Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1846
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Yes, Mike, that is essentially what I meant. I've enjoyed this ride report and said so pretty clearly in my comment. But anyone can do it and everyone has to make their own way.

Dennis made his adventure happen without giving up his day job or straying more than 100 miles from a gas station. More power to him. DR Rok & LDF (The Mobius Trip) have lived theirs on successive weekends and holidays -- and without chucking their relationship. I admire their project immensely. This site is full of hundreds of stories like these and all of them inspire adventure.

For those who have just joined ADVrider in the past few weeks but nevertheless feel entitled to suggest I find another sandbox, all I can say is unbunch your panties and get out on your bikes.
Your intent was clear. Seniority on a forum is not impressive. Your backhanded at best compliments were obvious. If you think you're Ted Simon go for it or go windex your glass house. Should we all quit our jobs, abandon our families and die of thirst in the Sahara. That is idiotic as was your initial post. I ride almost daily but have the common decency to not be a dick to people for no reason. This has been a great RR and I hope it continues. AH...I agree that it's best to avoid the potato salad but there's nothing wrong w telling the guy who stuck his dick in it that he's a douche

manban9888 screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 12:57 PM
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #1847
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
Your intent was clear. Seniority on a forum is not impressive. Your backhanded at best compliments were obvious. If you think you're Ted Simon go for it or go windex your glass house. Should we all quit our jobs, abandon our families and die of thirst in the Sahara. That is idiotic as was your initial post. I ride almost daily but have the common decency to not be a dick to people for no reason. This has been a great RR and I hope it continues. AH...I agree that it's best to avoid the potato salad but there's nothing wrong w telling the guy who stuck his dick in it that he's a douche
Manban, I literally laughed out loud (loudly) when I read this.

And not sure who originally said that about the potato salad. I had a friend who told me a story back in the 90s about a guy with a heavy 'jive' accent who yelled, '"somebody stuck his dick in the potato salad!" at a party. For some reason I forgot about it until I wracked my brain for a good analogy.

I thought it was just some crazy shit, but just googled it. Apparently the line came from the comedian Mantan Moreland on his album That Ain't My Finger. The exact quote: "Shit, if this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes." Was sampled by the Beastie Boys in 2007.

Learn somethin' new every day!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #1848
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Manban, I literally laughed out loud (loudly) when I read this.

And not sure who originally said that about the potato salad. I had a friend who told me a story back in the 90s about a guy with a heavy 'jive' accent who yelled, '"somebody stuck his dick in the potato salad!" at a party. For some reason I forgot about it until I wracked my brain for a good analogy.

I thought it was just some crazy shit, but just googled it. Apparently the line came from the comedian Mantan Moreland on his album That Ain't My Finger. The exact quote: "Shit, if this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes." Was sampled by the Beastie Boys in '94.

Learn somethin' new every day!

Hope you don't mind if I just put this right here....
iyaoyas98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #1849
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
And this untarnished fantasy of man and machine untethered and free on the open road was going so well!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1850
Ron_G
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
...If the unfortunate "my wife ran off with her massage therapist" situation happens, you have a really fucking great dream waiting to be realized. ;)
That's true and should that happen I too will do it on a brand frickin' new bike (though I'm partial to Aprilia)

RG
Ron_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #1851
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Thanks for another great installment. I've been away for a while and missed the story.
Cool for me, something to fill more hotel evenings.

For me near every ride report I've ever read has nudged me out to the garage, and onto the bike and off and away.
From my very first in print form back in the first days of Rider magazine. There were BMW's Ducatis Harleys, Hondas and even Moto Guzzis.

In 2003 a friend introduced me to advirder.com. I lurked for a bit reading pieces of threads he'd send me.
Then I got hooked by, Rogue 1's "Took A Little Ride", then MikeO's "Inspection of the Colonies", and then I discovered Gaspipe and BigdogAdventures.
advrider had me at "Took a little ride..."

This thread has been the one that lured me back toward the superbike end of the spectrum. I lurked around Ducati ads online, my head would snap sideways as that sounds came by. Soon, I was dropping by dealers in various cities. Always careful to only do so far form home on business travel. Less temptation and ability to bring home something of a certain size.

Still on the road though in rental cars and planes and hotels working off laptops and slow connections.

Anti, thanks for the daydreams. Awesome stuff.
CotA had to be a hoot. I got to ride an AMA track on my 50th birthday for free. Very cool. Got passed by an AMA spec 999 Ducati like I was painted on the fence. I was topped out against the rev limiter in sixth at the time.

I'm looking forward to that video. Should be fun.

Keep it rolling.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #1852
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
And you hang in there Mifune, and maybe someday somewhere, after you figure out how to ride your adventure keyboard rtw, what you have to say will matter.

manban9888 screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 06:11 AM
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #1853
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
As a long-time ADV inmate and Ducati lover, I could not resist being drawn to this thread. You did a terrific job of drawing me in with your initial pre-departure posts, AntiHero. Since I was seliing my 1098 and contemplating a courtship with her younger sister, I dipped in from time to time, hoping to read more about your experiences with the bike. Your 1199R review tipped me over the edge, so thanks very much for that. I put a lot more stock in the views of someone who's spent over 15,000 miles on a comparable bike than in anything the pros have written. I also really enjoyed your photos and will definitely pick up a copy of your coffee table book to drool over while I wait for my R to arrive.

What I have to say now is definitely going to rub some people the wrong way and I want to preface it by saying that it is not intended in any way as a criticism of your ride report (except that I really would have liked to read more of your impressions of the bike)....

I've now read the thread from beginning to end - almost 2000 posts. And the reader posts really left me wondering when the ADV community turned into such a small minded, whining, and resentful bunch of pussies. I'm sure AntiHero is a nice guy, but there are hundreds of reports here and on HUBB that recount more remarkable adventures. The political and social commentary so many of you seem to have found profound is largely sophomoric -- certainly nothing to compare with Hunter S. Thompson, Robert Pirsig, or even Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I found AntiHero's commentary on the CosPlay crowd quite the most interesting section,having once been seated between two fully-got-up participants on a cross-country flight. And while I agree with one other reader that AntiHero could have shown more empathy for his subjects, I also get that he's not out to emulate Bruce Chatwin. Yes, he took the Panigale on a few fire roads, but I know people who have ridden their Ducatis over the Transfagarasan and Transalpina before they were paved. There's nothing here approaching the ballsyness of, say Nick Sanders or at least a dozen other super bike adventurers. So I just don't get the fawning reaction of so many readers.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the report and don't wish to take anything away from AntiHero -- who of course cannot be held responsible for his fans -- some of you guys should really get out more often, read a little bit, get some perspective on the world, and overcome your pent up frustrations and petty resentment.

-Mifune
+1...IMO, this is the most insightful post in this thread.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #1854
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
+1...IMO, this is the most insightful post in this thread.
You ate some potato salad didn't you?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #1855
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Some people suck at the internet....

I think everyone that is on a forum, should strive to have a post to threads started ratio of at least 25:1. Under 10:1 and you are either not searching enough, not reading enough, or just full of yourself.

I'm going to go back to reading this thread like I did the bulk of it, by ONLY reading Anti Hero's posts.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #1856
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
You ate some potato salad didn't you?
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #1857
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,812
Throw out the potato salad already

Mifune get the sand out of your vagina. We are all here for the same reason = We love motorcycles and the paths they take us on. Doesnt matter if your Adventure takes you around the block or around the world, enjoy every damn second of it. And never, I say never piss in one's corn flakes and not expect repercussions. Sorry to garbage up your thread AH, my deepest apologies

AH, Thanks for taking us on this epic journey !! I felt as if I endured the pains of the Panigale saddle, enjoyed phenomenal meals, spent quality time with your various house mates, experienced every bump in the road, and I almost felt the wind in my hair. Thats what great writers do (que: applause)
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #1858
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally written by that Mifune fella:

So I just don't get the fawning reaction of so many readers.
Profundity is found by those who avail themselves to it. If one requires having one's ankle ravaged by a colony of fire ants to experience that profundity whilst his GS is mired in quicksand in some jungle, fine. Just know that the duration and destination are not even the remotest bit important. No matter what the destination, insight shall be found by those who seek it.

The reader, in turn, finds contradictions and similarities to his/her own life journey and, when availing him-/herself to profundity, can glean valuable lessons and inspiration. People read what attracts them. People are drawn to similar energies. "Like attracts like."

Condescension in judging how/where people find inspiration on their journey is very telling. It speaks more about you than it does them.

Peace.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #1859
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

I sure hope the sand gets douched, the panties laundered and the potato salad is thrown out. Mifune has indicated he didn't mean it as it sounded. May we get back to Dennis' excellent thread and quit beating each other up? I do not mean this to be offensive in any way.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #1860
RacineWI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Screw all this bickering....hey Anti, in ten years are we going to be reading "coast to coast with my wife on the back and kid in the side car"?
RacineWI is offline   Reply With Quote