Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #406
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,790
i have a matching xray just like that (not on this computer) but my right leg, so i know how that one feels exactly, screws and all, looks like your was a lot cleaner than mine was, mine was shattered into about 50 pieces, plus a snapped ankle at the same time...

hope you got her to wash your bike once she was finished with her other chores
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #407
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

people of Antigua

a few select people of antigua, week one

Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #408
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Yeah I kinda remember thinking I will just be in Venezuela for 3 or 4 weeks and hell what do you know before too long at all I was looking for another 3 month TIP extension Venezuela is a fun place and only gets better knowing the right people in county And oh the gas

Got some nice photos going Paul, practice hard on the Spanish but not too hard or you may never escape Cuba btw I hope you are not married...

I was rough looking and things just happen way too easy

Goodtimes!
She's playing Pocket pool and the Ref is a Prick
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #409
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
She's playing Pocket pool and the Ref is a Prick
i'm leaving that one alone!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #410
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,303
Nice pics! People's faces tell us so much.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #411
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Great photos - what camera/ lens do you use.
Thanks for the report
Cheers Rob
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #412
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 266
Looks like you're having a good time! In honor of your spanish language classes, I broke open the Rosetta Stone. Let's see how much progress I make without a sleeping dictionary.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #413
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Great photos - what camera/ lens do you use.
Thanks for the report
Cheers Rob
i have a point and shoot around my neck on a lanyard for riding when i'm riding its a samsung MV800, reason for that one was , easy to use, i take a lot of shots when i'm riding with my left hand, also it takes panoramic shots both vertically and horizontally, and has a folding screen for self portraits which is also good for video....got an amazing price on it on eBays daily deals $110

the other camera i use is a DSLR Canon 550 with a 18-200 lens...i use a graduated filter on most shots which makes a big difference on colors, it makes them a lot richer and truer, if i do anything after the fact its crop and adjust maybe brightness, using Picasa, and if need be i hit the 'feeling lucky' button - unless i am looking for a dramatic effect or B&W or sepia of course. I also do some post production work with Photomatix if i have a shot that i want to spend some time on for HDR effects
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #414
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Looks like you're having a good time! In honor of your spanish language classes, I broke open the Rosetta Stone. Let's see how much progress I make without a sleeping dictionary.
i found to late but you have loads of time, you may want to look into doing some lessons on skype, my school (www.spanishtraveling.com) does them for $10 an hour, at least that way you can get some interaction and correction that the CD can't give you...but you live in New Mexico i guess you could just go to the supermarket and do the same thing
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #415
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

more views from around Antigua...

you may want to read this to realize how lucky you have it...

i had a walk around the Santa Domingo Hotel, Antiguas most expensive at about $400 - $500 a night and up. it was built on the grounds of an ld convent and they have let a lot of the original areas stay which makes it an interesting places to look around

under some of the hotel they found some burial plots and left them in place...

da bells...

i don't know why this looked like a set up for a Ku Klux Klan meeting to me

Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #416
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

on sunday i went to the market at Chichicastenango...to describe the place??? It is a visual overload for the eyes, the colors are intense, the crowd is pure chaos, and the vibe is bedlam, and add to this and the smell of incense burning from the steps of San Tomas church...if you come to Guatemala this is a MUST SEE location it is on twice a week, thursday and sunday but the sunday market is the best

this is part one...

i found parking in a house from a local and his son told me he was security and NOTHING would happen to the bikes...this is him

then he told me if there is a problem his sisters would help him out!!!!

it was just a good vibe so we left the bikes - nothing happened to them BTW

crossing the street and turned a corner into the market and this was the first view

this is the main Church, San Tomas, this where the flower sellers are and standing on the top steps you get a good view of the market...there are 18 steps to relate to the 18 months of the Mayan calender

more to come...
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #417
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the following photo is a story all in itself...

i am standing looking up at the church and i see this old Mayan lady looking off to the side, i have a perfect profile shot of her, i lift my camera and right as i press the shutter she turns and looks me dead in the eye down my lens!!! She is sitting on the bottom step of 18 that relate to the Mayan calendars 18 months

she starts screaming at me about stealing her spirit and then grabs a handfull of petals that she is selling for locals to go inside and pray with and throws them at me very aggressively, still shouting. I apologize but she won't have any of it so i walk away...i go to take another random photo and my SD card is full...i grab another card and put it in the camera, i check to see it is loaded and look how many shots i have on the card?

the number is 666

Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #418
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,061
Amazing RR. Great read. It took me about three days to read it in bits and pieces.

I don't know what your return route is, but if you happen to come through Tucson AZ you're welcome to my spare bedroom and you can stick the bike in the garage.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #419
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,303
Paul, does "Stealing my spirit" mean, you need to pay me a modeling fee? I was told once that that was what it was really about.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #420
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I am really jealous! Guess I have to put Antigua on my bucket list.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote