking down two slices of pepperoni pizza = Fail.

The distinction I’m making is that whatever outward appearance someone projects should be backed up with corresponding abilities. How can we figure out if a motorcyclist is a ‘squid’ or a wannabe just by looking at them? We can’t. And honestly, I don’t spend too much time trying to figure it out. A guy looks like a bad-ass, I’m going to assume he is. A guy looks like an AMA superstar? Same. It takes a great deal of insecurity to go out into the world constantly challenging and undermining people. My concern is with myself and authenticity, making sure that I can back up my words and back up whatever the hell it is I’m projecting to the world. And the only way to do that is through action.

My original post was meant to encourage people to become who they want to be, to identify what was most important and develop it; and to be aware that often it’s not just others we fool when we’re wearing our costumes: sometimes we fool ourselves. That’s where the greatest danger lies: at that moment, the moment we confuse our appearance for our abilities and believe we already are who we want to be, development stops.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #1500
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,847
For all of your great ride, it seems wrong for you to not ride that Pani to COTA.