Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 202
Appreciate the feedback.

Hey people, thanks for the input.

To clarify for some, this was for the Adventure model, not the standard GS. The GSA tank does not move back without removing the breather pipe.

It seems there is the choice to either move the tank or move the beak, or jdubs way (double joint fingers!!! ) I chose to remove the tank.

Removing the tank is only about a 10 minute job. Once safely out the way working on the front shock is so much easier, as is moving the bike around. I speak from my own experience when I say removing the tank is one of those daunting jobs that seems harder than it is, and so people are less inclined to attempt it.

As stated vaguely in the Intro, experience has taught me I often save time going the longer route. 'Short cuts' have a habit of being time consuming in their own way, trying to squeeze in to turn the screw or nut, scraping knuckles, dropping spanners in small spaces. I have done and seen it all in my time.

My main consideration was getting a good description for the tank removal that others have requested. Having the shocks to replace gave me incentive to do so. Advrider has given me so much, I like to give back.

Regards Julian

The Other JC screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 06:24 AM Reason: spleling
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Good write up, and well done.

As for the ADV tank, it can be done either way. Moving it back is not hard with just disconnecting a couple hoses. You do not need to remove (and I would not recommend removing) the top cover on the tank. You run the risk of dropping stuff (the rubber spacers particularly) into the tank.

Otherwise very well done.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Loggiebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
When I switched the front shock on my 2007 GSA, I was able to reach the upper mount for the Front Shock without removing the tank.

Me too! 08 GSA. Used a deep well 17mm socket and a swivel and bingo...

Even if you want to get better access you don't have to remove the tank but just slide it back enough for clearer access.
Loggiebone is offline   Reply With Quote