Well, now I am...damn
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #407
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
And if some people would quit with the erroneous speculations as to the dynamics of the relationship, I wouldn't be tempted to throw a few bombs to show people that they really have NO idea of what those dynamics are.

Geez. This has been covered SO many times. Guy says "your wife is afraid of you". I tell him that my wife is a dragon lady business owner with 150 employees who isn't afraid of much and somebody else says "Yeah well that doesn't mean she can ride." Uh, like, duh hey. I didn't say it meant she could ride, I said it meant she wasn't afraid. (I have in fact said she CAN'T ride very well, that's the whole point.)

As for "letting her do what she wants", what she WANTS is to ride with ME. So we can do something togther. Unlike a lot of the GUYS on this forum who seem to want to ride to get AWAY from their spouses. (There are posts on ADV all the time about guys griping because they want to go ride but their wives won't give them a pass and instead insist on making them do something with them.) "Letting" her ride by herself means she wouldn't ride, she DOESN'T WANT to ride by herself. She's not ready to ride by herself yet. That's HER opinion also.

We've been over this before but the same "205" crap keeps coming up.

And the contradictory advice keeps coming up. Somebody says she shouldn't be riding at all, she's not good enough (but how do you GET good enough if you don't ride). While somebody else says she should be riding by herself instead. You do realize those are contradictory? It's pretty ironic that on a forum where people will look at a ride photo of someone they don't even know and criticize their elbow position, that the same crowd is claiming that the best way for a low skill rider to advance is to expect them to magically and spontaneously figure out everything by themself. A new or returning rider can benefit from BOTH seat time AND experienced advice, it's not just one or the other.
This has been mentioned a few times before here, but maybe, she needs to get professional instruction. An intensive course, with real instructors, either MSF or whatever other ones are out there. Because it doesn't seem like whatever you are doing is sticking with her.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #408
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
And if some people would quit with the erroneous speculations as to the dynamics of the relationship, I wouldn't be tempted to throw a few bombs to show people that they really have NO idea of what those dynamics are.

Geez. This has been covered SO many times. Guy says "your wife is afraid of you". I tell him that my wife is a dragon lady business owner with 150 employees who isn't afraid of much and somebody else says "Yeah well that doesn't mean she can ride." Uh, like, duh hey. I didn't say it meant she could ride, I said it meant she wasn't afraid. (I have in fact said she CAN'T ride very well, that's the whole point.)

As for "letting her do what she wants", what she WANTS is to ride with ME. So we can do something togther. Unlike a lot of the GUYS on this forum who seem to want to ride to get AWAY from their spouses. (There are posts on ADV all the time about guys griping because they want to go ride but their wives won't give them a pass and instead insist on making them do something with them.) "Letting" her ride by herself means she wouldn't ride, she DOESN'T WANT to ride by herself. She's not ready to ride by herself yet. That's HER opinion also.

We've been over this before but the same "205" crap keeps coming up.

And the contradictory advice keeps coming up. Somebody says she shouldn't be riding at all, she's not good enough (but how do you GET good enough if you don't ride). While somebody else says she should be riding by herself instead. You do realize those are contradictory? It's pretty ironic that on a forum where people will look at a ride photo of someone they don't even know and criticize their elbow position, that the same crowd is claiming that the best way for a low skill rider to advance is to expect them to magically and spontaneously figure out everything by themself. A new or returning rider can benefit from BOTH seat time AND experienced advice, it's not just one or the other.
The first thing you should do is stop taken the advice here so serious. It hasn't taken me very long to figure out that many people here are far more opinionated than they are knowledgeable. Most of the reason to be here is for entertainment purposes only.
Come here, ask advice, but don't let it interfere with your life decisions.

And I keep seeing this "205" come up, what is that?
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #409
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The first thing you should do is stop taken the advice here so serious. It hasn't taken me very long to figure out that many people here are far more opinionated than they are knowledgeable. Most of the reason to be here is for entertainment purposes only.
Come here, ask advice, but don't let it interfere with your life decisions.

And I keep seeing this "205" come up, what is that?
The thing you have to learn about Viv is, he's an attention whore and someone who is always right. As soon as you realize that, all his posts fall into place.

205 refers to something that has been posted over and over by different people - I believe it comes from a speed ticket a guy got for going, allegedly, 205 MPH that people kept starting threads on.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #410
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,429
I was just trying to be funny, and thought that pic of an ADV scooter was the perfect way to do it
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #411
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The thing you have to learn about Viv is, he's an attention whore and someone who is always right. As soon as you realize that, all his posts fall into place.

