Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #526
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Okay....thanks for the small fix......LOL
Sorry to hear about the bike, but in the pics afterwards you don't even see the lever is broken.
Anyways, glad it wasn't worse.
Superglue! :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #527
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Superglue! :)

If you stay up there in the great white north much longer, ice screws in the tires and frame
sliders might be nice mods to have

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #528
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 26
Glad to see ya gots some proper foot wear, I was worried about them funky shoes you started out on. LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #529
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
awwww, heck, you didn't really drop her, you just kind of let her down, gently, or as gently as you could! Hey, in 20 more years you'll be able to say "I only ever laid a bike down once in 40 years".....

I agree that "olde Montreal" is only old in terms of the architecture.....but overall the town is great....there is always something fun going on every week of the summer. If you had time or space to do some cooking, I'd say get over to Marche Jean Talon for a most amazing fresh food market stall experience.

Quick note on Hunter Thompson....he never quite felt comfortable in American society, it seems. Maybe sense of rejection due to being kicked out of high school just before graduation for a stupid prank? Dunno. Maybe. Maybe the other way around. "Fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72" is maybe the best book written about the way presidential campaigns USED to be run. His early articles in "The National Observer"...travel accounts...I recommend highly.

Where are you headed next?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #530
nivs
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 42
I fell off my dirtbike pretty hard a couple of weeks ago. My helmet smacked the ground pretty good. I would have broken my skull open without it. I've been riding bikes for about 25 years with my helmet only really keeping the bugs and wind off of my cabasa wondering if I really need it (the helmet). It got me thinking. I'm really glad it happened. I decided to look at it as a good reminder. Glad I got off light. Glad you did, too. Epic report.
nivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #531
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hey, in 20 more years you'll be able to say "I only ever laid a bike down once in 40 years".....
or in 30yrs say to your grandson...did I ever tell you the time I laid down an Italian super model while visting Montreal...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #532
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Quick note on Hunter Thompson....he never quite felt comfortable in American society, it seems. Maybe sense of rejection due to being kicked out of high school just before graduation for a stupid prank?

You've got it backwards. There was nothing wrong with Thompson,
unless being a keen observer qualifies as a personality flaw. The inability of
someone who is paying attention to fit comfortably in a messed up society is not a
flaw, any more than a sensitive sense of smell is a flaw in a dog.

Hunter Thompson didn't like a lot of the foulness that infests so much
of American society. Thompson had a better grasp of how the system works
in the US than most people do. It's easier to be comfortable with the state of the world
when you aren't paying attention, and all you care about is what's for dinner and what is
on TV ( the Romans called this "bread and circuses", and it was a means of keeping the
populace docile in order that the ruling class would not have to deal with uprisings )

Hunter Thompson did pay attention and much of what he saw was very ugly indeed.
It would be interesting to hear what Thompson would have to say about how things are today;
I'm sure he would have some choice words about the extreme selfishness and lack of civility
that is so prevalent the US these days.

I could say a lot more, but it's Antihero's RR, so I will stop now.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 10:45 PM
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #533
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
My being equivocal about Thompson was my (possibly lame) attempt to comment on the earlier HST comments yet avoid the possibility of wandering too far from Antihero's RR. Truth is, I agree with you. What would HST say about today's American society? Extrapolate from "Generation of Swine".....probably pretty close. I think this guy just about hit a ten: http://www.insomniacathon.org/rrIHTTH01.html
HST was right, living on the margins of society is hard. Not being approved of by a majority. Riding a bike, going on adventures, puts us out there on the fringe, too, even if we're not out and out outlaws--we're outside the cultural norms. And I think that relates back to Antihero's RR, 'cause his vantage point changed once he started the ride, same time his cultural niche changed. HIs journey sets him apart. Heck, even the fact that he's doing this on a Panigale sets him apart from the "DS norm" within the community of long riders (a key reason he's my hero of season). He's still an active participant in the world, but he's coming at it from a different angle now -- looking in from an edge. Fortunately for us, his excellent writing skills are conveying his experiences awesomely!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #534
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,383
Well, I just got caught up on this RR, and I have to say it was absolutely riveting. I joined up on this site to do some research for a month-long ride next summer, and I am glad I started reading some of the reports in this sub-forum. I've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance more than a couple times and, like many other readers here, I think there's the seed of a book every bit as good here.

Wish that I'd been on this site a bit earlier so I could have met up with you when you were in Detroit, I live right on the 8 Mile border and go to school at WSU in Midtown. Glad you found Slow's, though, that's one of the gems of Corktown for sure.

Looking forward to more!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #535
marco427
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Your odyssey thus far has been one of the best commentaries I've ever read about the high and low points of American life in 2012.

If your plans (or meanderings) take you south, and I highly recommend it, let me add our place as a possible future destination. We have plenty of room for a guest, a nice garage for the supermodel, and I'll even spring for a bottle of that ridiculously expensive gin that you favor. Look up Jasper, Georgia on Google.
marco427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #536
BlackStallion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
How are you coming up with your small 'essay' on the connection between man and machine... Very much looking forward to it..
BlackStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #537
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Haven't forgot about you guys. I've been overwhelmed going from place to place since Montreal and spend all of my time on the road, checking in/checking out of new places between Montreal and Boston (where I am now). The Man/Machine 'essay' has grown to 11 pages. But I've got a Cliff's Notes version to be released SOON! (Tomorrow.)

Again, all the support and encouragement are much appreciated. Me being online, writing and posting pictures is a luxury that I just haven't had the time for with all the travel--and I've been struggling to catch up on a lot of work from taking a few vacation days.

Soon soon soon!!!!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #538
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
The Man/Machine 'essay' has grown to 11 pages. But I've got a Cliff's Notes version to be released SOON! (Tomorrow.)

Please allow us to read the entire 11 pages. That's short compared to the bombastic
soliloquy of John Galt in "Atlas Shrugged", and if what you have written so far is any
indication, it will be far more worthwhile reading.

I suppose a Cliff's Notes version might be necessary for some, but I think that some of us
are ready to read the unabridged version, so please do allow us the option.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #539
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:

HST was right, living on the margins of society is hard. Not being approved of by a majority. Riding a bike, going on adventures, puts us out there on the fringe, too, even if we're not out and out outlaws--we're outside the cultural norms. And I think that relates back to Antihero's RR, 'cause his vantage point changed once he started the ride, same time his cultural niche changed.

It's true that living on the margins of society is difficult, but I submit that not being true
to yourself is even more difficult.

The best things in life are not the things which come easily, but the things for which
we are willing to fight, bleed, suffer, and maybe even die. The particulars vary from one
person to the next, but what matters is finding something that matters enough to you that you are
willing to endure whatever is necessary in order to experience it.

One thing is for sure, Antihero is a "hard core" guy, and I think many of us appreciate
that for its own sake even if we might not ride a Panigale or compete in triathlons which leave us in a
near-death state. At the end of the cycle of life, we all end up in the same place, but few of us stand on
the edge for very long before we get there, and those who do are bright lights in this world.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 09-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #540
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149

Damn man, that's some deep stuff.......
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote