Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #511
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
Paul , Great way of describing the crossings by using the yellow letters over the said location.

hopefully anyone riding south will find the info useful to help save them some time and no hassle from unnecessary fixers
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #512
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

stuck in the middle of Costa Rica due to heavy rains, so no riding today but between rain showers went for a walk and spotted this crazy advertisement

so it reads basically...you do not dare reveal their taste...what the fu@k does that have to do with a wrestler and two ostriches? any one from Costa Rica wish to answer that one?

and walking along the street i see this...

so if you are slightly bothered about big bugs just letting you know they live here and are in the middle of a big building development

OK, normal ADV service will be resumed as soon as all this water stops falling out of the sky from this storm that was the size of the whole country, this just before it hit...hopefully tomorrow

Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #513
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
hopefully anyone riding south will find the info useful to help save them some time and no hassle from unnecessary fixers
Yes , very useful. Thanks again for your upated fotos info.

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 10:56 AM
Habibi Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #514
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Paul, very usefull description. Would like, I have something like this, for Chile-Peru Borders. Chile-Argentinia Borders. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #515
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
The sign is an advertisement for new flavors of Trident chewing gum.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #516
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
The sign is an advertisement for new flavors of Trident chewing gum.
oh, that part i know but why the ostrichs? whats the meaning?

i asked and know one here knew, they just laughed, i guess it lost something in the translation
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #517
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Paul, very usefull description. Would like, I have something like this, for Chile-Peru Borders. Chile-Argentinia Borders. . .
drop a PM to radioman he is down there right now and he takes loads of photos i'm sure he can hook you up...tell him i sent you

I did them last year and they are a breeze in comparison to central america, at one of the crossings arg/ chile the officials sat next to each other and just hand info to each other...most of them we 45 minutes or less from memory
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #518
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Alex and Andreea (anjinsan) which he tells me is Japanese for mister pilot....they met up in La Fortuna and we rode to the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica today

it was a day full of rain and one of the only dry moments was when we pulled into a little 'soda' road side restaurant full with truck drivers, the owner came over and gave us a shot of some kind of chocolate liquor which when we looked around everyone had a shot...then the cops arrived...for there lunch and the shot glasses disappeared and the cook went to work over her open flame

heading out towards Puerto Limon where some of your bananas come from after being grown in blue plastic bags on the trees

not too much to see all day in the rain, riding in the cloud forest was just like riding in fog with zero views, until getting close to the container port, not great scenery

and some very poor areas over this side, a lot different from around the lake

finally the rain stopped on the last leg to Cahuita

hopefully some better photos tomorrow heading into Panama via Sixola
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #519
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
hopefully some better photos tomorrow heading into Panama via Sixola
I just caught up with your RR - amazing stuff! Too bad you're leaving for Panama today - I definitely would have bought you a beer while you were in CR! If you happen to delay your crossing to PTY for any reason, let me know and i might be able to ride down to Cahuita / Puerto Viejo on Friday or Saturday.

The road from Sixaola back to the PanAm (Chiriqui) is pretty nice - hopefully you'll get a sunny day. All the best and ride safe!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #520
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
I just caught up with your RR - amazing stuff! Too bad you're leaving for Panama today - I definitely would have bought you a beer while you were in CR! If you happen to delay your crossing to PTY for any reason, let me know and i might be able to ride down to Cahuita / Puerto Viejo on Friday or Saturday.

The road from Sixaola back to the PanAm (Chiriqui) is pretty nice - hopefully you'll get a sunny day. All the best and ride safe!
i left an hour before you sent this!!! I'm in David tonight...maybe next time, but thanks for the offer and i had an extra beer tonight to cover that one
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #521
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Left Cahuita in the rain all the way to the frontera, stood in line there in the rain and most of the way to David it rained off and on, had the camera in the tank bag and pulled it out to take this totally below average riding shots...of some small indigenous houses/ plots, a little cloud forest etc

highlight of the day was getting pulled up for speeding and again (panamanian policeman's christmas fund is taking dollars if you want to contribute) all i say is "No Fumar Espanol!"...the reply i get is "senor, que?" and a smile, five minutes later, sent on my way for 57 in a 40, where the sign actually said 60, and he pointed it at a local car and then wanted me to agree it was my speed, i just laughed in his face

border crossing info coming soon...just need to edit the photos and instructions

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #522
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Costa Rica to Panama border crossing at Sixola

i have just finished writing a Central America Border Crossing Guide.. "A step by step guide for crossing the notoriously difficult Central America borders, showing pictures of buildings, paperwork, fees, tips...with this book you find your way south a breeze".

Hardback, softback and PDF version HERE

ebook for all Apple products ibooks ipad format HERE

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #523
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,364
Paul, I keep seeing numerous people on Adventure Rider saying "No Fumar espanol" when wanting to communicate that they don't speak Spanish. I was taught to say "mi no habla espanol" in high school Spanish. I looked up "fumar" in the dictionary and it says that it means "to smoke"? I am not doubting you or the numerous others who use the word "fumar" on Adventure Rider, but I am curious about how this colloquialism came to be? Is the word "fumar" used through out Latin America of just certain areas. Thanks.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #524
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Paul, I keep seeing numerous people on Adventure Rider saying "No Fumar espanol" when wanting to communicate that they don't speak Spanish. I was taught to say "mi no habla espanol" in high school Spanish. I looked up "fumar" in the dictionary and it says that it means "to smoke"? I am not doubting you or the numerous others who use the word "fumar" on Adventure Rider, but I am curious about how this colloquialism came to be? Is the word "fumar" used through out Latin America of just certain areas. Thanks.
Check out this ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881 it will tell the story of No Fumar Espanol!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #525
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,364
Paul, I keep seeing numerous people on Adventure Rider saying "No Fumar espanol" when wanting to communicate that they don't speak Spanish. I was taught to say "mi no habla espanol" in high school Spanish. I looked up "fumar" in the dictionary and it says that it means "to smoke"? I am not doubting you or the numerous others who use the word "fumar" on Adventure Rider, but I am curious about how this colloquialism came to be? Is the word "fumar" used through out Latin America of just certain areas, or did I just completely miss the boat on the humor of the situation? Thanks.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote