Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #1336
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey View Post
Who won?
I took the most damage (my thumb still hasn't healed), but he ended up in the guillotine. >)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #1337
JS_MENACE
n00b

Oddometer: 1
$1900 service. I guess it's the price you have to pay to ride the sexiest bike on the road. Great RR, been quietly following
JS_MENACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1338
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I just spent my weekend reading every last page of this ride report. Absolutely inspiring!

Keep up the good work, and safe travels.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1339
GeorgiaBound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I spent last night reading this entire RR and was even a little late for work today because of it and I say F@#$ it was totally worth it! Thanks to Antihero for sharing his adventure I loved it!
GeorgiaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1340
tcuguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_MENACE View Post
$1900 service. I guess it's the price you have to pay to ride the sexiest bike on the road. Great RR, been quietly following
Pshhhh $1900...

that gets you only 3 hookers in vegas for a total of a couple of hours each. How many hours did it take you to get to 15K and have to pay $1900?!

... thats right.
tcuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1341
1960FL
Venturer

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I took the most damage (my thumb still hasn't healed), but he ended up in the guillotine. >)

Ahhhhhh Dennis!

So when are the two of you gong drinking again? Shit I’ll buy it is sure to not be much more than a good Pay Per View and the seats will be way better.

Glad to see you made home safe with the bruises coming from the Alcohol

Looking forward to your next adventure.

Rick
1960FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #1342
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
3 hookers for $1900? Not the two I talked too. They started at $1500.....of course, on a scale of 1-10, they were about 10.5! One of 'me was a 12!!!!!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #1343
dand111
n00b

Oddometer: 1
living your life

Thank you a hundred times over AntiHero for your quite "heroic" efforts here. In a word, your report is "wonderful." (wander-ful) You are a maverick, an intellectual cowboy on an exotic, foreign, metallic horse (thoroughbred). Sorry, but there is nothing "anti-hero" about you. You are just one of so few straight-out freaking post-modern heroes! (Deal with that.) On top of that you have serious writing talents. So often your words hit resounding emotional chords.
I kinda cringe a little bit at all the shots people take at those souls that choose to stay at home, raise families, or whatever their reasons may be for not rambling--that's their business regarding what they do or don't do or where they go or don't go. Do what you will with your life--after all, you're in charge. (at least for us who are fortunate enough to have been beneficiaries of those that have sacrificed everything for our freedom) Those of us that have the wanderlust, we roll on (and on, and on....) But that bug doesn't infect everyone. Hell, Immanuel Kant never left his hometown. (Although, in all fairness, if he had an Italian fire-breathing refined beast at his disposal it might have been a different story.) Thing is--some of us are sessile and some of us are tumbleweeds. Roll on dude! -dayll
dand111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #1344
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
There are plenty of great independent shops around the country that will do Ducati maintenance for about 1/2 the price of dealers. Their work is as good or better than most dealers, although YMMV. That said, the Panigali 15,000-mile service is about double what the dealer wants to do my MTS 1200.
Which dealer ? I'm still Jones's for a MS
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #1345
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
3 hookers for $1900? Not the two I talked too. They started at $1500.....of course, on a scale of 1-10, they were about 10.5! One of 'me was a 12!!!!!

Jeez I got to start partying w/ U guys, I got short arms & deep pockets. And FWIW, I can go to DR for a week, party like a rock star, w/ at least 2 different chicken heads daily, and that $1900 includes air, hotel, food, drinks, Wepa
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #1346
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
If you do make it back to DC remind me to never bring up MMA in a discussion, I like having working thumbs and eating solid food
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #1347
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Which dealer ? I'm still Jones's for a MS
Ducshop in Atlanta does my non-warranty work. There are other excellent, independent Ducati shops around the country. I do hydraulic systems flush and oil changes myself, leaving the infrequent valve adjustments to the pros.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #1348
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Onto the rest of the ride!

Back to where this trip began:

Having hit 15,000 miles in Death Valley (or maybe even a little before), I brought my bike into Ducati Newport Beach to have my first 'major' service done. I hope you're sitting down. When I called to ask how much it was I was not. Though Ducati has done a great job of doubling the time between valve adjustments (15K for the 1199 vs. 7500 miles for the 1098/1198/848), the frameless design requires complete disassemby of the bike. Swingarm, forks, everything. 16 hours, $1898.24.

Makes the look of these in the showroom a little less appealing:

Ducati has this backwards, they should be paying you. This RR has given them and their new bike a fortune in free publicity.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #1349
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Thanks, guys! Would be cool if Ducati contacts me--if nothing more than to say, "hey, knock off the off-road shit, you're hurting Multi-Strada sales!". :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #1350
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
Just finished your RR. Great story and adventure. Don't see how some have read it overnight. Anyway, just got back into biking after being off while the kids grew and will plan some extended rides this coming season. Picked up a "78 beemer R80/7 in 8/12 and it should certainly be up to the task after my winter checkout/maint./re do. Will think of this story many miles from home. Keep rollin'