User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
FlatDarkGS OP
Master BS'er

Oddometer: 160
1off motorsports no more?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But I think I might have been one of the last to receive 1off's HID conversion kit. I went to their Website yesterday looking for instructions on the kit, and found:

"Thank you!
We appreciate everything our family, friends, customers, vendors, have done for us and look forward to the next step in our lives.1 OFF Motorsports wants to thank all of our customers for the past 5 years for all of your business, support and friendship. It has been an amazing opportunity and a wild ride but unfortunately it is time for us to move on from this venture.
1 Off Motorsports wants to thank all of our customers for the past 5 years for all of your business, support and friendship. It has been an amazing opportunity and a wild ride but unfortunately recent circumstances out of our control has forced us to no longer be able to operate.

We appreciate everything our family, friends, customers, vendors, have done for us and look forward to the next step in our lives."

Anybody know anything different?
FlatDarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Well that sucks. They seemed to sell good quality products. Sierra BMW still lists their HID units on their web site.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
So much for the "lifetime warranty" that was big part of their claim to fame....

__
Mikko
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
skybo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
these were good people that treated me right- sorry to hear this

skybo1 screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 07:01 PM Reason: first comment was self absorbed
skybo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447

Gosh, I hate that! I'm using their products and have had great luck with them. When I rode from NC to CA back in February, I stopped by their offices and met Chris. He showed me around and eveng gave me a spare HID bulb for the tool kit. I'm sorry for him, Jose' and Zack. This shitty economy is just killing all of us.

Vote carefully in November.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,480
Well that certainly sucks. . ..
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Gosh, I hate that! I'm using their products and have had great luck with them. When I rode from NC to CA back in February, I stopped by their offices and met Chris. He showed me around and eveng gave me a spare HID bulb for the tool kit. I'm sorry for him, Jose' and Zack. This shitty economy is just killing all of us.

Vote carefully in November.

Mike
Lower priced competition is probably more of an issue. Who can buy greater wholesale quantities? Check Alibaba.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Das Boot
down periscope

Oddometer: 188
That sucks. I have their 35watt/4300 kit in the bike for the past year and love the light. It's tough out there to hussle a buck and stay in business.
Das Boot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,041
Eh? Too bad

WOW,
Sorry to hear that they are no longer in business. They are a great bunch of guy's to deal with. It's a tough market place with a lot of vendors out on the net and with the economy taking a dump it's only going to get tougher.
I wish them well on the new venture..

Thanks for the 5 years of service to all us ADV riders.
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Lower priced competition is probably more of an issue. Who can buy greater wholesale quantities? Check Alibaba.
No doubt about it, Anorak. I'm at the tail end of my career as a furniture manufacturer in NC. Back in the mid-1990s, I attended a seminar conducted by some Department of Commerce employees about how to do business in China. They had all kinds of information, pie graphs etc, about how we could make a fortune saving on labor because, at that time, it was about 50 a day. Naturally, I recognized the value but when they started talking about how to sell in China, a little voice in my head cried BS. How's a guy making 50 a day going to afford one of my products?

To date, I've laid off over 120 souls and fear I'll fail within the next year if something doesn't turn around. Stuff like that keeps me awake while Washington tells us "The private sector is fine."

These days, many of usl know the rest of that story.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
The private sector is fine for the Romneys of the world - oh wait, he's a politician. Sorry to see 1off is history.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
No doubt about it, Anorak. I'm at the tail end of my career as a furniture manufacturer in NC. Back in the mid-1990s, I attended a seminar conducted by some Department of Commerce employees about how to do business in China. They had all kinds of information, pie graphs etc, about how we could make a fortune saving on labor because, at that time, it was about 50 a day. Naturally, I recognized the value but when they started talking about how to sell in China, a little voice in my head cried BS. How's a guy making 50 a day going to afford one of my products?

To date, I've laid off over 120 souls and fear I'll fail within the next year if something doesn't turn around. Stuff like that keeps me awake while Washington tells us "The private sector is fine."

These days, many of usl know the rest of that story.

Mike
I don't think that's the case here. It looks like hid conversion kits have always come out of China. The game goes to the importer who has the lowest retail price or possibly has some sort of added value.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
The private sector is fine for the Romneys of the world - oh wait, he's a politician. Sorry to see 1off is history.
At about :20 ff:

NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
There's a CSM for that, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I don't think that's the case here. It looks like hid conversion kits have always come out of China. The game goes to the importer who has the lowest retail price or possibly has some sort of added value.
Good customer service and reliable products are added value...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
I'm guessing shut down by Customs/DOT...I had read previously that some of their shipments from China had been blocked by Customs because aftermarket HID lights are not US legal.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote