User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
zetabird OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
78 pe250 crank seals

ok so i finaly got the motivation to drag the old pe back out i have new crank seals to put in. so the right side under the clutch cover do i have to split the case? i pulled it apart on that side pulled the clutch and all and there is no seal there
and i still need to track down a puller for the magneto flywheel thingy on the other side

im still getting used to these things so im a bit lost and i havent found much other than the FSM thing but it dosent show alot about the seals. any help would be awsome
zetabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Looks like you will need to split the cases. The seal is inboard of the bearing on the clutch side.

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemp...cab/crankshaft
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
zetabird OP
Adventurer

well balls thats not gonna be fun was kinda hopeing i didnt have to take it down much further... ohwell gotta do it. thanks tho now i need to find a way to gt that dumb flywheel off
Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
LWC3077
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Make sure you get a proper puller for it that bolts to the flywheel.
easy to make one yourself. Otherwise there will be tears when you bugger it (flywheel) up and find they are not available and hard to find. Also do not screw the 3 bolts in too far into the threads otherwise they will damaged the coils. Seen a few guys do that too.

All the manuals that explain disassmbly are here

http://cid-407d7ef0965d3991.skydrive.../Pure%20Enduro

have a good read before starting.

I recommend the Clymer manual but to be more specific for your engine download the genuine owners manual which will also run you through tear down of the engine aswell.
LWC3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
zetabird OP
Adventurer

ive got a pdf of the owners manual and it didnt say much about seals atall, i have alocal bike shop that may have the puller and if not i think i can get a universial one on ebay. id like to get this thing up and running, the goal was street leagal to put around town but now id be happy to just ride it lol
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Clayclev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I have a 78.5 rm250 motor that has 12 races on it with new top end. Would let go for cheap. I've got a bounce of other parts also. Shoot me a pm if interested
Clayclev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #7
zetabird OP
Adventurer

i apreciate the offer, but this is kinda a super buget side project, the only thing i need parts wise really is the kickstart lever mines messed up bad. and from what i have been reading the 77 78 pes were diffrent than like everything but i dont have a diffrent one on hand i know this motor seams alot different internally from a coworkers 78 rm but then again i dont know crap im just going by what he says