Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #991
lmyamen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
What an incredible report. I opened it up this morning with my cup of coffee and it has been on my screen all day long. I spent the full day reading and enjoying this report. I enjoy seeing someone use the Panigale as a touring bike like you have. I am excited to follow this thread!!
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #992
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Welcome, Imyamen. That must have been some strong coffee. ;) I wish I could promise (and look forward to) another 50 pages, but my trip is nearing its end.

Thereís a very specific internal state thatís emerged from this journey. Iíd say itís a feeling, but thereís a distinction I canít articulate, so Iíll just describe the idea as it exists in my mind visually. (In my head) A state is a geometric shape that has a thick and uniform colored line around the perimeter, whereas feelings are little electric fuzzy balls bouncing around inside (or sometimes floating, rolling like steel balls or magnetically stuck to the sides). Feelings are fairly universal and rarely change, but states are forged with repeat experiences--internal reproductions of an external environment or experience. They can be peaceful (meditation, not that Iíd know) or troublesome (PTSD), and they can be anything in between. They change with age and new experiences, but old ones can be re-experienced with very specific sensory inputs (smells or songs, typically).

When I looked into the mirror the day I left I knew Iíd return different. That my leaving was a Ďsuicide of sortsí. The power of experiences has changed me into a different person. Things exist inside me that didnít exist when I began. And the things that did exist have been reshaped. The problem is that Iím nearing the end of my trip and Iím faced with living Ďnormallyí. But this new state isnít compatible with picket fences, 12 month leases or a regular mailing address.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #993
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Phoenix or Failure

From Nola to Texas:

I've been in Austin for a week now I think. I really love it here, except for the fact that the roads have as much traction as a boulevard paved with Starburst fruit chews (which is actually a lot of fun. With TC set low I can drift at will and slither away from each and every stoplight. Front end tuck is not quite as fun, though).

I'll get to posting pics and a report of Austin soon, but I'm not going to have time before my next leg. Tires finally arrived, which means I'll be leaving to Phoenix on Friday morning. Though my bike will be ready for the trip, 1000 miles in under 24 hours is an oppressive (if not exciting) physical prospect and I am not underestimating the difficulty. I'm not going to bother with registering for the Iron Butt Association (somehow trying to legitimize what I'm doing always seems less legitimate, plus I have a healthy intolerance for indexing, filing, stamping, briefing and debriefing.). I will use a couple of witnesses to silence the trolls and I'll also tweet real-time GPS coordinates using Google Maps.

That my heart is beating 10% faster than it should at rest just thinking about all this, which is a fortuitous indication that this is the right decision.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #994
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
When I looked into the mirror the day I left I knew Iíd return different. That my leaving was a Ďsuicide of sortsí. The power of experiences has changed me into a different person. Things exist inside me that didnít exist when I began. And the things that did exist have been reshaped. The problem is that Iím nearing the end of my trip and Iím faced with living Ďnormallyí. But this new state isnít compatible with picket fences, 12 month leases or a regular mailing address.
You need a voyaging yacht. The anti picket fence and trapped in normalcy vehicle; plus you always know you can throw off the lines and be in Europe or Africa in 25 days.

Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #995
nicola_a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
+1 for what Gun Smoke suggests above. It's a surefire way to break the mould.
Except the reality is that living on a sailing boat is not even close to being as luxurious as those pictures suggest!! (I've done it).
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #996
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola_a View Post
+1 for what Gun Smoke suggests above. It's a surefire way to break the mould.
Except the reality is that living on a sailing boat is not even close to being as luxurious as those pictures suggest!! (I've done it).
I've done it too and you are quite right. It can be a damp smelly experience. I lived aboard a 33 foot Hans Christian cutter. There is a certain romanticism about life aboard. It's tangible especially at anchor. I used to love to pop over to the Bahamas and just anchor out alone with a bottle of rum. Mostly I never even bothered with customs and immigration. I sailed the Caribbean but my dream which I will fulfill was to circumnavigate. I hope to buy a 28' Bristol Channel Cutter on which to do it.

Here is a fine example of the Hans Christian I owned. They say it's a happy day when you sell your boat. I hated to see her go. She was a bluewater cruiser in the truest sense of the word.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...6400&noOfPic=2

Ah and the boat I will buy for my circumnavigation. The Bristol Channel Cutter. Below is a fine example of my dream boat. A little ship really. A single handers dream. 13,000#, 37 foot overall with 28' on deck. An all ocean cruiser.
http://www.lindajohnstoninteriors.com/tenacity.php#
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #997
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Funny that sailing would come up. I was just reminiscing yesterday and thinking how similar adventure on a bike and adventure on a boat is. The one difference is, and which probably gives voyaging by sea an edge on extreme, is that you can simply stop on a bike, but at sea there is no break (until you arrive that is), especially single-handing. The sea is inexorable.

Looking forward to the conclusion of your journey, AH.

Cheers,

Mike, 50 Ton Master (inactive) and Motorcyclist
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #998
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRider View Post
Funny that sailing would come up. I was just reminiscing yesterday and thinking how similar adventure on a bike and adventure on a boat is. The one difference is, and which probably gives voyaging by sea an edge on extreme, is that you can simply stop on a bike, but at sea there is no break (until you arrive that is), especially single-handing. The sea is inexorable.

Looking forward to the conclusion of your journey, AH.

Cheers,

Mike, 50 Ton Master (inactive) and Motorcyclist
Yes, but when riding underway, it's tough to go below and grab a snack. Also when riding, when you stop for the night, you can't just make sure the anchor is set and then relax in the cockpit watching the sun set.

I've lived aboard about 7 years. The only parallel I can find is that both means of travel are sport. By that I mean they aren't the most practical way to get about AND every run is either wonderful or terrible. There is no mediocre in sailing or riding.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #999
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
But how good would any sailboat be on the twisties? Anti-Hero is putting his thoughts together right now - I don't think he's given us his conclusions yet. I went back to the beginning of the RR to refresh my understanding of the genesis of this journey. He said that he'd been living in a way that was designed to achieve the facilitation of very specific financial, occupational, educational, and social goals....and that he knew he was stepping away from that and that doing so would be a "death" of sorts. Just before he left SF he met a neighbor of the guy he was staying with, who said '"On your journey remember, "Right here, right now, nothing else matters." Great advice and a poignant reminder of what this trip is all about.' To me, those are the essence of "Anti-Hero's Trip".....to consciously abandon a focus on achieving future goals and adopt a "right here, right now" way of living, accepting that the journey is the goal, the destination is not the goal, for in the end he's going to return to where he started. Except it won't really be "where he started" because he won't be the same guy when he gets back. I expect he'll tell us more about how the trip has affected him. Anti-Hero, please accept my apologies if I've strayed with this post. No intention to play armchair shrink or tell you what your trip was all about. Just a bit of what I've learned about life from reading your incredible RR. Thanks again for taking us along for the ride and sharing your thoughts with us.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #1000
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
you guys had to go there, didn't you? I've dreamed of sailing for years. The most sailing I've done has been on little hobie cats or sunfish/lazers... I decided I wanted a little cruiser a few years back and bought a fixer upper... wow big mistake! I worked on this boat for over a year and never got to sail it (ended up moving cross-country for work).

Some day I'll have another...

if you guys want to read the ultimate sailing/travel blog, check out www.bumfuzzle.com
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1001
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 188
Well, it is said that the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #1002
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,767
I headed west out of Phoenix in a couple hours. Drop me a PM if you're here next week. I'm not on two wheels, but I know where there is a couch to crash on.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #1003
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
you guys had to go there, didn't you? I've dreamed of sailing for years. The most sailing I've done has been on little hobie cats or sunfish/lazers... I decided I wanted a little cruiser a few years back and bought a fixer upper... wow big mistake! I worked on this boat for over a year and never got to sail it (ended up moving cross-country for work).

Some day I'll have another...

if you guys want to read the ultimate sailing/travel blog, check out www.bumfuzzle.com
Hope you do it!
Not me....for some reason, I have become afraid of open spaces, and heights.
Kind of weird when I grew up on the 15th floor of an apartment building and swam out to small coral islands from the beaches in PR.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #1004
T-FAST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hope you have a safe journey tomorrow through Texas to Arizona.
T-FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #1005
gueroaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Awesome thread Anti.
gueroaero is offline   Reply With Quote