User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Oddometer: 192
Thumb Lexx cans on '11 990-R

Hello fellow inmates! This is a quick review of the aftermarket Lexx exhaust MXe slip-on silencer with mid-pipe installed on a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure R.

Product Information from ThumperJockey.com: SKU# tsk1201920026c $289.99
(You can also get these from RockyMountainATVMC.com, Amazon, eBay etc. but they charge more)

· Dual Exhaust System.
· Fully tunable exhaust system allows the user to change from a race exhaust (46mm Race Tip) to a forest friendly silencer (Quiet Core Insert) with just three bolts.
· Engineered to improve torque and acceleration with an increase of up to 4 horsepower on some machines.
· Lightweight design saves up to 3.5 lbs over the stock exhaust.
· Included 46mm Race Tip for closed course competition.
· Includes Forest Service approved Quiet Core Spark Arrestor Insert that brings sound levels down below 96db.
· Constructed of lightweight 6061 T6 aluminum and durable 304 stainless steel.

Customer service:

The folks at ThumperJockey were professional and answered my questions succinctly. My cans shipped the day I placed the order and arrived two days later.

Fit and Finish:

The cans are well made with badging on both sides (the graphics don’t do anything for me but you may like them). The mid pipes are simply flanged tubes with square bolts welded to the flange lip. The welds are not pretty but appear robust.

A picture of the graphics ::

A pic of the mid-pipe bolts ::

Installation:

The instructions are comprehensive and well written; Much better that I am used to for aftermarket parts.

Installation was very straightforward. Remove the stock cans, bolt on the mid-pipes, slide on the cans, pull on the springs, and install the hangers. With the mid-pipes you don’t use the metal gasket from the stock exhaust but you will need some high-temperature sealant for the flange interface and the mid-pipe to can connection.

A 15-minute idle “reset” session and I was ready for a test ride!

Evaluation:

First, the sound with the spark arrestors installed - Yes, they are a bit louder than stock but not very much. Nowhere near as loud as the Leo Vince units. Closest sound comparison I’ve heard is with the Wings cans. The tone is definitely deeper and a bit sharper (a bit more “brap” when you go hooligan) than the Wings but a very pleasant tone.

These exhaust cans are “glass packs” and will probably get louder as the packing material ages and breaks down. I have about 400 miles on them and have not detected any change in the tone or loudness so far.

Second, the heat management – After the 15 minute idle “reset” I was able to put my hand directly on the can without getting burned. Man, what a difference! My passenger loves the reduced heat and is much more willing to go on 2-up rides with me … big win. Also, the engine runs cooler according to the temperature gauge - a full bar cooler when running at constant pavement speed of 55. If I had put these on first I might not have bought the secondary radiator fan kit

Third, change in performance – I believe the bike now has more low to mid range power (say the 2 - 4.5K RPM region) than before but that is certainly a subjective measure. Since you can already pull farm implements with these machines, its not like they need the added power/torque anyway. The extra "perceived" power may simply be a secondary effect of the testosterone / endorphins generated by that cool, throaty sound

Fourth, change in efficiency – This really surprised me. I have a 100-mile road ride through the mountains that I use as my control setting. It is a beautiful ride through the Jemez Mountains in Northern New Mexico starting at 6500 feet, climbing to 9000 with lots of very cool scenic vistas and grin generating twisty’s. With my stock setup, I averaged 45.5 MPG on this ride. With the new cans, I averaged 49.5 MPG … roughly a 10% increase.

Summary:

To reduce the heat, improve the sound, reduce the weight, maybe increase the power, and get me up to almost 50 MPG for under $300, this has been an awesome investment. Caveat – I only have a couple hundred miles on these cans so remember this is an evaluation of the product as new. I’ll provide an update after a couple thousand miles if anyone is interested.

Thanks for listening!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
Thanks, just what I was looking for!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 106
Would you mind taking some more pictures please? From a distance, the back and of the inserts.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
Would you mind taking some more pictures please? From a distance, the back and of the inserts.
Will do. Gotta go hose down the mean 990 adventure machine first so it will be pretty for the pictures. While out enjoying the new exhaust, I took a slow speed dirt nap in the mud (would that be a mud nap?) about 27 miles off-road up in the Jemez mountains.

Well, here are a few dirty pics. Will follow through later with other shots ::

I learned two things on this ride: 1) Respect the center of gravity on these big machines when in the slimy stuff, and 2) Eat your wheaties if you go out alone and drop a 990 ... these things are HEAVY

Okay, enough whining - I'll go wash the bike and take better pictures.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Quote:
OK - got the mud off the bike and the only damage is a scuff on the left crash bar. I sure am glad KTM makes these things to really ride off-road

Here you go ... From a distance, left side:

From a distance, right side:

Close up of the insert:

And, from the back:

Hope that helps!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 106
They look good, thanks for the pictures. Will the decals come off easy, if you wanted to?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Quote:
They look good, thanks for the pictures. Will the decals come off easy, if you wanted to?
Well, they are not exactly decals. Look at the first picture in this thread and you can see the graphic is a thin metal plate held on by two rivets. Should not be hard to drill out if you want to remove.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah View Post
Well, they are not exactly decals. Look at the first picture in this thread and you can see the graphic is a thin metal plate held on by two rivets. Should not be hard to drill out if you want to remove.
I've done it before, drill out rivets to remove the plate then pop a couple back in to fill the holes.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
cobrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Great report. You get unbelieveable great fuel mileage! If I behave I can get 40.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Well, that is pavement mileage ... last time I checked it was running about 20 MPG in the woods. Guess I have better riding restraint on pavement?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
gregpz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
is there a significant weight difference compared to stock exhaust, is 3.5lb saving accurate, stock is so heavy there should be more difference.
what is your opinion after couple month use and does it make any annoying sounds at highway speeds like droning, I like quiet exhausts now I must be aging
thanks
gregpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

I did not weigh them but agree the difference feels greater than 3.5 pounds per side.

Well, with a couple thousand miles on them, they have gotten a bit deeper and a bit louder. Have not notices any "drone" tones at highway speeds - actually they are quite mellow once you get cruising and back off the throttle. The main difference I have noticed since new is that they are certainly louder when you are revving up in the lower gears ... not that I'd ever do anything hooligan like that

Hope this helps,
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 376
How are the mufflers holding up?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Tomah OP
Riding the Northeast

Thumb Still happy with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
How are the mufflers holding up?
I have roughly 8K miles on them.

Tone and Volume:
They have gotten a bit louder, a bit deeper and the note is less "sharp" or I guess you'd say less "brappy" than when new. The change in tone and volume has been very gradual. I am about to order a re-pack but have not opened them up to see how the fiber packing is holding up

Fit and Finish:
Still look like new

Value:
Best $289 upgrade I have found yet

Conclusion:
They sound cool. Still much quieter than the Harley's around town, no complaints from my neighbors, no nasty stares when riding through these quaint New England towns ... lighter and much cooler running than stock ... can go at least 8K miles between repacks ... not the greatest graphics but holding up well. I'm pretty happy with them.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah View Post
I have roughly 8K miles on them.

Tone and Volume:
They have gotten a bit louder, a bit deeper and the note is less "sharp" or I guess you'd say less "brappy" than when new. The change in tone and volume has been very gradual. I am about to order a re-pack but have not opened them up to see how the fiber packing is holding up

Fit and Finish:
Still look like new

Value:
Best $289 upgrade I have found yet

Conclusion:
They sound cool. Still much quieter than the Harley's around town, no complaints from my neighbors, no nasty stares when riding through these quaint New England towns ... lighter and much cooler running than stock ... can go at least 8K miles between repacks ... not the greatest graphics but holding up well. I'm pretty happy with them.

I have had the same great experience as you!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote