Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #46
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post
After the combination of river crossings, tower climbing, and fast riding we felt like the original gangsters of ADVENTURE RIDING themselves, the godfathers Ewan and Charley. We took an appropriately posed picture of us in full adventure awesomeness:

Don't be confused by the striking similiariy, that isn't Ewan and Charley in that pic above, here's what those two look like:

I remembered seeing this picture years back and thinking what a bunch of posers (even if they actually were on a RTW trip). Even Benny and I's best attempt at spoofing Ewan and Charley didn't come out half as gay. Seriously why are they so close together??
Okay, enough making fun of Ewan and Charley. We splashed on some more Adventure cologne and continued on the amazing roads.

How did I miss this ride report?

"...we splashed on more Adventure cologne and continued on the amazing roads..."

F'ing hilarious!

I hope you had the scarves, too...

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #47
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Photoshop! Yep obvious Photoshop! Clearly a cover up for the actual incident
Photoshop? My photoshop Fu is weak, Grasshopper.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #48
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,610
Good job, now go on.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #49
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Mileage for this day came out to 219.

Again, careful to strictly follow all signs, we pushed our bikes out of the campground

Breakfast at that same little bar was just as good as the dinner the night before. It was an easy 1/2 pound of bacon.

Here's some of the filler shots- again unbeatable scenery and riding:

And now I'll address the "controversial" part. We only had another half day of riding off road, roads that we saw maybe 20 people on the entire time. I really didn't want to get in a jam with someone wadding up their bike by getting tired and or sloppy with their riding and putting a huge damper on the end of our trip. Just wanted to finish up nice and easy. Now, I'm not one to give safety briefs, and it went against everything i stand for, but less than 2 hours before the incident I said "alright guys, just a little bit more left, don't ruin this for me by having to haul your broke ass/bike to a who-knows-where hospital". We'd had our fun with flat out drag racing on gravel roads the days before so I figured of all people the old man would be okay with maybe toning it down a bit - or at least just upping your game for awhile. Needless to say it wasn't long before I came upon this:

First thought: "Are you kidding me!!?? After I gave my gay "safety talk"???" He was fine so I was relieved. Relieved that I didn't have to haul his broke ass/bike to the who-knows-where hospital. While there was indeed a broken strap, it's way too coincidental that it just so happened to occur while he was in the middle of getting carried away with lighting up the rear at every turn. He came in way too hot and lost it - don't care about the strap. Could've happened days ago (earlier he had ripped his iphone charging cord off and didn't even notice. In fact it was his style to not check his rear view mirror at all, I was left more than 15 minutes behind on the paved highway several times on the way up to Oregon...thanks dad!)

So that's what really happened.

We kept going and after a little while took a look at the maps. It was mid-afternoon and we had a full day of the official OBDR to get done. We could've done it but we chose to take a detour that lead to an eventual highway to Walla Walla, WA. Definitely a good call as it was still a pretty long day.

We get to our hotel in Walla Walla and Benny sets right about to the usual disassembly of his bike to see the damage of the day:

And that was it. The end of the OBDR for us. No epic adventure poem to end on. Just the end and 1300 miles of open western country highways to head back home. I may post some brief highlights of those couple days, and I still need to put up some of the goPro stuff.

I feel like this was a somewhat boring post so I'll throw in a little bonus RR highlight from this weekend. As such, I'll make the long story short: I talked the wife into going on a 3 day trip through Utah. Up to this point her biggest ride has only been a couple hours, so kind of a big deal. Alright, so no shit, there we were:

Leaving the ferry that crossed Lake Powell and headed to Natural Bridges National Monument. After about 20 miles or so the surroundings drop from the sandstone desert into a little canyon. I notice some cliff dwelling ruins off to the side. Cool, so I decide to whip back around and head toward them. There's some two tracks that start to head across a wash so I stopped a little beforehand about 200 yards or so from the ruins.

The ruins were in pretty decent shape

It was unbelievably quiet in the canyon next to the walls. The wife was pretty creeped out about mountain lions, bears, and haunted anasazi ghosts.

We head back down and I start to turn back to the road. As soon as I start I feel the back end start digging in and get a stuck, nothing too bad but just enough.

I killed it and spent a few mintues digging it out. I managed to get it turned around before running into even deeper sand. (I originally parked just short of those deep ruts you can see)

And same story. Stuck again but it didn't seem too deep. I dig for a few minutes and try to get it out.

This is how that attempt went:

BALLS. It's legit stuck now, up to the bashplate and the rear wheel is axle deep. We're in the middle of nowhere. We've got 8 ounces of water. We haven't seen another car yet, oh and there's possible mountain lions, bears, and freakin anasazi ghosts!!! Cue tears and sheer panic from the wife. Perfect. Note to the guys here: there is nothing you can say or do that will immediately calm down a girl in this condition. Don't even try. So I just start digging and the wife is freaking out. I tell her to go wait at the road to maybe flag down a car if one comes by.

My best idea was just to dig as much as I could out and put down some rocks so hopefully I could gain some traction. I was going to try and make a little path of rocks to go over. The wife finally settles down and I'm thinking there's a good chance we're just gonna have to end up camping here in the haunted canyon if the plan doesn't work out (I gave it maybe 50/50 odds). After about an hour of digging and hauling rocks I'm totally beat but at least have something to show for it:

It's hard to tell in the pic but that's a serious amount of sand moved and the "road" in front of the front whell is a decent incline. After I observe that the bike is too heavy (duh..) the wife says we should take the luggage off- BRILLIANT! I was thinking that but was so tired and just dead set on getting out that I don't think I would've done it if she hadn't said it.

So here we go, all or nothing. If this attempt didn't work I was going to just start setting up camp because it would be dark soon and we were out of water. Here's what happened:

SUCCESS!! There was so much emotion right here. I can't imagine how it would have been if it didn't work. Guaranteed no more two-up trips with the wife ever again. But it did work, and we went on to the natural bridges campground where we filled up our water and enjoyed some of the best camp food I've ever had - chicken/green chile casserole:

Both definitely glad to end up spending the night here instead of stuck in some canyon..
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #50
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Whatever.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson View Post
Whatever.
Just admit you got in over your head and lost it.
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #52
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Over my head? I don't think so.

Overcooked it? Maybe.

I want to say a couple of things about the trip. OL did a great job planning the whole trip and keeping us on track. I got to spend 10 days riding with my sons in some great scenery and had the time of my life.

Oh, and you can tell by his way of getting out of the jam he was in in his earlier post that he is a pretty good guy to have around.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #53
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
F'in awesome ! thanks officer Leroy
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #54
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,793
Thumb Thank you....

Awesome ride guys. Looks like a good time amd memories to last a lifetime.
Ride on!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #55
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson View Post

I want to say a couple of things about the trip. OL did a great job planning the whole trip and keeping us on track. I got to spend 10 days riding with my sons in some great scenery and had the time of my life.
Thanks for taking us along. looks like great time had with family.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #56
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post
Suprisingly though, the DR was able to cruise around 75-80. I had ridden the DR a couple times back in NM just to keep the battery fresh and make sure everything was good to go for this trip. That thing genuinely scared the shit out of me a couple times on the highway at speeds as mind-blowing as 75. The thing would start a nice easy head shake that could easy turn into a fullblown tank slapper. I would intentionally try to induce this headshake just to see if it was really that bad () and the thing would just start shaking. I thought for sure we'd be cruising at 65 all the way to Oregon. Turns out the bags and load really helped settle the DuR650 down.

nope just took some one with more experience

was good to met cya at captricks

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #57
officerleroy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
nope just took some one with more experience