Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,457
anyone have any experience with Safety Seal?

These guys were highly recommended on another list. Seems they are reasonably durable, recommended by expeditionexchange.com.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #17
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Fascinating to say the least! This is what I gather from reading the above posted replies:

String plugs seem to hold up better (with no guarantee) to the abrasion of either external particulate, or internal steel belted cords; but they may be prone to leaking air.

Between this site and two others, I have not received word yet of a "blow out." No horror stories yet of leaning her over in a 100 mph corner and blowing a plug.....

Plug-patches, readily available at auto parts stores, can be had that "vulcanize" to the rubber of the tire..... from the inside out, where it counts.

I plan to do another Track Day next month on some 014's sitting in my dining room. I will continue to ride AND INSPECT my plug/air pressure until such time as I take the tires off to be switched with the Bridgestones. When the rear tire is off, I will inspect the plug from the inside with the help of trained eyes, and consider vulcanizing the above spoken of plug from the inside out.

Nothing (short of full replacement) beats a patch. The only permanent fix is the patch. I wouldn't do a track day with a plugged tire- too many high stress occasions to endure. I'd have to think that if it was mentioned during your tech inspection they'd stop you.
If you're going to be inspecting the plug from the inside, just patch it while you have your head in there.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #18
tbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Tahrs with Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I've always had good luck with Victor string plugs. Sometimes the hole develops a slow leak and has to be plugged again. No big deal, especially if you carry an air compressor. I did have one larger than usual hole that kept leaking. Stop and Go plugs are supposed to be better for larger holes, so I bought a pocket plugger and keep both kits in the saddlebag. I always run my tires until they are worn out, even if they have been plugged.
I got back from the Georgia Mtn. Rally a couple weeks ago. While at the rally, I ran over someone's fairly large allen wrench. The whole wrench went into the tire long way first. One corner of the small end was sticking out of the tire. I repaired it just well enough with a Stop & Go and it got me 20 miles back from a restaurant to the motel. I only had my Stop & Go kit and had no idea how to repair a tire using string plugs. I'd spent most of the night scanning yellow pages and asking where the bike shops were thinking I'd need a new tire to get home.

In the morning, tire was flat. No surprise. The hole was really large and at a 45 degree angle or so, but was not on the sidewall. Dr. Curve was sipping coffee at the motel in the morning and offered to patch up my tire. He used 3 thick strings doubled up and soaked with rubber cement. He then turned the tire til the hole was in the the bottommost position so the glue would "puddle" in the hole before it dried. When the glue was completely dried, we trimmed the strings down to the tire surface.

This repair got me all the way back to Chicago. I checked air pressure every hundred miles at first, but it stayed constant. I increased the interval to every gas stop. Got all the way back to Chicago without adding a pound. When I washed the bike, however, really tiny bubbles could be seen at several places around the patch. I waited two more days and checked air...same pressure. The leak apparently was really,really small.

I've heard since that a better way to trim the strings is to cut them down to a half inch from the tire and then light them. The melting burning goo seals the last of the tiny pinhole leaks.

I've decided to retire my Stop and Go in favor of the string plug system. Takes far less space and makes a better repair. You can buy these at most truck stops.

I've just replaced the nearly new tire, but I think I could have enhanced my repair a bit with a lighter and used that tire for a long time.

I also carry a small "bike compressor" made from a discount store 12V compressor that cost $19. I removed the case to save (a lot of) space and tied off the little hose leading to the worthless pressure gage by doubling it over and cinching it with a couple tie-wraps.

Saftey Warning: Don't hold one of these in your hand while it's running. If the gears don't eat your fingers, the heat generated by the pump will burn them.

A BMW-to-car-lighter adapter completes the package. The thing fits in one of those airline pouches they give away in business class. A good alternative to that would be a small stuff sack from a camp store.

I've got a great tire gage...digital and doesn't cause the tire to loose air when you check pressure. I purchased it from a bicycle shop and bought another one next time I was in a place that had them. It's very accurate. Both these gages agree with my other digital gage that is accurate but has a poor seal around the stem. You have to get it on perfectly straight or you loose air. I hate having to get the compressor out just to fill the air I lost checking pressure. Over the years, I've used a lot of different gages. These digital bicycle gages are the best.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #19
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,578
I've got the stop-n-go, the string plugs and the weird BMW "gummy bear" plugs that came with the bike. I haven't had to use any of them yet, but I keep on collecting tire plugging kits like voodoo dolls or something. That reminds me, it's time to get a new plug kit. It's the only way to keep the gods at bay.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #20
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
I've got the stop-n-go, the string plugs and the weird BMW "gummy bear" plugs that came with the bike. I haven't had to use any of them yet, but I keep on collecting tire plugging kits like voodoo dolls or something. That reminds me, it's time to get a new plug kit. It's the only way to keep the gods at bay.
The gummy bear plugs only seem to work on big holes. They just slice in half if you try to cram one into a small nail hole, from my experience.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #21
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,482
Aaah Mr Rhys!

Keep us all posted - be interesting to see how it holds up...

When my plug went it was pretty rapid - but I was only going about 60 mph at the time.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:25 AM   #22
rhys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Oi!

Bob, you got a great group of guys here! I'm getting hard facts, alternatives, and an edumacation all in one sweep!

I think one of the above posters didn't quite understand that I certainly plan NOT to use my patched Sport Touring on the Track....., that's why I've got the Bridgestone soft compound 014's.

It looks like the "Stop-n-Go" is made by the same folk who made my "Tire Plugger" kit, just more intensive in performing the repair from the inside out. I'll be curious to see what my mushroomed plug looks like on the inside of the tire. When we inspected the plug I put on the Mazda's tire, the damn thing looked like it WAS INDEED vulcanized to the tire????? It was flattened, and no edge anywhere to grab and remove it!!! It seemed to be one-with the tire's rubber.

Thus the question:
Obviously the plug will not be totally flush with the interior surface of the tire. Would y'all advise that I remove it and replace with something like the inside-out Stop-n-Go, or attempt to put a patch over the plug that's already in place?

I hate to admit it in public, but here goes.....
The day after plugging the tire, my trip from Stockton to Alice's Restaurant was a mellow and an uneventful ride. On the way home however, I took my favorite high speed Altamont route via Mountain House. I had the camera rolling, the road surface was good..... and that Triumph triple was sounding sweeeeeet! Leaning her over at an indicated 113 mph, throwing her from a full-lean left to a full-lean right, was simply orgasmic. I have to mention here that these Pilot Roads did me well over Monitor Pass at speed in sand & the snow run-off, I think I really like 'em! However, after a few passes at over 110 mph, and a little fear/guilt rising to the surface, I backed off and rode the rest of the way home rather slowly.

Which begs another question:
What kind of riding/activity taxes a plug the most? High speed heat or the flexing of the tire in hard cornering?
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:25 AM   #23
RedRocket

You're not the only one to do things that are likely foolish.
I was out on a brand new set of Avons- first day! and holed my back tire. Luckily there was one BMW rider with us. I plugged it using a gummy bear.
With pressure checks over the first couple of hours, the tire was holding fine, so it had some runs up in the 100+ range over Hwy 58, and Lockwood Valley rd.
I did patch it later that week. As for your tire, if the plug is in there that well I'd throw a patch over it.

After that blow-out I now keep a BMW kit, plus some stringy worms, and extra inflators.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #24
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,594
I've had a number of failures with the stop n go
plugger as the plugs get cut by the steel belts.
Currently have an avon gripster (not steel)
have not tested it yet

The plugs usually lasted a 100 miles or so
no "blowout" then, but riding with a seriously
deflated tire before noticing may be too late.

Like others i've had good luck with goopy string
types. Who makes the inside patches btw?

Eric
Austin
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #25
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 507
Another vote for the sticky strings. I had one in my Goldwing's back tire for many thousands of miles. It was still there, still holding air, when the tread ran out. No reason to argue with success, IMHO. It's funny, though, that this low-tech, low-cost, easy-to-use solution seems to be the consensus favorite. Just goes to show...
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #26
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
...........Just goes to show...
That marketing creates new jobs..........
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #27
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Safety Seal Works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
These guys were highly recommended on another list. Seems they are reasonably durable, recommended by expeditionexchange.com.
I have a Stop n Go plugger and have used it numerous times, but never on a front tire. I recently got a Safety Seal kit, used it once on a car tire and once on a sport bike tire. They are a difficult SOB to install, but they don't leak. IMHO a much better and safer deal.

Ride Safe, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #28
topes
Banned

Oddometer: 6,351
I rode a Stop N Go plugged ME 550 about 15,000 miles. It really was unfortunate it gave out on the freeway in construction where both shoulders were blocked by concrete guards rails. I road the K1200LT off the freeway, rather than stop in a moving lane of traffic, at about 45 mph with a flat rear. The bike was put through some contortions but made it to a safe place.

With that said, I've seen Stop N Go plugged tires fail on several occasions on other people's bikes. If the plug job failed due to operator error, I failed to see what was done wrong. I'm back to string plugs simply because I know they will hold.
topes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #29
NCbub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
I had a rear tire last weekend go down at the Hot Springs Rally. I've never plugged one before and wanted an expert to do the job.

But all I could find was DirtDog. JacGuzzi had a couple differant tire kits he was kind enough to let me use. DirtDog went with the snot string kind and it held up great. For a day or two!

On my way home the tire plug popped and I ran over a school bus full of kids and highsided into the rear doors of a Baptist Church while they were singing Amazing Grace. My bike landed in the 4th pew and I landed in grape juice and waffers making me look like I was bleeding from every orfice of my body. 18 school kids, three Deacons and the Preacher plus myself were all transported to the hospital.

To make a long story short, my lawyer wants to know if anyone on here knows DirtDogs real name and address.

Just Kidding the snot string is doing great, Thanks Dirtdog and JacGuzzi
Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 PM   #30
RedRocket