Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #556
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Paul,

Orvar, from Sweden, should be crossing into Mexico tomorrow on his way to TDF. I heard there was a freighter taking bikes from Panama to Colombia but have no info to give him. Have you heard about this? StahlRat is booked during his trip so he'll have to air ship or try this freighter.

Thanks,

Schizz

Not sure about any freighter, but if you are thinking of the ferry, it's still wishful thinking.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...colombia+ferry

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #557
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Paul,

Orvar, from Sweden, should be crossing into Mexico tomorrow on his way to TDF. I heard there was a freighter taking bikes from Panama to Colombia but have no info to give him. Have you heard about this? StahlRat is booked during his trip so he'll have to air ship or try this freighter.

Thanks,

Schizz
i met an English guy about a week back who caught a freighter from Turbo (Col) to Colon (Pan), he said the captain had no problems carrying bikes but had nothing to do with the clearing at either end, it was $320 inclusive and south to north it was ten days, and north to south it would be at least 20 days...the guy said he found out about it on a thread, so i'm guessing its buried somewhere in HU's 60,000 thread pages

he did say that there were plenty of ships in the port that when questioned seemed OK to carry a bike but not many to also allowing you on as a passenger

one thing that people might want to know is the Stahlratte will not be around forever, the foundation that owns it is considering a move, they were very open about talking about the subject of the move, so i guess they will make an official announcement about it when the decision is made, but that would mean no more motorcycles as the 150 people in the foundation struggle to get on the Rat right now and they want to sail to new places
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #558
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

so as the readers of my ride report seem to like photos and NOT comment too much, only a select few seem to do that for some reason - then here is the mother load of photos for you...after 110,000 views to this point there are just that select few that have dared to come out of the darkness...lets see if this lot will lure the lurkers to make their first scary post and be known to the world

the Kuna ladies wear very tiny beads around their legs, and it appears it keeps them slim, not unlike the bound feet of latter year Chinese

so we headed into the island for an unknown night of what????

well it was simply walking around the very small island that sits maybe 8 - 10 inches above sea level, talking with the locals and taking in the sights, like the following

Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #559
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
[QUOTE=rtwpaul;20250236]so as the readers of my ride report seem to like photos and NOT comment too much, only a select few seem to do that for some reason - then here is the mother load of photos for you...after 110,000 views to this point there are just that select few that have dared to come out of the darkness...lets see if this lot will lure the lurkers to make their first scary post and be known to the world

Great pics. They look poor, but well fed and happy.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #560
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Day 2 was back on the Stahlratte and off to a smaller island in Carti for a BBQ and some chilling out for the rest of the day

Day 3 a sea day, it was slow going with swells ranging from 10 to 20 feet, the Stahlratte was getting thrown all over the place, people were getting very sick, the Captain FiFi, (LULU is on vacation) said it was the worst he can remember...lucky us

Day 4 the sea was still very rough, but to make things worse the engine failed, it burned up an exhaust valve when we were 60 miles from Cartagena, I was called over and asked if it would be possible for me to weld up the problem, I did this the first time but the pressure from the motor blew another hole in the valve, two hours later I re-welded the valve and this time the engine could build enough pressure to run but only at about 50% power so we sailed very slowly towards Cartagena and arrived one day late, (new engine parts were ordered once we reached the dock) and of course just late enough to miss customs for clearance, so an extra day is now scheduled in Cartagena
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #561
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Long day starting at 5.15 am to get up and be at the dock by 6 amit was unloading day from the Stahlratte

photo below is not me...but you get the idea

this also means sitting in Columbian Aduana almost the whole day whilst they clear all the paperwork and get you thru

Im not sure if the process from the Columbian authorities is more difficult when you arrive by boat compared to arriving by land or air but if time is the judge and having personally done all the other options it must be very difficult because once the bikes were at the Aduana building at 8 am sharp as requested it wasnt until 4.30pm when we were all cleared and officially entered into Columbia, including the insurance as well

With a full day like that I finished it off with a tire at the hostal surrounded by 17 other bikes (that i'd been carrying since Antigua) chain and sprocket change and basically was done for the day

the next day was spent walking the streets of old Cartagena

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #562
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,311
nice!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #563
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
yup...

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #564
Kiwi Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
this is 3 of the riders, Ryan, Dylan and phil

Hola Paul, if you see Phil again, (Yellow 2012 V Strom) pass on my regards from me, (David from Vancouver BC), do you know if he has a blog?
BTW awesome RR and the photos are spectacular, nice job.

Cheers,

Kiwi Canuck
Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #565
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post

Hola Paul, if you see Phil again, (Yellow 2012 V Strom) pass on my regards from me, (David from Vancouver BC), do you know if he has a blog?
BTW awesome RR and the photos are spectacular, nice job.

Cheers,

Kiwi Canuck
sending you a PM with the info, he is leaving cartagena tomorrow heading south
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #566
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 2,974
Thumb

Still enjoying the awesome photographs! Keep up the great work.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #567
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post

Great pics. They look poor, but well fed and happy.
outrageously poor, but all very happy, almost everyone was smiling until i pointed a camera at them, the kids love it to see their photo, they smiled at everything
Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #568
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Still enjoying the awesome photographs! Keep up the great work.
thanks man, glad to see you are still enjoying the images
Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #569
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,447
yeah, man.... you gotta great eye, take some great pics.... please keep it up!...
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #570
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,393
Lovin the report Paul. Check it everyday to see what's new with you. Thanks for all the time and work to share your awesome journey with us. The only way most of us will ever see and learn about these countries is though people like you. Thanks.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote