User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 347
Kansas

With a son living in Denver, I have made the trip from Virginia to Colorado a few times and it always cracks me up when I see the sign that says "Kansas Tour Center". Who the hell goes to Kansas to tour Then for about a 50 mile stretch of I-70 you see the signs every few miles to stop and see the largest Prairie Dog in the world. So your all psyched up to see this monster and when you get there the damn thing is dead and stuffed.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
................ Then for about a 50 mile stretch of I-70 you see the signs every few miles to stop and see the largest Prairie Dog in the world. So your all psyched up to see this monster and when you get there the damn thing is dead and stuffed.
We gassed up at that exit. Glad we didn't go in, even though I did want to see the five legged cow.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 25,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
You got it.
Of all the beautiful sights I saw out there nothing compared to the chiseled good looks of that rugged manly man.

Yeah right

Good start...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
We're in; lovin' your ride report so far Kevin, keep it comin'! Oh and believe it or not, there is some sweet dual sport riding available in what most people believe to be boring and flat Kansas, check out the gallery at www.backroadstouring.org , I've been trying to get to their "Flint Hills Stampede" held in late June for years now, perhaps 2013 will be the year?

Jeff (SoPaRider) & Karen (SoPaGuider); proprietors of the "Motorcyclist Manor"
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

After deep sand riding school was over we left Socorro and headed for Pie Town to meet up with Lonestar. We passed the NRAO Very Large Array. Pomo can tell you more about it or you can read here. http://www.vla.nrao.edu/

Scott wanted me to take this picture, didn't seem like a good idea to me but what do I know.

After meeting Lonestar in Pie Town we officially hit the CDR. Lots of long fast stretches with just enough deep sand to jump up and bite you. The track put us back on black top and we were headed for Grants. We passes lava flows

and lots of great scenery I didn't know existed in New Mexico.

El Malpais:

Once we get to Grants NM we assess the beer situation and Scott and Steve(RenoB) head to Wal-Mart to get a soft side cooler. Once stocked up with the necessities of camp we head to Coal Mine campground where we meet Bill and Jack(JaxObsessed).

H14 screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 12:38 PM
Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
I've heard of altitude sickness but I've never seen it first hand. Apparently it affects people in different ways, when Scotty got it he became hell on wheels, flying through the deep sand and passing everybody with the rear wheel kicked out around every turn, and never whining about being tired. I've never seen anything like it.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,014
Scott must have been feeling like a 12 year old as well. Mybe Stacey should be careful next time he push past the clown going into a turn.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Scott must have been feeling like a 12 year old as well. Mybe Stacey should be careful next time he push past the clown going into a turn.
Oh yeah, he did mention that he would be gunning for Stacy when he got back.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,331
in!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

Tuesday Day 2 on the trail

We wake up the next morning and pack our gear wet. Jack, Bob(Lonestar), and Bill take the Alt and the rest of us resume riding the trail. We start off riding a National Forest road across a mountain and I'm thinking cool, something I'm more familiar with and no more sand.

But it was short lived. Soon we were back on flat land riding through wide open ranches dealing with more sand and dodging ruts. Thank God it wasn't raining then, this place would have to be impassable if it was muddy. It was a nice break riding though the arroyos.

It was a hot dry ride through here with not much sign of life. It would be a very bad place to get hurt or have a mechanical issue. The second half of the ride put us on a flat, straight rode that seemed to go on forever. In the distance I saw Patrick(Pomo) ride up a steep hill and hit a rut near the top, I thought he was going lose it and I knew Scott who was behind wouldn't try it so I passed. As I go by I see Scott veer off the road and hit the hill climb, must have been the altitude sickness still affecting him. He took that overloaded pig almost all the way to the top before it took a nap on him.

We get into the town of Cuba NM, eat lunch and wait on the rest of the crew. After lunch we find out Jack is having electrical issues and his bike is cutting out. We figure we're going to be there for a while so we get comfortable under the trees along the parking lot where we ate lunch. The rest of the guys show up around 5 and have diagnosed Jack has a bad battery, luckily Cuba has a Napa and has motorcycle batteries.

Jack gets his new battery installed and is good to go. We make our way to Clear Creek campground and camp in the rain again.

If you're looking for a hotel room and find yourself in Cuba, NM keep riding. Trust me.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
H14 OP
I Gotta Go!

Wendesday Day 3 on the trail

I think I need to talk to Guy Young about some new valve seals. My bike has picked up Scott's habit of smoking first thing in the morning.

I did smoke this little guy out of his hole.

But he was to quick to become breakfast.

H14 screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 02:05 PM
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
We passed many billboards with religious themes, one asked "where will you be spending eternity" and it was looking like the answer was Kansas.

Awesome. Can't wait to see the rest! Glad most of you guys got back safe.
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 264
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Cool ,kinda Darth Peachy, in a Darth Klown sorta way
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,816
Quote:
I think I need to talk to Guy Young about some new valve seals. My bike has picked up Scott's habit of smoking first thing in the morning.

Mine does the same thing. I just let it smoke. It's 16. that's old enough to smoke, right?

Great therad and RR. Talk a bit about your bike set up. Tires, seat, etc.

How did the big DR do out West?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
It was a hot dry ride through here with not much sign of life. It would be a very bad place to get hurt or have a mechanical issue. The second half of the ride put us on a flat, straight rode that seemed to go on forever. In the distance I saw Patrick(Pomo) ride up a steep hill and hit a rut near the top, I thought he was going lose it and I knew Scott who was behind wouldn't try it so I passed. As I go by I see Scott veer off the road and hit the hill climb, must have been the altitude sickness still affecting him. He took that overloaded pig almost all the way to the top before it took a nap on him.

I'm not usually prone to do stupid things (no really, I promise ) especially not on long distance trips. But this hill was calling my name and I had to oblige. Maybe I had a case of altitude sickness too, or maybe it's just something in the air out here in the West.

The shot doesn't really do it justice, the hill was massive and the climb up on the other side was at least twice as steep as the descent shown, with some whoops and ruts to boot.

Quote:
If you're looking for a hotel room and find yourself in Cuba, NM keep riding. Trust me.
They have good food there, though.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote