Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #1261
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
Are you still in the Valley? I saw a Panigale flying along the road to Austin the other day and thought, "no way!"
Wasn't me. I wish!

Absolutely, Rico--the coyotes reacted to the bike like it was an animal. Throughout the entire trip animals (sheep, cows, horses and now coyotes) responded. Never happened on my inline 4s, nor did it on my triple. Something about the sound of the twin has a different effect. Heartbeat? Growling? Purring? Not sure, but it reinforces that whole limbic resonance phenomenon. The coyotes were the first to look the Panigale in the eye, though, and bow down with deference.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #1262
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
I'm remembering those birds in South Dakota who were so attracted to the Duc they threw themselves under your wheels and into your left foot. Glad that the ride didn't end there. In to the end.....
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #1263
dmun
dmun

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I'd spent a little time with a couple Coyotes in DV before. They're fairly tame and just want food (of course, they're unpredictable and could definitely tear someone up properly if they wanted to). Definitely never a good idea to feed wild animals--for their health and your own safety--but anyone who's read this far knows how much I like bad ideas. :) What I did discover was that unlike dogs, these guys aren't used to taking food from someone's hand and error on the side of going too far when judging distances. Though the little fucker moved up pretty slowly, he lunged at the last minute, made a horrific kind of growling/gulping sound, opened his jaws far, far too wide and would have nailed my fingers if I hadn't pulled back and dropped the grub.

When I was all out of food I jumped back on the bike and took off. And when I looked in the rear view mirror I saw them both chasing me down. I slowed down and they just ran with me as if the Ducati was some sort of snarling alpha male they felt safe being near. Was a very cool man/machine/wild animal moment. I couldn't have asked for a better sendoff, especially considering what was coming next.
Been following your report for awhile but havent posted up yet. these pics finally did it. this series of pics are great! too bad you couldn't have gotten him grabbing for it but self preservation always wins.
dmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #1264
lucati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
i just realized i have been following this thread for a quite a while. i went back to page one, it seems like yesterday that i read it but it has been months. your ride report began in july. this is january. time flies when you're having fun.

thanks for the effort you have put into the rr for our benefit.
lucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1265
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 575
+1
sunset_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #1266
alohagirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:

Is the coyote growling at the bike?
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #1267
Frosty_spl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Holy shit this is amazing!

Did they ignore you and just creep up to the bike??!1?!

I would have shit my pants if TWO came up, much less one. No where to hide or run.
Frosty_spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #1268
Lolodesiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
sooo lovely animals and moment share with them, must be fantastic to live this, they' re so cute

question to you antihero: i'm wondering how you always find a gas station in a so big journey??

ride free
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #1269
flumpmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11

Thanks for the great ride report and the inspiration to say 'fuck it' and get the bike you really want.

I picked up my Panigale S yesterday. What a glorious machine!
flumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #1270
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
RE: coyotes, we have a veritable plague of them on Cape Cod. When I say "plague" I mean that due to humans messing up the habitat, coyotes are overpopulated and too "tame" for their own good, becoming dependent on "unnatural" food sources.

At any rate, what I'm attempting to get at is that trying to feed a coyote is, as you note, a bad idea, but how bad can depend on the context. In DV, I imagine you stand a fair chance of leaving with your fingers intact and the majority of platelets still on the inside where they belong. On Cape Cod, not so much. My wife and I have had coyotes display some serious attitude while we are walking in the woods -- with our 80-lb. pit bull/Lab mix alongside.

Stay safe and be sure to count fingers before and after the next feeding [grin]. Remember, you can put them to much better use -- clutch & brake come to mind -- than the coyote.

-dan
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #1271
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Blader: Forgot about those damn birds, but you're right--they were fatally attracted to the Duc!

lucati: It's been a very long time....especially if you consider that it was actually April 19th when I first left LA on my Triumph!

dmun: if only I had it on video!

Hypergirl: no growling. They showed nothing but deference to the Pani. :)

Frosty_spl: initially they both circled me--neither on the same side, which was a little unnerving. Always seemed to have one in front and the other behind me. It felt like a choreographed dance. Then they ignored me and did the same to the bike.

Lolodesiles: I played it safe--when out in the middle of nowhere I'd stop and gas up even if I still had 2/3 of a tank left. And that saved my butt in a few instances--in some places there are no "next gas 130 miles" signs.

flumpmaster: Dude! Congratulations! PM me and let me know what your impressions are of the bike, I'd love to hear what you think about it. Very cool.

danham: I hear you. Their body language was anything but threatening, but wild animals are wild animals. Anything that survives in Death Valley, though, I think is deserving of a free meal every now and then. Have no idea how these little bastards survives without water the other 364 days of the year. Adaptation at its finest!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #1272
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
The pics of Wiley and the 1199 were simply the best ever!!! Great!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1273
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Great ride report, AntiHero. by the way, where could I get some more photos of that yellow street fighter you were riding when your duc was being service? I like to get a M900 monster and build it into something like that
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #1274
NavyDiveDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
He'd gotten married years back and had spent the past 9 years dealing with a stay-at-home woman who specialized in being unhappy, cranky and dissatisfied with everything. And the more he appeased her the more evil she became. Sound familiar to anyone? I characterized it as "Subjective Omnipotence," which is a term typically applied to children who are still in the phase of their development where they think the universe should provide for their needs. Instead of being grateful to the person who provides for them they just end up mad at said individual for everything that isn't perfect.
Funny, I've followed this RR since the fall, loving all of it. I go back to the beginning today and find this, that I somehow missed the first time through. A perfect summary of 14 years spent with my first wife. Still shaking my head. A fantastic journey AH, with much learned by those of us along for the ride. Thank you.
2011 R1200RT
2000 R1100S
NavyDiveDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #1275
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpmaster View Post
Talk about two opposite ends of the spectrum! In all reality though, a pretty sweet tandom.... a do-it-all bike and a race bike for the street.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote