User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #1156
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

I think this is my first post here, like many others I created an account just to be able to follow your thread.

It's become much more than just a thread, it's become an inspiration and a kind of "guidance" for many of us.

The last posts once again left me speechless. Beautiful beautiful pictures of the Panigale in the beloved Death Valley... I have been fortunate enough to visit it two times - that's a lot considering I'm Swiss.

I wish you all the best for what's to come, a happy new year and I'm so looking forward to your next post, Anti.

Thank you.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #1157
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrwh View Post
From that link on feeding such a critter:
Prey that cannot climb the sides of containers, like Eublaberus or Blaberus burrowing cockroaches, are preferable when feeding vinegaroons. Crickets work well especially if legs are removed to prevent jumping. Young can be fed wingless fruit flies or pinhead crickets.

Kinda' gives one an idea of what else may live in that room.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #1158
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Awesome! Will definitely incorporate Death Valley National park into my South West tour!
So how much was that incredible room next to the opera house? LOL
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #1159
nadolski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
What an Adventure

Hi AH, I feel like I know you. I have been reading this thread for the past week and finally caught up! You have a great writing style and what an adventure on so many levels! Thanks for sharing. Wish you the best in your travels.
nadolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #1160
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Despite the less-than-spotless condition of the hotel, the Opera House blew my mind. For $5 you get a key, walk to the end of the motel, unlock a padlock and walk out of the desert into your own private world:

(As you can tell, I just love the theater, especially musicals.)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #1161
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

The History of the Amargosa Opera House (from Wiki):
Marta Becket rented the recreation hall in 1967, then known as Corkhill Hall, began repairs, created the sets, painted murals on the adobe walls and renamed it the Amargosa Opera House.[4] In 1970, journalists from National Geographic discovered Becket doing a performance at the Amargosa Opera House without an audience. Their profile and another in Life led to an international interest in Becket and her theater. She began performing to visitors from around the world, including such notables as Ray Bradbury and Red Skelton.[5] In 1983, the Opera House bought 120 theater seats from the Boulder City Theater in Boulder City, Nevada to replace the worn garden chairs needing retirement.

Think about it--'crazy' lady in the 60s hoofs it to Death Valley and not only builds an Opera House in the middle of nowhere, she performs in front of a bunch of empty seats. Sounds like a recipe for failure and misery on the surface. But the opposite happens. Woman follows and achieves her dreams despite that just the opposite should have happened. I have seen no better example on this trip of how to plan and realize an ultimate achievement. Imagine the thousands of women just like her who dreamed of performing in their own theaters, of hearing the applause at the end of the night, of the lines of spectators waiting to meet the legend....and imagine all of those people who, not having the means, died never having succeeded. I can hear them saying on their deathbed, 'hey, not everyone can be Angelina Jolie'. The tragedy is that's true. And in the small bit of truth there we get stuck. The other truth that is only slightly less obvious? We can all be our own version.

The genius of Marta and the Amargosa Opera House is she built the blueprint of her dream based on the tools and raw materials and skills she had available to her instead of living a regrettable life dreaming of what it could have been with perfect tools and materials. (An outstanding example of the proverbial frog without wings. Instead of pining away, dreaming of being a bird flying effortlessly, she flew as far as her legs would propel her--and jumped as often as she could.)

Side note--I've always hated the expression "follow your dreams," for two reasons: 1) the phrase is overused enough to have lost all meaning and 2) I can't think of a more passive way of expressing an otherwise outstanding idea. Don't fucking follow your dreams as if it was some balloon floating gently in the breeze. When did following lead to any kind of achievement? Slow meandering does not turn internal desire or vision into an external reality.

More goals would be realized if we thought of dreams as something requiring effort and risk and sacrifice, if instead of "follow your dreams" we declared: "Dreams are prey and should be hunted, stalked, decapitated and devoured. And when you've sucked the last bit of marrow from the bones, mount the head on a wall, enjoy it for a moment and begin planning your next hunt."

And if you're reading this now, thinking of some seemingly unattainable objective--let's just use, "I wanted to be Bon Jovi" as an example. First of all, no one except Bon Jovi wants to be Bon Jovi (and even that is questionable). What was really wanted? Break it down. If it was the megalomaniacal feeling of being on a stage in front of screaming fans, start a band and play at the local pizza parlor. You might not make millions, but you'll have an audience. Plus free pizza, beer, and a MILF blowjob from time to time doesn't sound bad, right?

I recently watched a film on Vimeo about an Isle of Man TT competitor who, after a pretty bad accident, can't race. Instead of pining away 'would-of-could-of-should-of' style, he's taken on a role of mentoring all the first time TT riders. Helping teach the future riders is not an insignificant way of participating in victory, right? And helping to save lives in the process can't feel bad, either. The point I'm belaboring (on purpose) is examine what SPECIFICALLY attracted you/attracts you to a particular goal. Identify that, then build a blueprint on how to achieve it using your current set of tools, materials and abilities.

Is there any greater torment than to grow old without having fulfilled (or forgotten) the dreams of our youth? Attack your dreams now or be attacked by them later.

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 11:46 AM
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #1162
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Awesome! Will definitely incorporate Death Valley National park into my South West tour!
So how much was that incredible room next to the opera house? LOL
$60! Did I mention the sewer line broke the second day? Right outside my room, too. Nothing like the smell of raw sewage to keep the critters away.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #1163
jachew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Excellent RIde Report

Spent a few days on my break reading your posts! Your images are stunning, and your words flow with your life and your journey. Best to you in 2013.
Take care,
JC

BTW, what is the title of the Vinemo clip?
jachew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #1164
duncanfc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucati View Post
oh man what is that bug?

Doesn't look like a whip scorpian, aka vinegaroon, to me. Not seeing the 'whip'.

Much more like a dried out Jerusalem cricket, which are abundant in the Amaragosa:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...et&FORM=HDRSC2
duncanfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #1165
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
More goals would be realized if we thought of dreams as something requiring effort and risk and sacrifice, if instead of "follow your dreams" we declared: "Dreams are prey and should be hunted, stalked, decapitated and devoured. And when you've sucked the last bit of marrow from the bones, mount the head on a wall, enjoy it for a moment and begin planning your next hunt."

Bravo!

And absolutely true.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #1166
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
AH, you've struck a nerve again. I am reminded by your story of the TT rider turned mentor of a similar tale. A young baseball player makes it to the big leagues when just 19. But his career doesn't go as he'd hoped. He gets traded from club to club and by the end of his career he's played a lot in the minors and only 132 games in the majors. Baseball over, he goes back to school and winds up graduating from law school a few years later. Before graduating he discussed his post law school plans with a professor, telling him that he had an offer to manage a minor league baseball team. The prof told him to forget it and grow up because now he was going to be a lawyer. But he decided he liked riding a bus with a minor league team better than he did practicing law, so that's what he did. He never won a world series as a player, but he won 3 as a manager. Tony LaRussa. Stalk those dreams!

PS--IMHO those folks who race the TT, NW 200, etc are either the bravest or the craziest birds on this blue orb.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #1167
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachew View Post
Spent a few days on my break reading your posts! Your images are stunning, and your words flow with your life and your journey. Best to you in 2013.
Take care,
JC

BTW, what is the title of the Vinemo clip?
Sorry to suck up so much time on your break. ;) But glad you've enjoyed thus far.

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=g8J6s7qSUbY

No subtitles for Guy Martin, though. ;)
Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #1168
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
That opera house is incredible! Wow what a quirky place! It's very interesting to me how few people in life think "outside" the box, and how those that do are often perceived as a little cooky. Very cool, loved the pics of Death Valley - definitely on my list of places to visit now!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #1169
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

No subtitles for Guy Martin, though. ;)
Thank God it's not just me. I have watched the TT for years and in all that time I probably only got one word out of 20 in any Guy Martin interview. Interesting fella.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #1170
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Lots more pics of Death Valley to come....

AntiHero screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 05:03 PM