Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #616
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
Good to see you're still having fun...great pics. If only the World would allow me to ride along beside you instead of from behind a keyboard! Keep the shiny side up!

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #617
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Paul:
A little late to the party, but raring to go nevertheless. Happy to be along for the ride, and looking forward to RTW through your eyes. Jumped in from JDowns.
good to have you along, the more the merrier
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #618
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 293
Been reading this a little at a time for the last few days. Finally caught up to present day... Looks like an absolute blast!

How difficult would it be to get one of the little Tenere's into the states?
Coming Soon... 2004 BMW R 1150 RT; Gone Soon... 2009 Husqvarna TE 310; Gone, but fondly remembered... 2003 KTM 640 Adventure
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #619
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat719 View Post
Been reading this a little at a time for the last few days. Finally caught up to present day... Looks like an absolute blast!

How difficult would it be to get one of the little Tenere's into the states?

your timing might be perfect....

you know there are three different tenere bikes?

250 (baby tenere) sold in europe and brazil i believe
xt660z - my bike
1200 super tenere

so figuring you are talking about mine then, kind of difficult getting one new, it would have to be a gray import, and could be bought in Mexico as the closest location that sells them, but i never saw one when i was there, even the Yamaha dealers i met have yet to see one

i would do a search on ebay, the UK site and look at prices and then getting in touch with an importer to see what your fees would be, also you local DMV will want a slice of the pie too, i used to import and export bikes years ago and its not that difficult

...but i am considering selling mine, not 100% just yet, but it is a possibility as i am thinking of changing to a WR250R for the rest of the world as my next destinations are either Africa or the Far East and then mongolia and the stans where a lighter bike would be so much better and of course it would save me huge on shipping
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #620
wellsit
Recently Parolled

Oddometer: 13
Hey Paul, Great report! Your pictures are excellent and your descriptions are very intriguing. I've been reading from start to present. You're very motivating. Thank you and keep it coming.
wellsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #621
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
your timing might be perfect....
you know there are three different tenere bikes?

250 (baby tenere) sold in europe and brazil i believe
xt660z - my bike
1200 super tenere
Here is a brief rundown of the Tenere. Goes back to 1983.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...yamaha-tenere/

Did not know there was a 250. Makes perfect sense of course.

Quote:
i would do a search on ebay, the UK site and look at prices and then getting in touch with an importer to see what your fees would be, also you local DMV will want a slice of the pie too, i used to import and export bikes years ago and its not that difficult
Sadly, in the US it's now pretty hard to import or register anything that did not originate in the USA with a USA VIN #. This has really tightened up in the last 5 to 7 years. You can't even register a bike from Canada. There are a few states where you might slip by ... not many.

The good news is a "tourist" on a foreign registered/plated bike and NON US passport can ride around in the US for years (Visa permitting) ... but you can't be a US citizen or US resident on a foreign plated bike. If you're stopped, cops we'll write a ticket requiring you to register the bike. This may be a problem! DMV computer will RED FLAG any non US VIN number ... no go.

There are a few circumstances where you can get round this: Diplomat, Military, US Govt., Dealer ... but not so easy now. A good friend used to import limited edition Porches ... no longer. Too much expense and hassle. Basically not practical.

Quote:
...but i am considering selling mine, not 100% just yet, but it is a possibility as i am thinking of changing to a WR250R for the rest of the world as my next destinations are either Africa or the Far East and then mongolia and the stans where a lighter bike would be so much better and of course it would save me huge on shipping
Cool, good little bike! I'm trying to put together an Asia trip. I plan to buy something in Vietnam and re-sell after trip. For Africa? No idea, I've only done Morocco ... and only a tiny bit of it. Big place.

Since your 660 Tenere' is not imported to the USA ... I thought for an Africa trip I'd start the trip in the UK. Buy a nice used Tenere' there, ride down to Spain, cross over and head into Africa. Re-sell the Tenere' once back in UK ... or maybe in S. Africa? I bought a used bike in the UK some years ago. No problem at all. Re-sold 4 years later.

I also like some of plain XT 660's sold in the EU. A bit lighter, cheaper.

Shipping motorcycles has got to be SO out of hand $$$$... my inclination is to buy locally and avoid the major hassle and expense of shipping/air freight.

Looking forward to more great reporting!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #622
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Here is a brief rundown of the Tenere. Goes back to 1983.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...yamaha-tenere/

Did not know there was a 250. Makes perfect sense of course.

Sadly, in the US it's now pretty hard to import or register anything that did not originate in the USA with a USA VIN #. This has really tightened up in the last 5 to 7 years. You can't even register a bike from Canada. There are a few states where you might slip by ... not many.

The good news is a "tourist" on a foreign registered/plated bike and NON US passport can ride around in the US for years (Visa permitting) ... but you can't be a US citizen or US resident on a foreign plated bike. If you're stopped, cops we'll write a ticket requiring you to register the bike. This may be a problem! DMV computer will RED FLAG any non US VIN number ... no go.

There are a few circumstances where you can get round this: Diplomat, Military, US Govt., Dealer ... but not so easy now. A good friend used to import limited edition Porches ... no longer. Too much expense and hassle. Basically not practical.

Cool, good little bike! I'm trying to put together an Asia trip. I plan to buy something in Vietnam and re-sell after trip. For Africa? No idea, I've only done Morocco ... and only a tiny bit of it. Big place.

Since your 660 Tenere' is not imported to the USA ... I thought for an Africa trip I'd start the trip in the UK. Buy a nice used Tenere' there, ride down to Spain, cross over and head into Africa. Re-sell the Tenere' once back in UK ... or maybe in S. Africa? I bought a used bike in the UK some years ago. No problem at all. Re-sold 4 years later.

I also like some of plain XT 660's sold in the EU. A bit lighter, cheaper.

Shipping motorcycles has got to be SO out of hand $$$$... my inclination is to buy locally and avoid the major hassle and expense of shipping/air freight.

Looking forward to more great reporting!
it has been quite a few years since i did some import export so as the EPA has stepped in on everything else then why wouldn't they poke there nose in on imports too...

i do agree with your point of view on shipping that it is now getting out of hand price wise, the only issue i have of buying locally is not having the bike set up how i want it to be, as a rider who will be on the road for years and years this is a big issue, also i have a preference for hard luggage and buying a bike locally usually means bringing in your own soft luggage when you fly in

the one place where i wouldn't be on my own bike is China as the fees are way out of hand, i would contact a Chinese rider i know and buy a bike for that (a 250cc) and ride then sell once done, just rode with Frankie from advchina.com and he had good info on that

have you watched Top Gear (uk version) of them riding in Vietnam, its on Netfilx...if not its worth watching

you'll enjoy exploring Morocco, i lived there in the late 80's and its a blast
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #623
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
um...

2003 KLR685 – gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #624
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletron View Post
back at ya
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #625
akaJayson
Gremlin Cooker

Oddometer: 8
Amazing pic...

Figure I need to ask permission before I use this as my desktop background...this pic is amazing.
Great ride report, thanks for the epic story and images.

Quote:
both of us were very tired from virtually no sleep the night before, we took a easy ride out of Valley of the Gods and thru the canyons for the rest of the day, with a storm brewing to our west the whole day, but not one single drop of rain…result finally.

We headed towards Green River UT, using old route 24 the land is being reclaimed and soon this road will disappear back in to the desert.

Got in the state park early and did a little minor maintenance and had a few beers, by 8.30 the storm caught up with us and it another night with the sound of rain on the outside of the tent
akaJayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #626
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaJayson View Post
Figure I need to ask permission before I use this as my desktop background...this pic is amazing.
Great ride report, thanks for the epic story and images.

sure not a problem, thanks for the compliment, if you want to PM me your email i can send you a full size version and if, and only if you are happy maybe you could make a donation to my beer/ gas fund on my website like others have done so i can keep riding and posting new images

rtwpaul
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #627
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,971

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #628
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
Been in, still in, caught up. Great RR! Pics, narrative, all of it. Thanks for the effort! Will significantly add to my Holiday time off from the grind.

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #629
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Thanks for the pic! Really excellent.

I have some items on Ebay currently. Toyota parts, etc. Whatever they sell for is headed your way via the donate tab on your page. Please use at least $1 of it for beer.

Be safe. Thanks for the awesome RR!
andy

thanks for doing that, and yes this time of year a good portion will go into the libation fund

paul
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #630
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Nice to see your posts again.
Great pics as always amigo.
I have plenty of time now to check ride reports so please keep at it.
Doctor ordered me 15 days rest, so I'll be looking forward to them.
I'm disappointed we couldn't ride in Ecuador (or have some beers here as I'm on a ton of meds right now), but happy I'm alive and will have another chance.
Ride safe,
Buen viaje!
get well soon Silviu and listen to that doctors advise, no sneaking out when no ones looking a for a little christmas ride, pop a few pills and look at the pretty lights...