Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #1516
trust7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
[QUOTE=AntiHero;20761765]Good point. I suppose we have 1,2,3,4 types?

1. Authentic - person's estimation of their own abilities matches ‘reality’
2. Inauthentic - person is unaware that their abilities are less than they estimate
3. Imposter - person is aware that they are not who they're trying to pass themselves off as
4. Underestimator - person who underestimates their own abilities and is far more competent than they often seem (or believe themselves to be)

Think of authenticity as a system where feedback is constantly analyzed, then classified, then internalized. Inauthenticity would be when new data is ignored and a person believes what they want to believe instead of what they perceive (a method often used is not avoiding situations where their ‘skills’ are tested).

The blatant imposter knows they are deceiving others, and most likely values the ability to deceive more than whatever it is they’re pretending they are.

The underestimator….well, I’ll talk about that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
My humble quibble is that you're coming at this from your point of strength. Your strength is (I believe from following you across the country with your words and pictures) in your confidence in your own ability.
I'll have to politely disagree with you here. I'm anything but confident in my abilities. (Type 4, as described above.) I've tried to overcome my own lack of self-confidence, but I'm unable to internalize accomplishments. My confidence level will always be a flatline because nothing I do registers as having internal value. I struggled with that for years. Positive things I do never make any sort of positive impact on what I felt about myself. So I cultivated fearlessness. It's the 'fuck it' approach...I just stop thinking about things and start doing it. I've circumvented the part of the decision making process that requires confidence.

People everywhere are trapped in the reality of needs and wants. We need shelter, we need food, we need a job... and we want comforts. But that cage we live in keeps us tethered to reality and keeps us from truly experiencing our dreams. So we escape. We fantasize. We pretend. And we hold on to our tether.

I believe the distinction is in how far we go out on the ledge. We as 'manly men' crave adventure. The open road, the warrior who saves the damsel, the ninja who is invincible and deadly, chrome and bandannas. Adventures. Fantasies.
QUOTE]

Very well put.

This is a great way to put it I think you are missing about 2 or 3 more sub-types but the critical error I spoke of a moment ago is judging WHO is HOW FAR out on the ledge by our own standards.

See the real bottom-line here is how does anyone BUT that guy know how far out on the ledge he is from where in his ninja suit ? Emotional spiritual confidence level ledges are impossible to judge. Now how far from Nicky Hayden is that squid ? That is quite easy to judge and for safety sake I always judge it, but how far from Nicky Hayden is the dude wearing the Nicky Hayden leathers that isnt riding like an asshat ? Impossible to say if he even wants to BE out as far as Nicky Hayden or even IF Nicky Hayden is the ledge measurement hes using, see what I mean.......?
trust7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1517
trust7
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
Is this the online equivalent of dick measuring?

Lets not clutter up an awesome ride report.

Krang sorry to reply to you but if you read any of this Ride Report you would very much understand that AntiHero enjoys discussing these things, he speaks flatly and outright about psychology perception feelings feedback understanding and much more throughout his journey and I don't think he feels this is "crapping" on his thread. Anti if you do say the word and censored I will become :P lol
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #1518
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Yeah, I'm done with the topic.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #1519
trust7
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Yeah, I'm done with the topic.

Fair enough, hoped for a little more conversing on it but cool either way, back to page 30 I go :)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #1520
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 488
It is unfortunate that so much of this (otherwise excellent) RR focuses on judgements about other people. All too often people who dwell on the weaknesses of others are, in fact, quite weak.

CharlestonADV screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 09:07 AM
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #1521
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Double post.

CharlestonADV screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:42 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1522
scott123007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
It is unfortunate that so much of this (otherwise excellent) RR focuses on judgements about other people. All too often people who dwell on the weaknesses of others are, in fact, quite weak.
Wonderful. Now YOU are being judgemental.
scott123007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #1523
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 397
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #1524
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far either. I think AntiHero has given us all a lot to think about in every aspect of his report and I think a lot of what reads as judgement is introspection. How far can we push ourselves to be what we want to be?
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #1525
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZvan View Post
I wouldn't go that far either. I think AntiHero has given us all a lot to think about in every aspect of his report and I think a lot of what reads as judgement is introspection. How far can we push ourselves to be what we want to be?

Exactly exactly exactly.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #1526
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZvan View Post
IMO, the rather marked criticism of other people in the RR significantly undermines that intention.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #1527
THogland
Back in Alaska!

Oddometer: 52
Judgements

Quote:
IMO, the rather marked criticism of other people in the RR significantly undermines that intention.
Well, it *is* his ride report

And it's interesting to read them. The judgements you make about others are based on their attitudes and actions when you interact with them. To them, it's "here's a nobody on a bike" - how they interact with him says a lot about who he ran into. He met a lot of very good people, who didn't know who he was or that he was writing it all down, and still were warm and kind and helpful. He also ran into some weirdos and freaks, and some plain unpleasant asshats. (That's life, unfortunately.) It's all part of making a long trip, all around the country.

If I make that ride, I'll run into different people, and my judgement will probably be different. Or it might be the same. But, at least I'll have an idea of some cool places to go, and where people were friendly to some unknown nobody on a Ducati - who knows they might be friendly to some unknown nobody on a Yamaha, too

(Of course, my Yamahammer cruiser doesn't have the panty-soaking sex appeal of the Duc, so probably not as friendly. Still, I can hope... )

Tom
~ still a couple feet deep in winter...
THogland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #1528
daveknievel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Holy long post batman. Can't we all just get along?
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1529
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I only throw stones when people are (or I am) trapped inside glass houses.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #1530
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 32
Humm, the term "beatin' a dead horse" comes to mind. There is always someone who wants to overthink things and bore the rest of us to tears, that said, it's a free country for the time being.

I have caught up on the RR as well, as I have been distracted far from my desk top and refreshed enough to appreciate two good points made, that being , YOU DOG, you are getting to go to see the new press release of the Penigale and meet cool people to wit, I can think of no more fun way for Ducati to acklowlege your contribution to showing the not so ordinary capabilites of the Penigale.

Bravo...........safe travels