Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #46
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
...Maybe you should try explaining to her a little about the mechanics of the machine so she can visualize what she's trying to get it to do.
What more do you think I should tell her? Does it actually help her to operate the machine if I go over how most motorcycles have a multi-plate wet clutch that runs in an oil bath, while most cars have single plate dry clutch? How does that help her not rev the bike so much before she lets the clutch engage at all? She's owned clutch cars, how much more does she need to know about how a clutch works?

Quote:
Like others have said, scooters are easy....
Where do you suggest she ride this scooter, and how does she get there? You recommend scooters for dirt roads? The scooter rental places on Nantucket tell you NOT to ride their scooters on dirt roads. Besides, she doesn't want one.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #47
Boo Radley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Timely thread.

My 40 yr. old wife suddenly decided she wanted to get her endorsement about a month ago. The idea scares the snot out of me. We just got back from her first bike trip (her as a pillion, a week-long trip). We loved it and she is now signed up for the local MSF course in September.

My wife has no motorcycle experience but as a teenager did drive a car with a MT (so there is that). She is type-A, over-confident, and loves to speed everywhere. The worst thing is she has low situation awareness while driving, but doesn't seem to realize it. These are not good traits for a beginning cyclist, and I'm scared for her.

I've been trying to talk her out of it, but once she signed up for the MSF course have started supporting her. My plan is to let her use my XL-250 (low power, low seat height), and take her to empty parking lots and the desert as much as possible after the MSF course to build her skills. I'll be following this thread for more ideas.

Anyways...I totally agree that some people just aren't cut out for certain things. It took me 20 years to realize that no matter how many hours I spend practicing the guitar, I simply lack the "knack" and will basically be very mediocre at it no matter what. The difference is my mediocre guitar playing won't get me killed.

Good luck to us both!

Boo
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #48
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

Some people say she needs more instruction and isn't ready to ride even ride on a road, but then others say that if I give her guidance in line or speed that I am doing it for her and she'll never learn. I think some are merely projecting the dynamics of their own relationships onto ours.
Everyone in here are trying to help you. You take the advices you want, skip the ones you don't want. Easy.

Don't forget that you are the one who started this whole complaint in the first place so maybe you should try to appreciate the advices a little more. A certain humility on your part might help too.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #49
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,259
Interesting thread. People learn in different ways and at varying rates.

I'd suggest let her loose on a scooter with training by a professional coach.
I get the whole ego thing of teaching your partner to ride but knowing how to do something does not mean you can teach it.

The idea of hooking her up with other lady riders is good too.

PS: who says you can't ride a scooter in the dirt?
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #50
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Hello all,

Well first, let me say that I really appreciate how the men on this forum have spoken of their girlfriends and wives. Such love and concern that you have shown that a lot of women would probably not see unless they read this. I'm glad that I did. Hooray for you! . I hope you tell them as candidly as you have spoken here how you really feel about them and keeping them around for a long time....

Now, let me say being a woman of short stature and very little upper body strength, I personally would not try to ride a bike that was clearly not for me. For example, right now... I have NO DREAMS of learning to manipulate all of the gears and synchronize all of the things that go with riding a motorcycle; even though I have interest in riding one! I find it confusing even think about all of that stuff! I read this thread all the way through and STILL don't get what is for what and what does what. haha. I certainly would not get on the road without that understanding. Wanting to learn it and actually doing it are two entirely different things.

I rode a 50cc scooter off and on (mostly off) for 2 years with a total of about 6 months riding experience due to constant rain, ankle injuries unrelated to riding, and the extreme fear that every time I got on the thing, it felt dangerous to me; even though I wanted to ride to please my husband and do "his hobby" with him.
But it took me quite some time before I was even willing to get on one of my own because of the fear I had of falling. Seeing him drop his bike certainly didn't help me either knowing that he was an experienced rider of over 35 years. But I knew "he" wanted it for me. So, I was willing to try.

What I found out was this:

I could not simply trust "his" opinion in regard to which bike was right for me. It had to "feel safe" to me as well. For example, my first bike was a Yamaha BWS scooter. It NEVER felt safe to me. I always hit my foot on the frame when trying to recover out of a stop at a light. Thus the foot position was not right "for me". Even though the machine was "well built". Secondly, I had to have my boots "built up" to be able to even be on my toes. I did this because every experienced rider that I spoke to raved about how "well built" the bike was. It never felt safe to me. Lastly, it was far too difficult for me to even get the thing on the center stand. I even sprained my wrist once trying to do so outside of a resturant which had me in such pain I was in tears and still had to drive it home because my husband was on his own bike at the time. this happened after recovering from an ankle injury that prevented me fro riding for months! Every time I got on that thing, it felt like THE FIRST TIME AGAIN!.

I hated it! I traded it for a Kymco Vitality which seemed to fit me a lot better. But NOW, I had to overcome this "bad taste" of the last bike I had ridden. Thus, it felt like I was starting ALL OVER AGAIN. The bike handled completely different from the last one! I almost gave up altogether and didn't want to ride as much as my husband even though it felt like a better fit. It just seemed like too much "mental stress". It was NOT FUN.

The next riding season rolls around and I arose with a new determination and fresh interest to ride and learn to do it pretty good. I did ok for a rookie and thought I should "upgrade" to somthing more suitable to ride on the highway with my husband. Won't get into the horrible experience with a lemon of a bike and a crappy dealer and distributor that lasted all of 2 months before I sold my first 250cc. I deal with the bike literally cutting off on me while I was rolling in traffic; etc. Several times! Scared the crap out of me and I almost decided not to EVER get on a bike again.

Making an already long story short.... I had to decided for myself that I would ride. I instructed my husband NOT TO INSTRUCT ME in regard to how easy it was, etc; as that was NOT and had NOT been my experience even though I tried. I would ride when "I" wanted to "if" i wanted to and not for him; even though he had not asked me to do it for him. I just didn't want to hear anything about it at that point. I had far too many bad experiences to think it would ever get any better.

I am glad to say that it has gotten better. But only because I made the decision to do it on my own terms at my own comfort level. I purchased another 250cc that I knew would be a reliable bike. It fits me fine except for the seat comfort and handles well. But I rode it on the back roaes of our city BEFORE taking it on a long distance trip. I have never taken a course, although I would have loved to and am sure I would have benefited from it. We live too far away from the nearest training course and they require that you be there EVERYDAY FOR FOUR HOURS.

Said all of this to say, that she will have to make a decision as to whether she REALLY wants to pursue this or if she is infactuated with the "idea" of riding herself. The two are not synonomous. If she wants to pursue it, let it be "her" responsibility to get into the proper training. I agree that you may not be the best source of instruction for her. My husband had a hard time understanding that our riding experiences were NOT the same. I was dealing with a significant amount of insecurity over my limitations and skill level. He was soooo far removed from that experience, that he could not understand "why I wasn't getting it".

So, we had to work out something.....it went like this: Me: "Don't push me"! ......Hubby: "ok". Me: If I stop and look like I am frozen in time, I AM!....You go first, I will see what you do and do THAT.".....HUBBY: 'OK", BUT, the reason I want you to go first is because I can keep traffic from running into you if you get into a tight spot". Me: " I ain't going no where if I am frozen with fear or unsure of how to do the manuever!".

and on and on it went until we worked out what worked for us. But I had to overcome the fear and be willing to get past the "glamourous idea" of being on two wheels riding with him and we both had to respect my limitations until they got better; which by the way NEVER happens without practice and risk. And also be aware that the dangers are VERY real. My husband showed me several videos of manuevers gone wrong! I DID NOT want to be that person.. I had to be willing to take constructive critique, cry , get frustrated with myself, and try it again. But realize that it takes time to be as proficient as he has become. And he had to understand that I was NOT as proficient as he even though it seemed like second nature to him and that he had "just told me that last week" or yesterday.

Now, I can keep up pretty good (I think)..,haha....and we just completed a 12 day trip to and from Portland, Oregon from British Columbia, Canada. Which by the way was NOT without its own challenges! The ride report is below if you are interested in that adventure!

Also, if she wants to ride ANYTHING, she needs to have the proper protective gear as well. Proper gloves and armour will significantly cut down on injuries even though she may still have falls and experience bruises.

I don't know if ANYTHING I have said helps you out at all, but I certainly hope so. I also like the idea of her getting the hang of manuevering on a scooter IF she finds the gears too complexed on a motorcycle. It could simply be a case of getting the machine that fits "her" and not what she necessarily thinks she can handle "right now". The most important thing is to save life and limb whatever she decides to ride. If she cannot do this with a reasonable amount of safety to herself and others, it is a done deal. Nothing is worth her life or the life of someone else.

It sounds to me that you have done all that you can to help her with this. There isn't too much left except more of the same, or a professional refresher course. By the way, did she pass the course??
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"

Scooterchick screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 09:45 PM
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #51
Scooterchick
And then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
The idea of hooking her up with other lady riders is good too. PS: who says you can't ride a scooter in the dirt?

Scooters are not like dirt bikes. They generally are not built for that kind of terrain for long periods of time and that kind of rough handling. Especially if they sit really low to the ground. I mean, I guess you "can" if you want to have it in the shop a lot! haha

I like the idea of other lady riders too. But if they lack the patience, she will be no better off. I think a refresher course that "she" chooses is her best bet.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #52
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post

Scooters are not like dirt bikes. They generally are not built for that kind of terrain for long periods of time and that kind of rough handling. Especially if they sit really low to the ground. I mean, I guess you "can" if you want to have it in the shop a lot! haha

I like the idea of other lady riders too. But if they lack the patience, she will be no better off. I think a refresher course that "she" chooses is her best bet.
Depends what you get I spose and what type of dirt roads are attempted ... maybe a postie bike would fit the bill better... those things will go just about anywhere
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #53
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
PS: who says you can't ride a scooter in the dirt?
I've done it, but are you really saying that is a good thing for a beginner?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #54
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
... maybe a postie bike would fit the bill better... those things will go just about anywhere
WTF is wrong with the XT-225 she rides now?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #55
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
By the way, did she pass the course??
Yes, I said previously that's how she got her motorcycle license.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #56
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Don't forget that you are the one who started this whole complaint in the first place so maybe you should try to appreciate the advices a little more. A certain humility on your part might help too.
Did you notice that NOWHERE did I ask anyone for advice? Go fook yerself.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #57
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
I could not simply trust "his" opinion in regard to which bike was right for me. It had to "feel safe" to me as well.
She's the one who asked me to give her the XT-225.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #58
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Also, if she wants to ride ANYTHING, she needs to have the proper protective gear as well. Proper gloves and armour will significantly cut down on injuries even though she may still have falls and experience bruises.
She wears a dualsport combination of full moto-x boots and dirt pants, with a "street" armoured jacket and a "street" full face helmet. In summer she wears dirt gloves. So you're barking up the wrong tree there.

What you're forgetting is that she's been licensed for 10 years, and not on a scooter either. As I mentioned, she first learned to ride on a dirt-only XR-80, and then got her license on a motorcycle through MSF. It's not she has never figured out how to shift gears. She used to.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #59
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
WTF is wrong with the XT-225 she rides now?
Probably nothing except she seemed to be having issues with clutch operation?

oh and BTW a scooter is a motorcycle in that it has two in-line wheels ... don't be a bike snob
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #60
Scooterchick
And then what?

If she doesn't have the basics down in real life situations, that bike might be too much for her right now. Doesn't matter what she asked for. It's her skill level that is on the forefront here. She clearly can't handle it yet. If she is insistant on keeping it, than she would have to be responsible to get the proper training until she was proficient on that machine. Otherwise, she is a danger to herself and others on the road.

I learned the hard way without the benefit of a course nearby. It can only help her to take the course again and not get ahead of herself. Safety first and foremost for herself and others. You can only do what works.