Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
My experience with BMWs began back in the 70s when I used to service them and ended in the early 80s They were off my radar until I bought a new 2010 f800gs.
Their side stands on the air-heads back then were spring loaded so if you took the weight off it would immediately retract.
I guess it was their idea of a safety feature. However, they were very easy to push off the side stand whereupon the bike would fall over. So nobody used to use the side-stands, ever. The default, even for brief stops, was the centre stand. Which was nicely balanced and easy to use.

So 30 years later I finally buy myself a BMW and find it's all changed! The side stand is much improved, but still doesn't lock down under pressure like the HDs and the centre stand is so forward biased that it's relatively easy to push the bike off it if you're not careful. Good idea to use a tie-down to keep it from folding back if you're working on the bike on the center stand.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Clearly they went from one extreme to the other then.

As for not starting and then coming good, the unfortunate thing with the CANBUS system is that it is hard to diagnose without having a code reader. The nature of the system is that an intermittent fault may not present with directly attributable symptoms.

You would have to bypass the sidestand switch altogether and have a number of fault free starts before you could "assume" you'd identified the issue.

Refusing to start like you described is similar to what mine does when the gear position indicator switch gets wet.

So far it's only happened when I've been running late for appointments or for work.

The easiest way to solve the starting issue is to take it to the dealers and hope it plays up while you're there. I have had some experience with vehicles at dealers with intermittent faults. It's frustrating beyond description. When you hand over a couple of hundred dollars and hear "if it doesn't do it while we have the code reader on it there's nothing we can do".

It depends on the level of fault logging in the CPU.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
To Snowy

I object to your use of foul language. To wit:

"Take it to the dealer".

Shoot me now. Of course my warranty & roadside assistance just ran out. I'm planning a three week trip for September, part of the GDR and then Forever West route, so it would be nice not to feel like I'm rolling the dice every time I press the starter. Worth talking to them about it I guess.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #19
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I had the sidestand off again today and discovered that the issue is that the section of the bolt that passes through the switch doesn't have a long enough thread. The nut has been screwed on until it ran out of thread. This chewed the thread out of the nut.

So I have a temporary fix in place with substitute nut and locktite and a couple of washers.

I seems strange. The switch mechanism is narrower than the plain section of shaft it mounts on. So it is quite loose when mounted properly.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #20
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
The nut has been screwed on until it ran out of thread. This chewed the thread out of the nut.
Just the nut? Lucky you. I stripped the thread off the pricier bolt.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The bolt is damaged at the shoulder end of the thread, but still serviceable with a new nut and an extra washer on it.

It's a real fiddly "airy fairy" design (my English teacher used to write "Airy Fairy" on my essays - apparently it means "crap").
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
My bike recently developed an odd problem - it occasionally fails to start when I press the button. Lights are on and bright, cockpit displays all on, sidestand up, in neutral, clutch in. Press the starter and nada. Zippo. Wait a sec press again and it starts. A few times it took a couple of minutes before it would respond to the button and fire up.

Could this be related to the sidestand switch? Any other ideas before I pull the switch housing apart?
I doubt. I would bet on key detector ring - the ring around the lock. Known to fail. I have always a spare one at the bike.

When you turn the key to ignition (put power on), key is not yet detected. After you press the starter it will check the key to be right for the bike and lets the bike to start. If it doesn't detect the key, the bike will not start - but everything else will work.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
FredRydr OP

Now that I have a new switch, I've kept the bad switch for an autopsy to see if it can be fixed.

Fred
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #24
FredRydr OP

Fyi

Amy's Euro Garage on eBay has a brand new switch for only $70. It is listed for an RT, but the part number is the same as an F800GS on the BMW fiche if it's for a 2010+ RT. You'd have to ask. Part No. 61 31 7 654 603

Fred
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I am curious if this could be a side stand switch issue.... and would you'll try by passing it or is there a remedy to the problem... or is it not even related to side stand switch?

My bike stalls on me while riding down the road and it is not consistent... the bike will lose power... gain power.. lose power gain power and than it will eventually die... if I am lucky I can restart the bike while coasting on the shoulder of the road... and other times I may not. I can kick the side stand... I can put it down and put it back up... sometimes the bike will start again... sometimes if not.. I will jiggle the clutch switch wire and the bike will start. I just finished taking a trip... and my bike gave me multiple problems on the trip... it will lose power.. gain power.. lose power.. and die.... it happens on a smooth road.. and it happens on a rough road... and one time it would happen when I shifted...

Anyone know if the symptoms above sounds like the side stand switch? Or could it be another problem or a problem with the side stand switch?

It seems like if I put the side stand up lightly... the bike won't start too or it will die when you try putting it in gear from neutral.

I have even had the bike just automatically stall when I go to shift in between gears with no warning...

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks.
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #26
FredRydr OP

Bypass the switch and see if your problem stops.

Fred
Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Bypass the switch and see if your problem stops.

Fred
Connect red to white and leave brown alone won't mess with the Canbus system?
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote