Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #76
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I hear alot of people talk about the low end torque of the tenere not being that great but I guess I just don't get it? I only have 4k miles so by no means an expert, but I have never riden any bike under 3,500 revs and expected any type of performance. Hell I cruse the bike at 4k. I don't know when you would ever have the bike lugged down below 3500 rpm. That is one reason why bikes have gears, so you can stay in the sweet spot. I don't pretend to know everything. Just trying to shed some real world light in this topic.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #77
pluric OP
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I hear alot of people talk about the low end torque of the tenere not being that great but I guess I just don't get it? I only have 4k miles so by no means an expert, but I have never riden any bike under 3,500 revs and expected any type of performance. Hell I cruse the bike at 4k. I don't know when you would ever have the bike lugged down below 3500 rpm. That is one reason why bikes have gears, so you can stay in the sweet spot. I don't pretend to know everything. Just trying to shed some real world light in this topic.
It's surprising on off road how often you do. That's why some have felt the 1st gear is too high. They want
the low speed grunt without having to slip the clutch. I've had a couple hill climbs that were 1st gear, all I
could do to hold on and it felt like I could count the engine pulses. If it would have hiccuped I would be have
been screwed. The reflash and TB screw adjustment helped. I've not been in that situation with the clutch mod.
On the street it almost feels too responsive just off idle for some sensitive off road situations with the clutch mod.

It's water and single track season here so I've not had the Tenere in the rough for a while. Looking forward to
trying it with the mod combinations. (hand rubbing)
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #78
klunsford
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I hate it!

I agree with some of the comments about the Tenere. As with all motorcycles, someone can always come up with something to buy to help make it better. I don't know of a bike that comes with everything just perfect for everyone on the planet. I have seen my Tenere do some minor things that I not totally likeable, but for the most part, I don't have any major complaints about the bike. It does most things so good (for the price), it would be hard to find anything in this world that even comes this close to being an "everything" bike. Sorry, don't have any "Real" negatives for you. It is just that good!
klunsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #79
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
It's surprising on off road how often you do. That's why some have felt the 1st gear is too high. They want
the low speed grunt without having to slip the clutch. I've had a couple hill climbs that were 1st gear, all I
could do to hold on and it felt like I could count the engine pulses. If it would have hiccuped I would be have
been screwed. The reflash and TB screw adjustment helped. I've not been in that situation with the clutch mod.
On the street it almost feels too responsive just off idle for some sensitive off road situations with the clutch mod.

It's water and single track season here so I've not had the Tenere in the rough for a while. Looking forward to
trying it with the mod combinations. (hand rubbing)
I see what you are saying about off road but isn't that what the clutch can be used for? Getting the rpm in the power zone.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #80
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
I see what you are saying about off road but isn't that what the clutch can be used for? Getting the rpm in the power zone.
Doing this will offer less traction. That's why we want the low end torque. Being able to lug the motor will offer more traction.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #81
pluric OP
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomantra View Post
Doing this will offer less traction. That's why we want the low end torque. Being able to lug the motor will offer more traction.
Yup.

I've not heard of an S10 clutch failure or issue. Some are concerned continued slippage could cause
problems. My only complaint has been in sand when I forgot to turn off the TC. That will not let you
power out of anything. Then you have to stop, switch, fall over and try again. I would prefer it defaulted to
TC2 to help with my senior moments.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #82
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
been screwed................)
I'm agree the 1st is too high, even more than the GSA so it was my big concern before buy it. But this doesn’t mean it has no torque, to me it has a lot.
Lucky the clutch is so progressive that helps a lot in difficult situations off road and it doesn’t “smell” like the GSA when you abuse of it (what a relief!!)
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #83
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

I just want to say that I am happy this conversation could be had without someone calling the other person an asshole or being a jerk. Good job to us all! Bottom line is the bike is great. There are changes that can be made to make the bike better for any given situation or to suite your style. The bike is priced right which makes it that much more fun to make just right for you. We don't all have the same taste, riding style, or performance expectations. The bike is good at everything, not perfect at anything other than being good at everything.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #84
pluric OP
Banned

Quote:
I just want to say that I am happy this conversation could be had without someone calling the other person an asshole or being a jerk. Good job to us all! Bottom line is the bike is great. There are changes that can be made to make the bike better for any given situation or to suite your style. The bike is priced right which makes it that much more fun to make just right for you. We don't all have the same taste, riding style, or performance expectations. The bike is good at everything, not perfect at anything other than being good at everything.
Watch it asshole, you're borderline praising the bike in a hate thread.

Not to mention you made it sound like a KLR.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #85
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Hopefully this will be a REALLY short thread. It seems all you read is how much
owners like their S10. I was just wondering if there is anyone who regrets the
purchase and why?

Don't turn this into a love fest. I would like hear from the haters.
Trying to box in Wfopete?
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #86
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:

What an Asshat!!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #87
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
Trying to box in Wfopete?

I've said my piece. You guys know the issues even though they are generally only whispered in corners of dark rooms. I see no sense in rubbing your nose in a bike that is so close to the Holy Grail as the S10 is to you. Go take on the world, it welcomes you. I'll just be content to "commute" on my hokey little Tenere' street bike. When are you planning a S10 ride/gathering in Arkansas? I'd love to see the faces behind the names.

BTW, does anyone know when the S10 oil pans are coming off of backorder status from Yamaha? Opps, sorry, I forgot that's probably one of those "dark room" statements.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas

wfopete screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 07:36 PM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #88
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post

BTW, does anyone know when the S10 oil pans are coming off of backorder status from Yamaha?

Last thing I heard is that every available foundry in Japan has been commissioned to do a production run starting next week.

Other manufacturers have been put on hold. No more Triumph motor parts for the next year.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #89
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
I've said my piece. You guys know the issues even though they are generally only whispered in corners of dark rooms. I see no sense in rubbing your nose in a bike that is so close to the Holy Grail as the S10 is to you. Go take on the world, it welcomes you. I'll just be content to "commute" on my hokey little Tenere' street bike. When are you planning a S10 ride/gathering in Arkansas? I'd love to see the faces behind the names.

BTW, does anyone know when the S10 oil pans are coming off of backorder status from Yamaha? Opps, sorry, I forgot that's probably one of those "dark room" statements.
Pete, I think the week in October that includes Halloween would be good. You may have more good routes for the SuperTen than I do. I've been riding around some with Bearly Flying out of Fort Smith along the western Edge of the Ozarks. We've sniffed around your area some. Went up to Pilot Knob, Long Pool, Big Piney Overlook, etc. I'm heading to Sturgis ( yes that motorcycle rally) on my SuperTen. I'm planning on riding some dirt roads up there besides hanging with the Pirates. I've got some time the week that includes the weekend of Sept 21 and 22. There's some guys wanting to do some riding around Bixby, MO then. You ought to jump on board for that. As long as you've had your SuperTen your street riding skills should be pretty good by then.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #90
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:

Quote:

Panic not, I'm a happy KLR owner and I'm seriously thinking about the Super Tenere as my next ride so I'm interested in dissenting opinions. And budget luggage solutions....