Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
But, but, but - wha happened? Patience it is - been eyeballing the OBCDR for a while now. Looking forward to more. Nice job so far - thanks for the effort.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 317
Woohoo page 2! bring it on!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 730
Now for the real story. Yes we were dragged to several NP sites for stamps, but willingly and there was some nice scenery along the way.

The tires? Yep no problem with getting the front tire off but one of the BMW riders in the group failed to bring the correct tool so he couldn't get the wheel off. So yeah, the bike shop helped out a lot! And the price was right, $60 to mount 4 tires. That's right 4, seems that the dynamic duo got the front tire mounted but the tube was twisted so the shop had to re-do their work. I wasn't getting Metamucil, I was running some kids out of my yard. I mean I was buying drinks and snacks.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
dragonfinder1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Obdr

Five of us are doing the OBDR starting Saturday in Walla Walla. Two of us are starting on the Oregon coast and the other three are starting in Central Wa., meeting in Walla Walla in the afternoon before heading out to find a camp site. One BMW 1100 GS two KLR 650's and I don't know what the other two are, I haven't meet those guys. Maybe our paths will cross along the way.

98 1100GS
09 FLHTCU
dragonfinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfinder1 View Post
Five of us are doing the OBDR starting Saturday in Walla Walla. Two of us are starting on the Oregon coast and the other three are starting in Central Wa., meeting in Walla Walla in the afternoon before heading out to find a camp site. One BMW 1100 GS two KLR 650's and I don't know what the other two are, I haven't meet those guys. Maybe our paths will cross along the way.
I'd advise spending as much time up north as you can. The desert stuff is different and interesting, but in my opinion the better riding was the northern parts. You'll see why I feel this way when I finally get into the actual OBDR section of this RR.

Oh, and tell your buddy to have fun with the piggy 1100, the "little" 800 was a handfull at times. Make sure you get video when he's crossing the malheur and also for the sandy parts...
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson View Post
The tires? Yep no problem with getting the front tire off but one of the BMW riders in the group failed to bring the correct tool so he couldn't get the wheel off. So yeah, the bike shop helped out a lot! And the price was right, $60 to mount 4 tires. That's right 4, seems that the dynamic duo got the front tire mounted but the tube was twisted so the shop had to re-do their work.
Yes, I admit that up until that point I had never taken the front wheel off of the GS (or rear for that matter). BUT, it turns out that you don't need a special tool, you just have to know what you're doing (leave the axle bolt on the threads a little bit and then hit that bolt head to free the axle). SO, I had everything I needed/was supposed to bring for ths little trip. Unlike the Suzuki rider in our group who was tasked to specifically bring 2 things (face shield cleaner and something else) and showed up with only 1 of the two...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
dragonfinder1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post
I'd advise spending as much time up north as you can. The desert stuff is different and interesting, but in my opinion the better riding was the northern parts. You'll see why I feel this way when I finally get into the actual OBDR section of this RR.

Oh, and tell your buddy to have fun with the piggy 1100, the "little" 800 was a handfull at times. Make sure you get video when he's crossing the malheur and also for the sandy parts...
Ok, I'll tell me that. Did the WABDR last year with no problems.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=437

98 1100GS
09 FLHTCU

dragonfinder1 screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 07:26 AM
dragonfinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfinder1 View Post
Ok, I'll tell me that. Did the WABDR last year with no problems.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=437
Wow, that water crossing looks pretty gnarly. Seems like it'd be just a mud bog. We saw a couple of 1100s in a group outside of Christmas Valley (the town right after the endless babyheads in the desert section) and they looked pretty beat up. More power to you for being able to own that big bike. I'm sure the old man wouldn't have minded being on one for the highway parts.

I'd like to do the WABDR next, but i think the Utah route might be more likely for me. The whole 6 days of ridng thing to get to Oregon and back just eats up too much time.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
D-Stylz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post
Make sure you get video when he's crossing the malheur and also for the sandy parts...
Or the almost crossing...

http://youtu.be/JGcR-tulDQY

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - Anonymous
D-Stylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

I got the face shield cleaning stuff once we got to Fallon!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,180
In.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

DAY 4 (Day 1 of the OBDR): Section 1 of OBDR. 228 miles. Moving average 31.2mph. Moving time 7:18.

Alright, done with the road garbage, time to get down to what everyone was wanting- DIRT.

Day 4 started without a hitch. Mike really hooked us up and we met the MC shop owner right on time at 7. He had a full crew ready to go too. The is also on a monday, not exactly usual for MC shops to be open on Mondays, much less come in early to help someone out. Like the old man said, it was only $60 to mount all 4 tires. Awesome. The shop's name was High Desert Motorcycles or something like that. I highly recommend them if you need anything before you kick off your OBDR ride from the south.

After some gas station breakfast chow we're out of Alturas before 9 i wanna say. We blast up to the trailhead and i for one could hardly wait. I was a little apprehensive about how the pirelli scorpion rally tires would be on the road (especially that aggressive front), but I had no problems and was thoroughly pleased. The warm and fuzzy feelings about them would only grow as I'd soon get a chance to push them off road.

Here's the trailhead maybe 3/4 miles south of the OR/CA border

I threw my tankbag in the rear duffel and used some extra velcro we had to whip up a makeshift map holder for my paper maps. I had tracks from treknow and transposed the route on Benchmark maps- very high quality maps.

I didn't know exactly what to expect from the OBDR, maybe alot of gravel forest roads with some ATV trails mixed in? I intentionally tried not to read too many RRs or research the actual riding too much as I wanted it to be somewhat of a "surprise". Right away, the OBDR throws us some amazing riding. Nice flowy/twisty fire roads that wind up the mountain and into a high valley. AWESOME. This is what it looked like up top:

Note the cows too. Just a little side-story, "shit-show Benny" was hauling balls around a blind gravel corner and almost nailed one of those living hamburgers (that's with me blaring my horn trying to warn him too). I'll get into how he earned the honorable nickname of "shit-show Benny" later.

This kinda shows the knobbies and the map setup a bit:

Having GPS tracks made the riding soo much more enjoyable. Since we each had a GPS with the loaded tracks, we could spread out for dust and not have to constantly stop to make sure someone made a wrong turn or look at a paper map. The paper maps were really helpful though when it came to figuring out "short cuts" or just getting a big picture of the area.

The tracks took us on a several sections that have seen very little traffic. The whole time we were on the actual OBDR, I don't bet we saw more than 10 people. You definitely get some solitude out there.

Lovin' life

Okay first off, to give him some credit, here's Benny owning the tire mounting process:

He earned the "shit-show" nickname years back. After a long day of riding gravel, we pulled into a McDonalds to chill out and cool off. We're all smoked and definitely ready to be off the bikes. As we're leaving the parking lot, he just drops his poor F650GS . The turn signal explodes and scuffs the plastic. The combination of heat, exhaustion, and carelessness created what I call the "shit-show". It was pretty funny..maybe you had to be there...
Anyways, here's shit-show #1 from ol' Benny:

He claims it just fell off the sidestand. I prefer to believe he came up a little hot on the downed tree and lost the front end. Ya, that's it. Notice how he's all grins the first time. There would be no less than 7 more of these little episodes from him.

We grabbed some lunch in Lakeview OREGON and I had a phenomenal chicken, bacon, ranch taco. We then continued to blast through the route, ear to ear grins the whole time.

This was one of the cooler lookouts along the OBDR:

After the big view of Silver Lake we came across several trees blocking the trail. In an effort to make Benny not feel so bad, I made sure my bike took a couple naps along the way. This is at one of the first downed trees and it should be noted here that the old man also noticed that his tankbag was unzipped. He zips it up and we descend from the mountains down into Christmas Valley.

Then not too long after that, the F8 decides to have another quick lie down: (I really dont even remember this one, but it shows the moon dust and baby heads that were typical of the section down to Christmas Valley)

We pull into a little gas station and take a look at the maps. It's probably about 6 or 7 o'clock and the maps show Section 1 having a good chunk of desert riding remaining. (OBDR Route 5 is broken into 4 sections. Our goal was to ride a section a day- ambitious I know, but we had 3 days built in to get back home. I was planning a massive 1000+ mile ride back home in one day if we wanted to take a little more time on the OBDR).

While I'm looking at the maps (a little disappointed that after riding all day we still weren't even done with the first section) the old man comes up to me with a look on his face like his dog just died . He tells us that he lost his wallet and that it must have fallen out when his tankbag was unzipped. Oh jeez. Whelp, that rules out pushing through the desert to the end of Section 1. Fine by me honestly. We'd been riding hard all day and it was starting to get dark. But what that also meant is that we'd have to back track nearly an hour and HOPE that we found his CAMOUFLAGE wallet.

The good news though was that he had a pretty good idea of where it could've fallen out- somewhere between the Silver Lake vista and the first downed tree- maybe a 3 mile section. We gas up and take off back the direction we came in search of this wallet. After an hour or so I see a little camouflage square in the middle of this two-track road. AWESOME. If I had my pistol I think I would've fired about 5 magazines in the air out of sheer relief

It's almost 9 by this point and fortunately there's some pretty nice meadows with towering pine trees to set up camp. I think the old man has a pic of this place. We cooked up same ramen soup and threw in some salami. An excellent meal for sure and a great way to cap off an EXCELLENT day- lost wallet and all.

officerleroy screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 08:07 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

The wallet thing was pretty unnerving, to quote OfficerLeroy when he found it "It is a good thing that the ACU pattern is the least effective camouflage in the world!" The good news is we had a great campsite with a nice breeze which kept the mosquitos away. A quick equipment note, a sleeping bag rated for 45 degrees is OK as long as it stays around 50, at 40 it is a little cool. Good thing I had a fleece hat and some long underwear along.

OL is out on another adventure, this time likely on foot. I only have a couple of pics from Day 5 and I am sure he has better. I'll let him give you the details but it involves meeting some other folks doing the route, a "shortcut", a late night and a town with no gas or lodging.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5: "The Shortcut" Day

Day 5: Section 2 of OBDR. 243 miles. Moving avg 31.2, Moving time 8:38 (Total time just with GPS on was 12:38- it was a LONG day).

The start of Day 5 looked awfully familiar...oh ya, it was the third time we were seeing this section (thanks again old man! ). But seriously, I was still happy as a clam just to be in Oregon and riding off-road. The plan for today was to head back to Christmas Valley, tackle the desert section to the start of Section 2 and see how far we could get toward Section 3.

We were about to head out from the gas station in Christmas valley when another group of about 5 riders showed up. A couple 1100GS's, a black and yellow 800GS like mine, and pretty sweetly set up XR. Think they were from Portland and had a pretty nice sag wagon with them.

Here's a somewhat representative shot of what the initial desert stuff looked like:

TONS of open space with sage/rabbit brush. Kinda New Mexico-ish, not what I was expecting from Oregon.

Here's shit-show gettin' after it on a quicker gravel section (this may have been the day before).

We would quickly come to the OHV part of this section that had a couple dunes to ride if you wanted. Well, the sandy sections of the trail gave us all the sand riding we wanted.

It gave some of us a little more so. Here's Benny again showing us what it looks like to be dominated in the sand whoops. Good times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmh8U...ature=youtu.be (Sorry it's sideways, don't really know what I'm doin with videos.)

It was pretty slow going through the sand and there weren't many times to really pick up speed like the day before since the trail had tons of babyhead and bigger rocks and dust that really made you pick a line so your bike didn't just get trashed. There's another ride report goin on about the OBDR and they came across a yellow BMW that was having a yard sale. We came across a little bit of the wreckage. Here's what a tougher part looked like:

It's hard to say exactly what time it was but I'm going to guess around noon when I get to a fork in the trail and take a little look at the tracks and the map. The tracks showed a big "U" that was probably 5 miles long. The map however showed that if we went straight we could just meet up with the other side of the "U" and cut out a good 4 miles or so of the moon dust/babyhead riding that was starting to wear a little thin. The shortcut to the desert riding sounded pretty good. Especially when just yesterday we were so spoiled with the ripper fire roads that the old man and I were racing each other on at what some might consider unsafe speeds). So full blast ahead it is!!
This next little portion of the trip is where I think we were the closest to actual "adventure" riding.

The trail that was shown on the map started to get a little bit faint and sort of dissolve from 2-track to a very faint game trail. Then the trail just disappeared. From that point it turned into essentially motorized bushwacking through the 3-4' sage brush like this:

I don't know how long this continued but I eventually ran into a barb-wire fence (you can see in the pic) that was less than 200 yards or so away from where we were going to meet back up with the GPS tracks. AWESOME. The other two were a little behind me so I had a little time to look for a downed section or at least a weak spot in the fence. I found a section with a downed post that had potential for a crossing. Benny and Bronson show up and we think it over some more and decide to get another post to lay over the fence to ride across.

I feel like I've been a bit wordy for this day's report. So here's a couple pictures that depict much more adequately than I can write what we felt like after this seemingly endless desert sagewhacking/fence crossing festival:

It was another hour or so before we'd finally get to the highway that marked the end of Section 1. We had a little break, and had a little laugh about or shortcut and the wallet incident from the day before.

With our heads right, we take off on Section 2 that showed promises of an end to the desert and a return to the forested mountains. The riding was pretty much the same for the first stretch but with a couple sections that were substantially rockier:

After this though we continued to descend back into national forest riding. We weren't taking too many breaks either as we wanted to get as much of Section 2 done as possible or even better-end up in Seneca (The end of Section 2) for the night. That plan didn't hold up too long and we eventually had to look for a bailout point as we were running out of daylight and gas. I took a good look at the map and tried to redeem myself for the previous shortcut. I routed us out to an eventual paved county road that had no center or edglines, was about one lane wide, and followed a peaceful valley stream. One of the most scenic paved roads I've ever been on. I also don't think we even saw anyone else since leaving the OHV area outside of Christmas Valley.

The county road took us to about 40 miles or so northwest of Seneca with the sun giving that short-lived "golden" light before it got dark.

My trip computer also said I was going to run out of gas 20 miles before I'd make it to Seneca. Pfft, computers- they're just like "road closed" signs- all fact and no heart. This is what an F800GS trip computer looks like when it think it's out of gas:

Actually it eventually turns to "----". I was in a full tuck expecting to run out of gas, but I at least wanted to get to Seneca which was a "few" miles away. I see a couple barns in the distance that seem to be where Seneca should be. We roll into "town" though and find that the couple of barns were really about all there is to the town of Seneca. Balls.

It was about 9 at this point and we didn't really feel like setting up camp in Seneca. We were tired and wanted a hotel and a hot meal. The town of John Day promised these luxuries and was only a short maybe 45 mile ride north. John Day it was. We poured the two 1-liter gas cans into the DR and my bike and headed off.

We got there a little before 10 and quickly checked into a hotel before going straight to Dairy Queen which was about all that was open. Best DQ I've ever had.

Day 6: "The Perfect day" coming up next.

officerleroy screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 10:25 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote