Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #31
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 989
On Bridgestone's Web site it's stated that the ONLY approved patch of a tubeless tire is accomplished by removing the tire from the wheel and applying patch from the inside.

If you call versions of this a "plug" or "plugging," fine, but that's the recommended procedure by all tire manufacturers.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #32
Wanderlust
Just another spoke.....

Oddometer: 134
Yet another vote against stop-n-go (and stop-n-plug-the-same-damn-hole-again-n-again) plugs. I've had nothing but bad luck with those plugs, found half of most of the failed ones inside when I took the tire off to patch them. Put a rope plug in or better yet, patch it from the inside. As long as it was something small that punctured the tire and it wasn't in the sidewall, I don't worry about it. If it was something larger, like a lag bolt or really big screw, you may want to keep an eye on it to make sure the cords weren't damaged evidenced by weird buldges or the tire not running true. Good Luck!!!
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #33
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
On Bridgestone's Web site it's stated that the ONLY approved patch of a tubeless tire is accomplished by removing the tire from the wheel and applying patch from the inside.

If you call versions of this a "plug" or "plugging," fine, but that's the recommended procedure by all tire manufacturers.
Lawyer approved, thank goodness we're all safe. Me? I'll keep pluggin...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #34
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 390
Stop 'n go failure

Had a nail in my rear tire yesterday at Abuja. Noticed nail at takeoff time when checking tire pressure. I was heading back to Port Harcourt about 800kms away.
We got the nail out and applied a plug. Checked tire condition along the route and took pressure at 300km into the journey. Pressure was holding fine, no drop.

20kms later on semi paved roads, noticed bike behaving funny, slowed down, WTF, loss of pressure in rear.

Plug went off. Got a string kit from Osa - Goldwing driver with a moving mechanic shed onboard and made it back to Ph with string repair.

Am getting the string kit to replace the Stop n Go stuff in my portable tool kit.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #35
f650gs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
I have had a nail in the back tyre of my Sportster, for the last 15,000km, I check to tyres each week, the rear loses about 5PSI. Nail is wearing well....with the tyre
f650gs is offline   Reply With Quote