User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Sidestand switch

I somehow managed to break my side stand switch, which at $126 a pop, is a bit annoying. The little locknut was spinning 'round on the threads of the bolt, but that was nothing new, so I didn't think I'd broken the switch. But when the bike ran poorly (intermittent connection), it turned out that I did.

Anyone else break it by over tightening?

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Similar issue.

When I lengthened my side stand and refitted it, the nut just kept spinning. I stopped as soon as I realised it wasn't tightening.

So far it works.

When it stops I'll have to figure out how to remove it and rewire the sensor to run without.

Anyone know how to bypass it? Obviously any advices comes with a disclaimer.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
jeff34
aventurier français

Oddometer: 19
my switch broke into a quagmire
I have connected the white and red all son
and the brown wire to ground
jeff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Just connect red and white. Brown can be left alone, no need to do anything on that. It worked fine for me for few months and then I desided that enough scary moments and installed new one. It really is a safety device. Though the original lenght side stand is not the worst one to throw you and the bike to the orbit.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olvi View Post
Just connect red and white. Brown can be left alone, no need to do anything on that. It worked fine for me for few months and then I desided that enough scary moments and installed new one. It really is a safety device. Though the original lenght side stand is not the worst one to throw you and the bike to the orbit.
When you installed the new one did you have any issues with the canbus throwing any codes? I'm about to replace mine
Old 07-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Olvi
Ice Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
When you installed the new one did you have any issues with the canbus throwing any codes? I'm about to replace mine
No, nothing. The only pain in the ass was to play with the cable ties (at least the one behind the connector).

As far as I know this device is just a stupid potentiometer with no brains what so ever.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
It figures! The torque spec for that little nut is only 5nm!

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 12:06 PM Reason: changed link to image
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Mine went bad so I just tied the red/white and left the brown to float. I don't think I will ever replace it, although maybe I will have a scary kick stand down moment and recant that opinion.
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Olvi
Ice Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
... although maybe I will have a scary kick stand down moment and recant that opinion.
You will.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
It figures! The torque spec for that little nut is only 5nm!

D'OH!

That figures then.

I had to lengthen my sidestand, after all the suspension upgrades, by about 50mm. Stands nice now, and I put a bigger foot on the bottom.

I was at a service station and a guy with a truck was waiting to fuel up when I finished, so I pushed the bike forward to allow him space to move to the pump. They build like a speed hump all the way around the pumps at some servos here to contain spills and run off....so side stand hits the hump and levers the bike away from me unexpectedly...I try to hang on and go down with it.

While I'm standing there about to explode with rage a passing local bogan scrag (female redneck) says "Havin a shit run o' luck today...aint ya".....oh...no...you...didn't...

What I said next was not worthy of print here...suffice to say that 5 years in a Dockyard, 8 years in an infantry rifle section, 18 years in construction, countless years in seedy bars and a lot of years growing up in some very bad areas (referred to locally as "the Hood") contributed to the language, rants, threats and tirade that ensued. If I'd been armed I'd be doing 15 to life about now. (I may have some minor anger issues)

The scrag made a beeline for her car, the truck driver got back in his truck and I left the BumW laying on it's side blocking the truck in, and went and paid for my petrol, eventually leaving the driveway on the back wheel.

It's not the switch that's the issue. It's the angle the stand locks at. I've learned the hard way to walk the bike while on the opposite side to the stand when moving it manually.

BumW take something as simple as a sidestand and turn it into a device that over complicates things and attempts to kill you for no good reason....so then it needs a safety switch.

But in hindsight it's piss funny....
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
D'OH!

That figures then.

I had to lengthen my sidestand, after all the suspension upgrades, by about 50mm. Stands nice now, and I put a bigger foot on the bottom.

BumW take something as simple as a sidestand and turn it into a device that over complicates things and attempts to kill you for no good reason....so then it needs a safety switch.

But in hindsight it's piss funny....

Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
Stands at the same angle as standard, due to the increase in height. Increase. To make larger or longer.

Or did they stop teaching comprehension over there?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Stands at the same angle as standard, due to the increase in height. Increase. To make larger or longer.

Or did they stop teaching comprehension over there?

It sounded like you changed something to make the stand act differently.

I always thought the switch was required by the Goverment safety people that try to make everything harmless.

there is a sidestand switch on most?? new bikes. and it's very common for people to disable it. It's one of the many "no cost improvements" done to KLR's when ridden off road.

I don't get blameing BMW for putting a devise to kill the motor with the side stand down IF ITS IN GEAR, You disabling it,and then forgetting to put your bike in Neutral and having an OH SHIT moment.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, but the design of the stand, locking so far forward, means that if it does dig in, it throws the bike to the right past centre.

Over the years with the bikes I've had, some could be ridden away from a standing start with the side stand down, and the first left turn would flick the stand up and you'd barely know it. They used to have that little rubber do-hickey on them for just that.

On the BMW, if the switch were disabled and that happened, it'd throw you far enough to put you under another vehicle.

Which makes the side stand switch almost a life and death necessity. When it doesn't need to be.

Over designed. Over complex. You couldn't deliberately design something to fail and make it work as poorly as BMW do.

They have a knack for it.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Intermittent failure to start

My bike recently developed an odd problem - it occasionally fails to start when I press the button. Lights are on and bright, cockpit displays all on, sidestand up, in neutral, clutch in. Press the starter and nada. Zippo. Wait a sec press again and it starts. A few times it took a couple of minutes before it would respond to the button and fire up.

Could this be related to the sidestand switch? Any other ideas before I pull the switch housing apart?