Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
ahwarm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Which Bike

Hello,

I've been lurking around this board reading all the ride reports and looking at all the beautiful pictures and have decided adventure riding is something I'd love to get into, but which bike? Excuse me for being naive to this whole world but I am and maybe you can help me out.

Here is a little background about me. I'm 26 years old at 6'1" 240lbs ( I know, I can stand to lose a few ). I've been riding in sand most of my life ( Glamis Dunes in CA and Oregon Dunes). I mostly rode quads but I've riden a Honda CR250 dirt bike( 2 stroke) for a few years. I feel comfortable in the dunes on a dirt bike but I have NEVER ridden a bike on the street. I have zero street experience. I want to buy a bike mostly for commuting to and from work. Not far, just 16 miles round trip and also for some adventure/off road riding. A couple trips a year.

I orginally was turned on to this site to find a bike. I did some quick searches here and on craigslist and turned up quite a bit of results for my price range. I'm not looking at buying new. I'd like to buy a used bike (2004-2009). I have a $5000 budget but I'd like to keep it around the $4,000 to $4,200 range. Without knowing anything about the bikes I basically looked at cosmetics and chose which ones I preferred. The GS650 really caught my eye. It looks cool as well as comfortable. I at first thought it was going to be completely out of my range but I've found quite a few used ones. I also noticed the BMW brand, which I've known to be quite expensive. How expensive is maintenance? Tires? Parts? Is it comfortable for 2 people to ride? I don't expect my wife to ride much with me but she might say I can't go one day unless she goes too!!

The other bikes I've been intersted in are thumpers. KLR and XR and I really like the way the XChallenge. I will post in that section to not bore the people in here. Thank you for your opinion and I'm sorry if I'm just another newbie asking a question.

Andy
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
B-B

Oddometer: 150
What you are probably seeing are F650GS and G650GS (same bike, more or less) singles. The newer F650 and F800GS are twins, you wont find one in that price range.
I'd get an older F650 thumper rather than the newer G650 with the Asian engine; just personal preference.

B-B screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 05:06 PM
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
ahwarm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Sorry for putting this in the wrong forum. You see I still have a lot to learn. Thank you.

Andy

ahwarm screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 05:10 PM
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote