Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
i love the bike,but the seating position is killing me.(Severe Neck & Shouler pain) I am waiting for Seargent to come out with there seat for The Tenere,And hopefully that will solve my only issue the bike.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
For every aftermarket part that offered for the S10 is done so because someone perceives a need for it.
Isn't that where ALL aftermarket parts stem from??

DaFoole screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 06:42 AM
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg View Post
i love the bike,but the seating position is killing me.(Severe Neck & Shouler pain) I am waiting for Seargent to come out with there seat for The Tenere,And hopefully that will solve my only issue the bike.
I put an inch bar riser on it. I like it better and didn't need to modify cables.
Other than that I use an Airhawk for the seat. 5' 11" 32 inch inseam.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Same size (5' 11" and 32" IS), I have the Corbin and raised my bars 1", worked fine to Alaska and back and several 12 hour days in the saddle. I may send the seat back for an adjustment to raise the front just a tad, if I ever get off the thing long enough.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Well there's some bait.
But you always leave out the back story.

Quote:
or possible trade for a well equipped low mileage 2012 Super Tenere.
Quote:
All my buddies are doing big bike 2 up rides with thier fender bunnies and my wife says to get rid of the HP2 so we can join them.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Well there's some bait.

I Yamaha could have made this bike so much better for off road without sacirificing it's street manners. To add salt to the wound is that Yamaha has made it so hard to get the bike happier to be off road. On the other hand, maybe it just takes a lot more work to develop off road products for a street bike motor/bike.

Ok fire up the torches sharpen your pitch forks.
I think it's tough gig for a manufacturer to cover every base. Look at BMW with their HP2. I've never
seen one loaded up and heading down a road. So if you go too far one way or the other you can lose sales.

Manufacturers have to play it safe or appeal to a small market. I was not looking for a 1200 cc dirt bike.
I wanted a replacement for my Strom that had a shaft drive. After having it off road, then more agressive off
road, then stupid off road I couldn't help but be impressed with a side of the bike I didn't expect to have.

Yes it's heavy. Yes the KTM and HP2 are better off road. Yes the Yamaha is more versatile than one would think
by stats and visual appearance.

I've had wheel bending issues and one fork seal leak. I've literally tried to get the bike to break. Other than
the wheels the S10 just asks "Is that all you've got?"

Sorry, not trying to make this a praise thread. My weakness spots have been wheels, seals and the factory tank
bag slides all over in the rough stuff. I did replace the OEM aftermarket plate too with an Altrider just to be a
cautious with the sump area.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Well, yeah. I don't like missing the thrill of brake malfunctions on my old BMW GS12 on rocky steeps with my wife on the back. Parts flying off. Lights going out.Carrying spare oil. Over 100 miles trips to the dealer for warranty work where I could take the wife to a movie(no movies in my tuiny mtn hometown). Yup. This stinkin Tenere denied me all that "fun". It works--GREAT. Stinkin bike.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Well, yeah. I don't like missing the thrill of brake malfunctions on my old BMW GS12 on rocky steeps with my wife on the back. Parts flying off. Lights going out.Carrying spare oil. Over 100 miles trips to the dealer for warranty work where I could take the wife to a movie(no movies in my tuiny mtn hometown). Yup. This stinkin Tenere denied me all that "fun". It works--GREAT. Stinkin bike.
I'll just put you down as "Undecided"
Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
............... I will say that it is strange that a guys like Greg at WASP spends months (or is it years now) trying to get a S10 more likable for off road and gets standing ovations for his efforts. But for every change that he makes he is, in fact, saying that he thinks the bike could be better (or really sucks) and from his fan base seems a whole lot of others agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Some valid comments. Wasp has been a busy boy. jaumev is another one who has taken his
S10 to another level.

I also find that motorcycle owners tend to farkle up no matter what the original intent of the bike is.
Dirt, street, Dual Sport we like our goodies.

I've had my Tenere in areas that pushed it's limits and a lighter weight would have been nice.
That's been rehashed before. You start to trim it down and sacrifice strength for bags, fittings.
mounts and pretty soon people are complaining it's fragile. The over built nature appeals to some.
Pluric: your absolute right: we like our goodies

I’m sorry, this thread is for people who not like their Super T and I’m not one of these.

I know I’m a pane in the ass with all my farkles, this means I don’t like the bike? NO. I like farkling the bike nearly as much as riding it.

Also I know any manufacturer is going to build the bike I need, so I'm used to adapt them to my kind of ride.

When I decided change the GSA, my first logical choice was the KTM990 but after testing the ST I realized is the most versatile big trail bike and with the Yamaha trusting reliability… and with a plus: lots of possible farkling to be the perfect bike

jaumev screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 10:01 PM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I put an inch bar riser on it. I like it better and didn't need to modify cables.
Other than that I use an Airhawk for the seat. 5' 11" 32 inch inseam.
I am 6'3" with about 34-36 inseam and have tried the 1"up & 1"back risers, It helped a little bit,did the seat mod, adjusted the seat from low to high,still nothing,tried riding with my elbows more toward my body,sitting up straighter,used a BIG water proof bag as a back rest on a trip to Tenn. 1800 miles later,i was still stopping every 100 - 120 miles to give my shoulders & neck a rest.I am really hoping an after market seat will fix the problem..
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
I am 6'3" with about 34-36 inseam and have tried the 1"up & 1"back risers, It helped a little bit,did the seat mod, adjusted the seat from low to high,still nothing,tried riding with my elbows more toward my body,sitting up straighter,used a BIG water proof bag as a back rest on a trip to Tenn. 1800 miles later,i was still stopping every 100 - 120 miles to give my shoulders & neck a rest.I am really hoping an after market seat will fix the problem..
Maybe this is the next must have farkle???

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...&aparam=383162
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
Bullettwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I like the ST, but my thumbs and my butt got sore on the way home from the Yukon Rally. I've been home a week and I'm still sore. After I got home, I greased the clutch and brake levers, but they feel awfully stiff and hard to pull to me. I am a small person, 5'2" and 115 pounds, but I can ride my RT for miles and miles without this type of discomfort.

Other than that, the ST ran flawlessly.
Bullettwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
ride everything
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
To be honest, I absolutely hated my bike when I first purchased it. I actually left my keys in the ignition while in the grocery store more than once.
This is why this thread is cool. There are so many choices now, and everyone is all but blowing their new bikes, which I get, but when you're in the market for a freshy, it's refreshing to hear from someone who actually regrets their decision (that sounds odd), but I am glad it finally worked out for ya, but this is gooood info.
ride everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
Bullettwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Just got back from a canyon run on the RT. It just fits me better than the ST. Grips are closer together and levers adjust slightly closer to the handlebar. Upper back is totally relaxed on the RT, I think it is related to the difference in handlebar width.
Bullettwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
pluric OP
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettwo View Post
Just got back from a canyon run on the RT. It just fits me better than the ST. Grips are closer together and levers adjust slightly closer to the handlebar. Upper back is totally relaxed on the RT, I think it is related to the difference in handlebar width.