205 refers to something that has been posted over and over by different people - I believe it comes from a speed ticket a guy got for going, allegedly, 205 MPH that people kept starting threads on.
Thanks for the info.
I don't pay too much attention to who's been posting what, I pretty much take each post for what it is.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #412
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I don't pay too much attention to who's been posting what, I pretty much take each post for what it is.
Doing that means you pretty much take everything said out of context, and don't comprehend the whole story.

For example...my picture means nothing if you don't know that many have reccomended to Viv that his wife ride a scooter, and one of his big arguments against one was that they weren't off road-able
09 TE450
Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #413
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Doing that means you pretty much take everything said out of context, and don't comprehend the whole story.
Sorry, I misspoke, I take every thread for what it is, not every post.
I'm not worried about something viv posted two years ago, I take this thread at face value.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #414
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Sorry, I misspoke, I take every thread for what it is, not every post.
I'm not worried about something viv posted two years ago, I take this thread at face value.
09 TE450
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #415
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
My wife tries to learn to ride on and off, years apart. Every time is close to starting over, but with slightly different errors. She never progresses enough to get beyond beginner, then quits. So the next time she tries, she's still a beginner.

Some time ago, in her 40s, my wife became interested in learning to ride. It was NOT something she "always" wanted to do, or always thought was cool. Just that she saw me going out to ride, and coming back hours later, and wanted to see what is was about. She even thought she wanted to ride trail, since I talked about trails so much.

She learned the basics of how a motorcycle operates on an XR-80 that one of the kids had. Then got her license through MSF and began rising on a DR-200. She's small, only weighed about 100 lbs., and thought the DR was high and heavy. She frequently had problems, and not just motorcycle-specific problems, but brain fade forgetting things she used daily driving a car.

Like once we pulled into a small commercial parking lot and were going to turn around to park. There were 3 nose-in spaces empty, next to each other. I was leading, rode straight into the right side of the right-most space, and made a U, coming out in the left-most space but toward the middle space, plenty of room for my wife to swing around even wider. Instead of following my line, wife rides diagonally straight across the right & middle space before turning another 45 degrees and running out of space, now 90 degrees to the original direction. And then asks "What do I do???" Well, like you might do in a car while making a 3-point turn, turn the front wheel right and back up, then left and go forward. Instead she just drops the bike.

After a number of other low-speed drops, she has a trail accident that results in an injury. She allows her upper body to be thrown forward going over a SMALL obstacle, her right elbow to be driven down, and this causes her to crank on WFO throttle, resulting in her hitting a tree. She breaks her thumb. The patch of missing bark on the tree was visible years later.

She quits trail and her riding peters out. After it sits a couple of years, we sell her bike. A few years later, I ask her if she would try again with a smaller bike, because I can buy a TTR-125L with street paperwork. She says okay and I buy the bike, but it only has paperwork. No way will it actually pass inspection. I spend almost as much getting it inspect-able as buying it. 2/3 of it was shop labor since I had a shop do it. If I had cared to to wrench it myself, I could have done it for a few hundred $, including having the stator re-wound.

She likes the lower height and lighter weight but always had issues with the kick start. One time she went out to ride, and for the next 15 minutes I heard various "PUTTs" and "PUTT-PUTTs" followed by periods of silence. She comes back inside almost crying, asking why her bike wouldn't start. We go over that the gas is on, the "choke" (really an enricher) is on, the switch is on (no key, just a switch). I go out and try it, and it starts and runs on the first kick.

She asks me how I did it. I shut it down with the kill button (leaving everything else set up the same) and ask her to show me what she was doing. It was like her wrist was geared to her ankle. Every time she kicked, she twisted WFO throttle. The bike starts easily on the enricher AT IDLE. It can't take any throttle, much less WFO, until it warms up. I ask her why she cranked throttle and she says "I thought that's how you start a motorcycle". That's not how we started it last week.

Then she has another injury accident. We are going down a 2-track on state land when we catch up to a Jeep. The Jeep stops so we can pass. I go around between the Jeep and a brush pile; nothing wrong with the line but there's not much room. Wife starts to go around but is afraid of the Jeep so brakes without pulling in the clutch, stalls, and falls over into the brush pile. She puts her hand out with the fingers spread, most of her hand goes through the pile but a stick catches her thumb and dislocates it.

She quits riding again, and after the bike sits a couple of years, we sell it. Years later, I buy an XT-225 as my "sick bike". Similar concept to when an old guy trades his cruiser for a trike. For when I get really sick from my cancer, so I'll have an easy to ride bike even though it's too small for me, and maybe I can ride a little longer. I am moving bikes around in the driveway and she sits on it, says "Hey, I think I could ride this." So we try again.

This time around she is confused by the kill switch. She turns the bike off with it, then walks away leaving the key on. I point out to her the lights are on. She goes back, turns the light switch to high beam, walks away again. I point out it's now on high beam, she switches the lights back & forth a few times, then blows the horn. So I point out the key position, and she replies "You told me the kill switch turns the bike off." She's had so many "forgets" on the {correction} kill switch that I put a piece of duct tape over it. It can still be used, just it's less visible.

This morning she gets confused with the e-start. She comes to me and asks me why her bike won't start. She says the gas is on, the bike is in neutral, she's turned the key but it won't start. I walk over, press the starter button, and it fires right up. I ask her what happened when she pushed the button and she says she didn't. She forgot about it. Thought turning the key would start the bike. That's not how we started it last week.

So today we went on a mixed surface ride. I'm worried about her slowing down enough before a blind downhill dirt road left curve so I make a big deal about flashing my brake lights several times before the crest preceding the turn. She makes that one okay and I accelerate around the following uphill right turn. I continue up the road but she doesn't appear in my mirrors so I stop and wait. She still doesn't come along so I turn around and find her bike in the ditch off the left.

She ran wide on an UPHILL visible turn, across the oncoming lane and into the ditch. She says her helmet hit the ground but not hard, and the handlebar hit her in the ribs. The bike isn't banged up much. She is game to keep riding and we continue our loop, which includes a lunch stop. Tonight she is feeling sore and I tell her she'll probably be stiff tomorrow. I hope she keeps riding this time. She doesn't really know how/why it happened. Says she didn't accelerate, but I don't think she braked either, just coasted wide until she ran out of road.

This isn't really a rant, just a dunno WTF.
She's gonna get hurt. Bad. If she continues. I'm sorry to say it. Some people get overwhelmed and when you mentioned her "brain fading car stuff, ie: traffic stuff", then it could be bad. My personal theory is, that, mid/late life motorcycle converts are way past their formative years, when we learn QUICKLY and EASILY. Some are very successful at getting it, soem cannot overcome the learning defecit. She's 100 lbs.? PILLION UP!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #416
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
She's gonna get hurt. Bad. If she continues. I'm sorry to say it. Some people get overwhelmed and when you mentioned her "brain fading car stuff, ie: traffic stuff", then it could be bad. My personal theory is, that, mid/late life motorcycle converts are way past their formative years, when we learn QUICKLY and EASILY. Some are very successful at getting it, soem cannot overcome the learning defecit. She's 100 lbs.? PILLION UP!
Said it before and I'll say it again...some people just don't have the ability to ride motorcycles and are a danger to themselves and others if they do. It really does seem his wife is in that category but obviously, since Viv knows best, that can't possibly be the case.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #417
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again...some people just don't have the ability to ride motorcycles and are a danger to themselves and others if they do. It really does seem his wife is in that category but obviously, since Viv knows best, that can't possibly be the case.
I'm of the opposite opinion - everyone can ride bikes (with the obvious caveats). Not everyone can ride like a professional, not everyone has raw talent but everyone is capable, if they want it. It may not come quickly and they may never professional but they'll be able to ride if you can find the right teaching style.

Maybe it's time for the husband to step back and for the wife to take some professional lessons, maybe in a women only group. Make a change. Do it differently. But keep doing it.

I still remember learning to drive a car, totally unable to do a 3 point turn, to coordinate feet and hands, to look over my shoulder and stll steer in a straight line ;p. I remember learning to ride the bike and low-siding it when I practiced my emergency stop :) Eventually everything clicks.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #418
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'm of the opposite opinion - everyone can ride bikes (with the obvious caveats). Not everyone can ride like a professional, not everyone has raw talent but everyone is capable, if they want it. It may not come quickly and they may never professional but they'll be able to ride if you can find the right teaching style.

Maybe it's time for the husband to step back and for the wife to take some professional lessons, maybe in a women only group. Make a change. Do it differently. But keep doing it.

I still remember learning to drive a car, totally unable to do a 3 point turn, to coordinate feet and hands, to look over my shoulder and stll steer in a straight line ;p. I remember learning to ride the bike and low-siding it when I practiced my emergency stop :) Eventually everything clicks.
Couldn't disagree more.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple