User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #256
qhfan2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm in!

I'm in on this one - Excellent, Excellent Ride Report! My boyfriend is doing a major ride/adventure. We went from So Cal down through Baja and stayed a few nights in Cabo and camped on the beach elsewhere along our stay. We got home and he headed up north to Alaska and is on his way back down and will be in Canada tonight. He will also continue South through Mexico, Central & South America and beyond. Obviously, I'm keeping up with his ride report while I stay home but am so intrigued by yours. Now I'm keeping up on two ride reports! Just amazing!
qhfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #257
scootlew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Awesome!
scootlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #258
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhfan2 View Post
I'm in on this one - Excellent, Excellent Ride Report! My boyfriend is doing a major ride/adventure. We went from So Cal down through Baja and stayed a few nights in Cabo and camped on the beach elsewhere along our stay. We got home and he headed up north to Alaska and is on his way back down and will be in Canada tonight. He will also continue South through Mexico, Central & South America and beyond. Obviously, I'm keeping up with his ride report while I stay home but am so intrigued by yours. Now I'm keeping up on two ride reports! Just amazing!
Wow, that's a lot of time away from each other. Perhaps that's the secret to a great relationship! :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #259
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Going to miss out on D.R.I.L.L. And I'm really regretting it even now. I just can't fit it in before MotoGP.

I'm a bit behind on my RR and it's looking like I'm even going to get more behind if I don't do something quickly! So here goes.

Ray Kang from MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association and previous honorable mentions) had indicated that they were doing a ride through the Alphabet Roads that would take me through scenic roads on the way to Madison. It was a day after my intended departure, but what the hell, I wasn't going to pass up a ride through the countryside on famous (in this part of the country at least), roads with someone who knew their way around.

And awesome the roads were. I was expecting good, but the Alphabet Roads were sublime. Nearly zero traffic, hours and miles of roads that had just enough debris on them to keep you really focused and no police!

During the ride I didn't get any pictures until I broke off, but I stole some from MSTA's website (and other places). If you're ever in Wisconsin, these roads are a must.

Video download of Wildcat Mountain (not of me) HERE.

Great turnout for the club--lots of different bikes and riders, but everyone had the same sort of riding styles and skills, which (from what I hear, as I've never ridden with more than 2 other riders at a time) is not common among groups.

The only mishap of the day happened at the start, where a rider, whom I won't name (hi Jon!), had a low speed, slow motion incident. Everyone has conjectured how much damage would happen to an 1199 if dropped, but the only casualty was the last digit of a clutch lever and a small scratch on the bar end.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #260
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

At some point two riders were stung...and then we discovered this:

A wasp was REALLY trying to get at my face, so John removed the little bastard surgically with my Strider 'scalpel':

And then we were off for more roads and Rockton Bar in La Farge where we each downed a hunk of chicken flesh that could choke a cheetah, sweet cold beans and icy beverages. The memory of the chicken took up so much disk space in the location I have allocated in my short term memory that a recollection of that potato salad apparently couldn't be saved, so I have no idea how it tasted and wouldn't even know it existed were it not for the picture!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #261
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

After getting lost, I busted out my iPhone to try and find my way....in the distance I spotted a dark, horse drawn carraige....AMISH!!!!! My first Amish spotting on the trip (and only the second Amish encounter I'd had up to the point). They all smiled and waved as I went by. They may be old-fashioned, but damn they have good taste in bikes.

Not being in a group allowed me to stop and take pics of the kind of roads/countryside we rolled through. (And instead of looking for good brake markers and apex/track outs I relaxed and enjoyed the clean air, great weather and beautiful scenery.)

Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #262
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

On the way to Madison:

And finally made it to my hosts, Hakan and Michi. Two more really awesome people this trip has given me the chance to meet.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #263
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

On the way to Indianapolis (where I am now) I spent the night in a time warp. There's a bed and breakfast in Bloomington, IL, the Vrooman Mansion. I'll let you google it, because there's a lot of history to the house that's fascinating, but not necessarily attention grabbing to everyone. It was a time-travel kind of experience, though.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #264
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

The result of "War Fields"

Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #265
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #266
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

I spent the night in Leticia Stevenson's room.

And in the morning went to the local cemetery to find where she currently sleeps at night now.

The Vrooman mansion was living history, a living museum, a creaky window back in time. And when I awoke in Letetia’s room with a pillow over my head to drown out the sounds and the light and I realized that in Victorian times houses were not constructed for privacy or silence. Other people and all their activities and whispers and grunts and bodily functions were audible and nearly everywhere you were you were within sight of someone else. The room itself, consisting of a bed, a vanity and a small closet was not a place to retreat—it was a place to sleep and a place to prepare oneself for presentation to the outside world.

It's been said that a man's face is his autobiography and a woman’s her fiction. But I got the impression that perhaps a woman's behavior and outward appearance was fiction that plagiarized someone else’s story of what her life was supposed to be and was reminded of an 18th century suicide note that read, simply, "All of this buttoning and unbuttoning." (Perhaps that's the inspiration for Camus' man moving peas from pan to pan, then back again?)

(Keep in mind this is what I remember flowing uninhibitedly through my head while I was still buried under Victorian pillows around 5 or 6am, listening to the creaks and moans of the house, reminding me that the greatest clarity is experienced in solitude.)
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #267
IndyDave
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just awesome man, looking forward to each post!
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #268
SloLife
Masher

Oddometer: 21
Truly amazing journey. You're an inspiration to all. You've got me looking into a trip to Denver to visit my sister by ways of the path less taken. Epic journey!!!!!
2002 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Versys
SloLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #269
Ruud109
ADV rookie

Oddometer: 57
What an awesome thread! I think a lot of us break their heads about (un)necessary preparations, good to see you just go out and enjoy the ride without worrying too much up front.

That said, crossing the US is different than doing Africa overland, but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoy your thread!

Good luck, have fun & safe travels

Ruud
Ruud109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #270
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
That really does look like a fat Darth Maul with goat legs.

Great read Anti-Hero! I love the pictures, love the Duc, and REALLY enjoy your philosophical pondering.