Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Awesome Paul!!!

JG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Terrific photos and an epic adventure.

lots more to come this is only about 35-40km's in, it hasn't even got interesting yet...or that high
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #1592
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,613
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #1593
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
lots more to come this is only about 35-40km's in, it hasn't even got interesting yet...or that high
Cool. Really enjoying this report and appreciate all your efforts!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #1594
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Views from the Bartang - part 4

This is the part where road slowly climbed to about 14,000+ feet...we had been told about this part by two bikers over dinner in karakol, they came from the west and had to climb it...its around 6 km of sand shale and slate, very loosely packed with a shear drop off to the side, the third one rider with them wasn't at dinner as he didn't make it

on the way up he burned out his clutch and had to stay the night on the side of the road, the other two arranged a jeep to go and get him, around a 60km drive that took 8 hours

he arrived at the homestay as we were leaving, now stranded in a small town instead of the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to get his bike out of the country as his visa was about to expire...just a side note, he passed his motorcycle license one week before he left the UK and was riding a CG125, for all of you that say you need the right bike, experience, time and money, not the case...he's 21

on our way up it was instantly recognizable the way they explained it, high above us we see four cyclists stopped at the side of the road. we stop to check if they are ok, four Spanish riders, three guys and a woman, she has altitude sickness and still has over 1000 feet climb before the decent of 6km, they refuse our help and tell us there is a yurt camp coming up in about 12km and they will recharge there for a few days, so we carry on...there was no yurt camp where they said and the section they were on i figure would have taken more than a day to do the next 7-8km as there was zero possibility of them riding at all

at the top right before the decent

photos never show how steep a road really is, just believe me this section is steep with 20-50 meter sections of nearly straight then a 180 on a edge...very slow going indeed

once at the bottom, it was a relief more for the fact of not having brake fade than anything else, it really didn't seem too bad but i felt for the cyclists and anyone heading in the other direction

we stopped for a break and Dave told me he was sponsored by "Draggin Jeans" and if i spotted any area that looked like a good photo op to take one...this area came next and he is in this first photo to give you a sense of scale

a little closer

Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #1595
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Wow, what an update!!! The scenery is amazing.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #1596
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

decided t stay where i am another night, i needed to buy insurance, and did...$1.60 for 15 days, then walked across the street to the supermarket and bought two sodas...$5...where's the logic

so i'll get another update or two coming across
Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #1597
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Views from the Bartang - part 5

the guys we met told us the Bartang is in sections...sand...washboard...river rock...mudslides...landslides...steep uphill...steep downhill...boulder fields...river crossings...no mention of perfect smooth roads here at all, unless you talk with a local

this was a multiple small river crossings from snow melt, my bike took a nap here when the front wheel clipped a basketball sized rock, for some reason i have done this more than a few times, guess i look toooooo far ahead

so not sure if i mentioned i don't like sand too much, who does??? river rock, another bad one, it is unpredictable over the top of sand, no way to get a consistent reaction, so here's a few k's of river rock and boulder over sand...oh friggin' joy

they said mudslide, and something about getting around it, i wasn't really paying too much interest as talked about it, they didn't mention the scale...try about four feet tall, 200 yards across with a small snow melt river running thru it, and no chance to ride thru as the sides had drops over 20 feet to get to the bottom, and i certainly didn't hear them say it was over 2 km's long from the mountain to the main river

the only option was to ride to the river and find a way across over fresh but solid mudslide, this in wet weather was a show stopper for sure, there were only a few very vague motorcycle tracks to see that disappeared and reappeared randomly depending on the quality of the surface...the scale here was amazing, it would have been something to see...from a distance

luckily at the bottom there was sections of dry and not wet muddy river bed to cross

then Dave's digital fuel gauge went onto reserve, no gas station on every corner out here, now we have a serious problem...,

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 06:44 AM
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #1598
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 739
The new camera is working great, love the new pics. Never really seen landscapes like that before, looks unreal, like on another planet! Must be one of those places where you feel so small when you look around.

BordenBmw screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 07:17 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #1599
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Fantastic ride report

Thank you for a fantastic report, your'e getting better at it all the time.

Photos are really great.

The young guy on the 125, incredible.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #1600
hady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
borneo

Quote:

just caught with your report, thanks for such amazing free entertainment
i see you want to visit borneo (indonesian part) on your rtw trip, shiping bike from java to west borneo will cost you max $100 as for plane ticket under $150, let me know, if you need more info. everybody doing RTW trip, but nobody i've found doing borneo, indonesian part.
Attached Images

hady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1601
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 984
Simply amazing! Just wonder how do you actually "navigate" if that term can be used, GPS way-points perhaps or just visual aiming to reach one mountain or the other... I can see the "route" is anything but predictable. Good that you are over the sandy parts without any issues.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #1602
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
eerrrr yea, almost all of it, not enough ground clearance and too much weight
I was gonna ask if you had seen any 1200GS's at the Starbucks out there?

Great Report,truly epic!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #1603
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Thank you for a fantastic report, your'e getting better at it all the time.

Photos are really great.

The young guy on the 125, incredible.

dave
i dropped him a message to try and get a few photos from him to add here, he's had quite the adventure and his photos were amazing...he is one crazy bastard, he'll fit right in here if i can get him to post
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #1604
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hady View Post
just caught with your report, thanks for such amazing free entertainment
i see you want to visit borneo (indonesian part) on your rtw trip, shiping bike from java to west borneo will cost you max $100 as for plane ticket under $150, let me know, if you need more info. everybody doing RTW trip, but nobody i've found doing borneo, indonesian part.
that looks like fun i will contact you when i'm close...but it won't be for a few years
Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #1605
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Simply amazing! Just wonder how do you actually "navigate" if that term can be used, GPS way-points perhaps or just visual aiming to reach one mountain or the other... I can see the "route" is anything but predictable. Good that you are over the sandy parts without any issues.
i actually drew the route out on ridewithgps.com so i had it for a base and it was accurate, areas that you veered off line it gave you a direction to head to, honestly once you were out there the options were pretty limited, carry on in the same direction or die ...