n00b

Oddometer: 4
But really, I am sorry to see that.
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Im liking the pre-retirement retirement idea,many people have seen their retirements go up in smoke with our new "jobless" recovery. Its best to get out and do it while you can,what ever it may be just go!

I quit my home remodel business back in 08,before it had the chance to quit me.
Started a home based online sales thing and now theres too much sparetime,maybe not the most secure thing in the world but I am beholden to no one and can turn the business off with the punch of 2 buttons.

Looks like a great trip you've got going.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Ghostrider:

thank you for your photos. A few years ago we flew into LV and drove our rental car on the "Grand Tour" which is a loop of many National Parks which included Bryce and we were at Inspiration Point, but in Winter just after a snow storm. We also drove the Escalante through two snow storms from Hanksville.

That trip we also went to the Grand Canyon, up to Moab to Arches and Canyonlands.

you are bringing back good memories, but I want to ride my bike down there "next time"

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
FES
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Subscribed!

This is gunna be a good one, I feel it!
FES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
In!

Hope your $$ lasts a long time so this ride report can do at least the lower 48!
Slug.go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
I've been to Vegas twice and I never saw any of that! Guess I spent to much time in "Paris"!

Nice pics.......

"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
F*ck it, i'm in!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
Great report. Keep it coming.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #40
GhostRiderFC OP
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 320
Day Four: July 15, 2012

OK... get ready for this one!

So I wake up at the crack of 0730 and start getting ready for my day. My plan is to ride south out of Vegas, through Mojave National Preserve, then Joshua Tree National Park, then into San Diego. My buddy Mark is the Executive Chef at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort.

After getting cleaned up and packed up, I come out to the bike to find this:

Well.,. that's not going to work. I had previously had a flat on this tire and immediately find the plug location. And, yeah... that's the problem.

So, I can see the plug still in there so I'm not sure that it's exclusively the problem. On my way into Vegas the night before, I remember that I've just descended something like 5000 feet in elevation, from 7000 or so in Utah that morning, to about 2000 or so in Vegas. And it's hot. I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that results in a decrease in tire pressure. And it did feel a bit wobbly at the end last night, so... Maybe it'll just pump up?

I do air it up and it holds at 37 psi. I load up and check it again. 37 psi. Looks ok!

And then I'm off. I decide to head out to that famous "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign and on the way snapped one on the strip.

Then one at the sign. There were a considerable number of tourists doing exactly the same thing, and I wanted the bike in frame (at least a little) and them not in frame, so this is what I got:

After that, I topped off gas and rolled out of town. I just ran south on I-15 to get to Mojave and then turned on Nipton Road to get down into the park the back way. On my way, I crossed into California:

Immediately on the right, I see that Sunday's rains have left a huge lake in the flat plain on the side of the road. It's enormous.

It's a little tough to see, but was very prominent in person. But in the upper right of the photo, you can see a tower or three being built. I later learned that those are for some sort of solar energy collector, similar to what was shown in the new version of the Sahara movie. Interesting.

So, I turn off the highway on Nipton road and immediately there are signs of yesterday's flooding.

But that only lasted a short distance before you are on a road to nowhere:

I then turned a couple times and found the sign indicating that I was on the park:

About a mile down the road, I get that wicked wobble and shimmy indicative of a flat. Shit.

OK... no worries. I've been through this before. I have the tools and the technology to get this dude fixed. So, I set to work:

And in all that time of sitting out there, thirty miles from anywhere, a lot of cars whizzed by. None stopped, until this guy:

That's Ed. A deputy with San Bernardino County SO. He was really a nice guy, funny and pleasant. By the time he stopped, I had the tire just about all the way aired up. So, I finished while we were talking and it was holding a nice 37 psi as I loaded up. I do feel the need to take a minute to thank our sponsors:

I didn't have this kit the last time I got a flat and my buddy Bart did and hooked me up. I quickly went out and bought everything I needed. I previously had a kit from Cycle Gear that uses CO2 cartridges. I'm not convinced they would REALLY do it for me, but I still have it. It's small and fits in the under seat compartment on my Firebolt.

So, I get all loaded up, geared up, and I'm on the road. About a mile later, I again get the wicked shimmy and I know I'm flat again. I inspect the tire and discover that the plug I just installed is not doing the trick. I think the fact that it's an old hole and a really heavily loaded bike are working against me here.

Here's me, not being helped by passing motorists:

So, I whip out the AMA member card and get some roadside assistance. They eventually state that the tow truck will arrive within 45 minutes. I think it did take that long. I was pretty far out. And they had to call me to see exactly where I was because the dispatcher had bad intel.

While I was waiting, I took some photos. This was the best one.

Eventually, Andy from Stateline Towing arrives and gets me all loaded up:

We determine that the closest location to get things fixed up is back in Vegas. I initially commit to returning to my brother's house. It's centrally located, there are tools there in addition to my own, he left his car behind which I have no qualms about hijacking in his absence, and it's free. I have 35 free miles as part of my AMA coverage and Vegas is 60 miles away. $7/mile overage. But we're rolling...

So, as we approach Vegas, I start calling shops. I'm really not expecting much since in most of America, motorcycle shops are not open on Sundays & Mondays. I'm quickly surprised to discover that most shops are open. Apparently, seven days a week in Vegas is not uncommon. However, many do not have open service departments. And it's irrelevant. Nobody has a Pirelli Angel. And, it's actually ok because I'll just have him drop me at the house and I'll sort it out. But I keep making calls.

Eventually, I call Carter Powersports and talk to a kid in Parts who says that while they don't have any Pirellis, they do have a ton of Michelins they can hook me up with, a Pilot Power 2 or some shit. I've never used Michelins, but he says it's equivalent. And, if I buy it from them, they'll install it free while I wait. That sounds irresistible to me. So, I divert the tow truck driver to Carter Powersports.

Upon arrival, I go inside to find out where to put it, how long it's going to take, how much it costs, and the girl goes to find a manager who, without departing his office, says they can't do it. They don't have the proper wheel balancing machine for a Buell. And anyway, the tire guy is not there. WTF, over? Why did that kid tell me they could do it? I told him what I had! So, now what?

Eventually, after many calls, I discover a place called Motorcycle Tire Center. The kid there says they don't have an Angel, but they do have a Pirelli Diablo, and it's basically the same tire. The Diablo Strada came standard on my bike, so I'm thinking this is ok. He also says that if I get it there by five, it can be installed today. Since it's like 1540 or so, I think that's manageable. It's ten miles away.

And so, we're off again. However, this ten miles is in horrific traffic and it takes like 40 minutes. We get there, I help Andy unload it, and get it inside. I settle up with Andy and he tells me it's $329 for mileage over the 35.

This shop has two techs and they are both busy. I'm sort of queued up and while I'm waiting, I walk to one of the two places in walking distance: Carl's Jr. It was... fast-ish. So, I get back over there and they're making progress! The wheel is off. I had Bart text me the specific torque spec for the Uly and I make a huge production out of giving it to the guy. The last thing I need now is a crushed bearing or spacer. By about 1730 or so, Adam, the tech, gets me rolling. I was pleased.

I decided that since there was still a bunch of daylight left, and I was set to meet Mark in San Diego, and it was only 329 miles away, I was going to do it. I got into Iron Butt mode and rolled out of Vegas down I-15 only stopping for gas and made it to Mark's around 2300 or so. As you can see, there are no photos of the event. I was in a hurry and there were not photo worthy moments. Sorry.

Today, I got up and took this photo in front of the house:

Mark has an '04 R1150R Rockster. He's pretty quick with it for a man of advanced years. I went to the hotel today for lunch and while Mark doesn't have a window in his office, this is the view from his loading dock:

Pretty darn nice! Thanks for hosting, Mark!!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #41
GhostRiderFC OP
Just a guy who rides

Thanks, Everyone!!

Hey all... thanks for the great feedback. I'm really having a good time and am enjoying the ride reporting, too. Looking forward to keeping it up, if not daily, then at least every other day.

Hope to see some of you on the road!

My Spotwalla
Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #42
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
Its not an adventure unless you have to plug as least one flat. You are way ahead of the game.

How do you like the new side cases over the Hepco and Becker's that came with the bike? I looked at another X last night. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a Ulysses, but I have an XT to look at this weekend. I have narrowed it down to two plus the XT, and I am getting anxious to finally buy.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #43
GhostRiderFC OP
Just a guy who rides

Cases

Well, in my opinion, the stock cases are nice. They're not always 100% waterproof, but they do very well. They're easy to get on and off, and I have the inside soft bags that fit perfectly inside them, so it's easy to get stuff in and out. And they're slightly more aerodynamic.

The new boxes are also good. They are 100% waterproof and are relatively easy to get in and out of. They're harder to get on and off, I think, but it's not impossible. They are less aerodynamic and I'm seeing that in my fuel mileage. And my inside bags for the old boxes don't fit in them, so it's sort of inconvenient loading and unloading them. I've got a lot of soft stuff sacks and things like that to fill them up and keep things together.

I'm enjoying the Uly. I turned 20K miles Monday and it's humming right along. I think you'll like it. It fits me well because I have long legs, it's sporty, it hauls a lot of shit, it looks... different. I like it.

My Spotwalla
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
good stuff so far! except for the gouging by the tow......yes we mean YOU AMA tow guy!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #45
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Very entertaining, I too wish I hadn't discovered this RR so early in it's life. I'm impatient for more,

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote