User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Buckeye Biker OP
Williston, ND

Oddometer: 23
New V-Strom: Ohio to North Dakota

I'm a new member to the forum, but I figured I'd skip the introduction and record my first trip! I just bought a 2012 V-Strom 650 in Columbus, OH and rode it back to where I'm working in Williston, ND. Fortunately, after putting a couple hundred miles on the V in Columbus, the 470 miles from "the heart of it all" to my friend's apartment in Madison, WI got me to the 600 mile service (and freedom from the 5000 rpm restriction by Suzuki)!

After the service and a great day exploring Madison (you badgers have a beautiful campus and city), I headed off on I-94 (thank goodness for highways) to Minneapolis to catch a Twins game with another friend. It was great to let the v-twin run above the invisible 5k rpm wall.

The long final leg of the trip from Minneapolis to Williston and my 6'5" height forced me to learn how to ride in some pretty creative positions to avoid the butt and knee pain caused by the first two days. I ran into my first rain just outside of Minot, ND, but I took the opportunity to eat at Schatz Crossroads Truckstop before finishing the ride into Williston. Their spicy cheeseburger soup was a pleasant surprise!

Total distance: 1362 miles
Total time: 26 hrs

I'm planning my next trip to Whitefish, MT to explore Glacier National Park. If anybody knows of any "must see" places in Montana, let me know!
Buckeye Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
xrjak
Day Dreamer

Oddometer: 17
Did I see your bike?

I Was in Williston today and saw a nice black Vee with panniers sitting on the street by TacoJohns. Yours? Was A great looking bike. xrjak
xrjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 831
Thumb

Ok.....started nice....riding writing taking pics.....you have sir done 2 of 3....dont stop you are doing well....
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Welcome noob . As a WeeStrom rider and being 5'8" with a bad knee and hip , I couldn't ride too far without my highway pegs mounted off of my skid plate . They make the day go much better . Don't forget around here , no pictures , it didn't happen . Enjoy the nut house
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Welcome

From another 650 V-Strom rider, born and raised in Columbus, just want to say hello and welcome. Glad your first road trip was a good one, make sure there are plenty more to follow! Now, all we need is a few pictures...
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I hope I did not ruin my bike. I did exceed 5000rpm, but not sustained. Everything as I know it works, I'm under 800 mile on the odometer.
Dirtbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
oldswimr
Flatlander

Born in Williston

I was born in Williston, in 1958. Dad was an oilfield worker there. Am picking up a new to me 2007 Wee-Strom Saturday, already outfitted. (read, 'NOOB') I'm in NC, planning trips to the BRP already.
oldswimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
You're gonna love the 'zuk, I have an '09 1000 and stretched it's legs on an Oklahoma trip this weekend. More impressed with the bike the more miles I put on. Word of advice, buy an airhawk for your distance rides. Made all the difference in the world. Barb has them for $59 right now in the clearance section on www.alaskanleather.com. Do it, your butt will thankyou
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Futo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Work in Williston ND?

A year ago, the news reported about tons of jobs available in Williston. I googled it and found a few site with people saying the reports were exaggerated and (at the time) at least a year late in reporting on the need for bodies. What kind of work are you doing? What's happening up there now? I HATE my stupid job and my DUMBASS boss.......
Futo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
In Southern Montana, Beartooth US 212 from Red Lodge towards Yellowstone is so awesome. You're crossing into Wyoming and if you don't want to go to Yellowstone, turn left on 296 Chief Joesph Highway and down to Cody or ??. Wind River Canyon is another great ride. Heck, I love all of Western Montana from the Canadian Border to Wyoming. :lol

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Buckeye Biker OP
Williston, ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrjak View Post
I Was in Williston today and saw a nice black Vee with panniers sitting on the street by TacoJohns. Yours? Was A great looking bike. xrjak

Yes, that was probably mine! I'm adding brush guards for the grips (to block wind) and some studded TKC 80s so I can keep riding on the snow/ice. I've been riding down to 10 degrees, but the snow won't melt and the stock tires are miserable on the slick stuff.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Buckeye Biker OP
Williston, ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar28 View Post
From another 650 V-Strom rider, born and raised in Columbus, just want to say hello and welcome. Glad your first road trip was a good one, make sure there are plenty more to follow! Now, all we need is a few pictures...
Wohnen Sie in Deutschland? Ich spreche ein Bisschen! It's always nice to meet another Ohioan, and I see that great minds have similar tastes in bikes.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Buckeye Biker OP
Williston, ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswimr View Post
I was born in Williston, in 1958. Dad was an oilfield worker there. Am picking up a new to me 2007 Wee-Strom Saturday, already outfitted. (read, 'NOOB') I'm in NC, planning trips to the BRP already.
I'm planning on taking a trip in the late fall to the East Coast. I'll be doing ~3000 miles around the West during a 3 week trip in May, so I'll need to save up vacation time before I can make it out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
Buckeye Biker OP
Williston, ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
In Southern Montana, Beartooth US 212 from Red Lodge towards Yellowstone is so awesome. You're crossing into Wyoming and if you don't want to go to Yellowstone, turn left on 296 Chief Joesph Highway and down to Cody or ??. Wind River Canyon is another great ride. Heck, I love all of Western Montana from the Canadian Border to Wyoming. :lol
One of my coworkers is from Montana, and he suggested the Beartooth ride to me as well. I'll be posting photos from a 1300 mile trip I took at the end of the summer through Glacier National Park and the Gallatin National Forest. It's a beautiful area!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 420
hey Buckeye -
I live in Missoula, MT. and I bought a new 2012 DL650 Adv. (Black) last April. I hope that you are enjoying your G as much as I am ! If you ever get back to western MT. give me a shout, we could take a ride together with these black beauties !
Im in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And its difficult to analyze love when youre in it." - John Steinbeck
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote