User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
rhys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
"The Tire Plugger" kit, trustworthy?

Riders here at ADVenture are THE authority in anything motorcycle; so I come to you and ask of your knowledge, experience, and unbiased opinions.

Cutting to the chase,
I just plugged my brand new Mich' Pilot Road (less than 800 miles) with the mushroom rubber plug provided in the above mentioned tire plug kit. I've used these plugs with repeated success on the Roadster, the Mazda, and now on the Triumph's rear Pilot. Center tread, very tiny hole, lots of rubber for the plug to grip to.....

Can anybody cite to me ANY instances where any kind of plug has failed them on either a car tire or motorcycle tire. Yeah, yeah, I know we have only two contact patches on a motorcycle, as opposed to four on a car, etc. but what of it? I want to hear about any REAL LIFE episodes that YOU personally know of plugs having failed.

I'm a poor guy who used his credit card to buy these tires. I can not afford a recreational vehicle of ANY sort, let alone a motorcycle that I tend to put 25,000 miles a year on (or more)! If I were a rich man, I'd replace the tire without batting an eye..... I can't, I'm in trouble financially as it is.

What do you KNOW in the way of where a plug might be prohibitive, permissible, out of the question, or "NO WORRIES MATE!"

Anybody?

Thanks in advance,
- Pat -
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
tire repair

I had a 1200 Bandit a few years ago. After about 3000 miles, I took a nail in the rear tire. It still had good tread on it, but I listened to the voices on the internet and replaced it with a new tire. Guess what, 300 miles later a nail in the new tire. So I plugged it with a stop and go mushroom style plug. Also, I went to the dealer to retrieve my other tire. It was gone. They put it out back in pile of old tires, but someone must have pick it up.

The plug leaked a little and the tire would have to aire every couple weeks. To stop the leak, I put some tire sealant in the tire and didn't hav another problem with it until I traded the bike.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
I had four or five plug failures in a row with the Stop-n-go plugger on the same hole. The rubber plugs can get cut by the tire cords. I plugged the hole with the string type and it lasted another 3000 miles.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Hey, Pat. Long time no hear. Are you happy with the Truimph? Looks niiiiiice.

I have used the string type quite successfully for myself and also on other people's bikes with no issues.

There is a mushroom type that you have to remove the tire, insert the stem through the hole, glue the head to the inside of the tire and then cut off the portion protruding on the outside. Why not temporarily use the string, or plugger and then make a more permanent fix using some other method?

Those photos of you plugging the tire are great, why not post them here as well.
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
I had four or five plug failures in a row with the Stop-n-go plugger on the same hole. The rubber plugs can get cut by the tire cords. I plugged the hole with the string type and it lasted another 3000 miles.
Exact same thing that happened to me. I now use string plugs with great results.
Only thing the Stop-n-Go worked on for me was low pressure ATV tires with no steel belts. YMMV
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #6
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
these:

are what I think Sam Buca is talking about - 'inside-out' plug-patches. I bought a bunch of these, without buying the whole kit, by contacting Stop n Go directly; think it cost me about $3.00 apiece so I stocked up and got about 8 of 'em; so they're well within the means of a guy without alot of cash. I had a new Tourance rear tire get holed with only 300 miles on it, so I took the tire off and put one of these in, and rode it until the tire was toast at around 12,000 miles, 6,000 of which was two-up and loaded, cross-country. I've since used 3 or 4 more of these (may be time to stock up!) due to my seriously bad new-tire karma, and not once has any of them given me a problem - they last the life of the tire. The patch is pushed out from the inside, so the air pressure is working in your favor to hold it there, not perpetually pushing it out like a plug you put on from outside; the little rubber stem keeps sharp grains of sand and crud from getting in under the patch and abrading a hole. I would say these definitely qualify under you 'No worries, Mate' category.

Granted you have to pull the tire off the rim to get them in - but if you're on a tight budget in this sport, you already oughta have tire tools - if not then get some, they'll pay for themselves first time you use them. 3 good levers and some kind of bead breaker is all you need.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand

Gringo screwed with this post 05-24-2005 at 08:10 AM
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
these:

are what I think Sam Buca is talking about - 'inside-out' plug-patches. .
Yip, thats them. They are also available art Pep Boys for next to nothing. They are vulcanized / glued to the inside of the tire. Some has a thicker stem to fill a hole that is a little larger.
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Is that the string plugs in the picture on the right side?
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Same here, 3 failures on the same hole with the Tire Plugger. The BMW patch held for a few 1,000 miles, I then replaced the tire.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,986
Used a cheapo Walmart tire plug on my Virago 750 and a while back and rode for several thousand miles on it w/out troublw.

Recently had to use my BMW plug kit on a brand new Conti TKC-80. Still running the same tire after quite a few mile of hard Colorado off road and havent had a problem. Haven't even had to adjust the tire pressure.

My 2 cents: plug the tire and just keep a close eye on the patch. Visualy inspect it before each ride and spot check your tire pressure more often than usual. You should be OK.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,194
I've used BMW plugs once, and it worked for that 400 mile day, but started leaking after about a week.
Stop-N-Go plugs are ONLY TEMPORARY.

Patch your tires from the inside, and you'll nothing to worry about. Vulcanizing patches "weld" themselves to the tire.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
I've always had good luck with Victor string plugs. Sometimes the hole develops a slow leak and has to be plugged again. No big deal, especially if you carry an air compressor. I did have one larger than usual hole that kept leaking. Stop and Go plugs are supposed to be better for larger holes, so I bought a pocket plugger and keep both kits in the saddlebag. I always run my tires until they are worn out, even if they have been plugged.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I don't understand what benefit the plug-in-go offers.

String style pugs, as most people here refer to them, have been bringing travelers home for many years.

I've had a nail in my rear for 'some' period of time...dunno how long....and I've left it there. A finishing nail...not big....isn't leaking. I'll see if it goes the distance...another 6k or so.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
rhys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Fascinating to say the least! This is what I gather from reading the above posted replies:

String plugs seem to hold up better (with no guarantee) to the abrasion of either external particulate, or internal steel belted cords; but they may be prone to leaking air.

Between this site and two others, I have not received word yet of a "blow out." No horror stories yet of leaning her over in a 100 mph corner and blowing a plug.....

Plug-patches, readily available at auto parts stores, can be had that "vulcanize" to the rubber of the tire..... from the inside out, where it counts.

I plan to do another Track Day next month on some 014's sitting in my dining room. I will continue to ride AND INSPECT my plug/air pressure until such time as I take the tires off to be switched with the Bridgestones. When the rear tire is off, I will inspect the plug from the inside with the help of trained eyes, and consider vulcanizing the above spoken of plug from the inside out.
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #15
Colt03
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I seem to recall a tire failure on an Iron Butt Rally in 03. The tire was plugged and it ended up being shredded, maybe some of the IB riders can chime in.

YMMV
2004 R1150GS
Yankee Beemers
IBMWR
Colt03 is offline   Reply With Quote