User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #46
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 412
Gear

Basically I have all gear to survive in the woods for a year, tools and tubes. I have bed braker and all tools for flat tires. Basic repair tools and flash lights. I dont mine carrying dobles but if you have some item you want to leave home and use mine I be happy to share it (except sleeping bag) I need to buy some JB welds and gorilla tape (I cant go out of the house without gorilla tape) This tape saved my "rear" couple of times, highly recommended!!! Also I will be using my winter bag witch is this bad boy http://www.rei.com/product/836215/si...n-sleeping-bag

AtlasExp screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:50 AM
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #47
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Nice setup, I'm liking the front rack in front of the headlight, I'd love to do the same but my fender comes right underneath the light unlike yours.

Given your tools I'll probably bring all my gear in case but leave some in the car. I don't think 8gv will be leaving without weld and gorilla and I've also ordered some so I'd say don't bother buying any.

Do you have an axe or saw? If not I'll get a small hatchet.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #48
AtlasExp
beer me

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Nice setup, I'm liking the front rack in front of the headlight, I'd love to do the same but my fender comes right underneath the light unlike yours.

Given your tools I'll probably bring all my gear in case but leave some in the car. I don't think 8gv will be leaving without weld and gorilla and I've also ordered some so I'd say don't bother buying any.

Do you have an axe or saw? If not I'll get a small hatchet.
If we need to hide dead bodies I have this Swiss Army Shovel WW2
Also I do have small folding saw and small axe so dont worry about that!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #49
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Soooooo...

Are we riding on trails or just clearing our own?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #50
devo2002 OP
-Devo

I think we will be sticking to existing trails, unless anyone is up for it. JK, I'm a believer of leaving as little impact as possible. But, if the delorme paper maps are accurate then in some areas there aren't too many options, I'd hate to turn around because of a log.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #51
AtlasExp
beer me

We not going to turn around!

There r no turning back!!!! I am taking my chain saw.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #52
AtlasExp
beer me

off topic.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659820 Just to kill some of your time before we go.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #53
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Are you hiring landrover to tail us?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #54
AtlasExp
beer me

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Are you hiring landrover to tail us?
Just kidding ! No chain saw this time.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #55
Gordon Gilbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
bike choice.

Would I be a fool to believe a dr650 would not be a decent fit? Are we talking logging and fire roads or making new trails? I have a dr650 with shinko 705s, but i also have a plated rmx 250, gasgas 250, and an older husky 510 (not sure how reliable, no problems yet but its 22 years old). And a pig gs1100 (no way in hell i would ride this) My weapon of choice would be the dr because of roadability, and actually has a weight bearing rear subframe for gear. but it ain't light and has dual sport tires on it. The rmx and gasgas are two smokers so mileage and offending others could be an issue. Anyone done any of this area to comment?

Thanks
Gordon Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #56
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gilbert View Post
Would I be a fool to believe a dr650 would not be a decent fit? Are we talking logging and fire roads or making new trails? I have a dr650 with shinko 705s, but i also have a plated rmx 250, gasgas 250, and an older husky 510 (not sure how reliable, no problems yet but its 22 years old). And a pig gs1100 (no way in hell i would ride this) My weapon of choice would be the dr because of roadability, and actually has a weight bearing rear subframe for gear. but it ain't light and has dual sport tires on it. The rmx and gasgas are two smokers so mileage and offending others could be an issue. Anyone done any of this area to comment?

Thanks
I haven't seen a single mile of this but I say bring the 650. Devo can tell you who's coming better than me but I sense we have a very diverse group of bikes. It's called adventure riding because sometimes you don't know what the adventure will be untill your in the thick of it. Plus, you could let me try your 650 as that is likely to be the next bike I buy. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #57
devo2002 OP
-Devo

The trip was plotted by Canuman on a klr650, like you he also has woods bikes so maybe? It sounds like mostly gravel and dirt with pavement as well, but the plan is to do some detours on god knows what so I'd say it depends on your dr650 pig skills? I've not done one inch of the route so I don't really know. I'd peruse the trail thread from my first post to find all the info. You are welcome to join, let us know
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #58
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

I tried loading the various files. So far I have Summit to Forks, Canaan Eustis Alt and Forks to Houlton. These work for my Garmin software. Summit to Forks Alt will not work for me. It seems to require loading a whole map rather than the tracks/waypoints only. After the warning that it may take a few hours to load it, I bailed. I'll post over on the thread Canuman started and see if he can fix it for us.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #59
AtlasExp
beer me

Devo I guess we both was looking for each other I you can see by my tread where I was looking for people and places to ride! Thanks ADV God for this!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #60
AtlasExp
beer me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I tried loading the various files. So far I have Summit to Forks, Canaan Eustis Alt and Forks to Houlton. These work for my Garmin software. Summit to Forks Alt will not work for me. It seems to require loading a whole map rather than the tracks/waypoints only. After the warning that it may take a few hours to load it, I bailed. I'll post over on the thread Canuman started and see if he can fix it for us.
I am also playing with my new garmin montana and for me is really no luck! 8gv if you get corrected files can you post it somewhere? I will try to load them on mine gps. So far I have most advance gps and I dont know how to use it!!!