Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #901
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
not really back on the road completely, doing some break in rides on the new bike, i don't like to leave the country on a bike with less than 5000 miles on the clock, so still in a holding pattern while i sell more of my crap before i can take off again...but soon, can't wait
Define soon. I've been waiting patiently for this one to continue. You have an estimated time of departure? How much stuff do you still have to sell?
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #902
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Define soon. I've been waiting patiently for this one to continue. You have an estimated time of departure? How much stuff do you still have to sell?
patience is a virtue, i have 9 bikes to sell, a truck and trailer and the remaining stock from my motorcycle shop which is about 1000 +/- parts (down from 50,000)

a few of them...

but it will be worth the wait, just as a teaser here's the rough route in black (red done 101,000kms, blue shipping green is a maybe) estimated start date is fall 2014, it starts with me shipping the bike from LA to NZ then follow the line from there, so stay subscribed and miraculously you'll know as soon as travelling again...in the mean time i'm in Vegas so if you are ever over this way get in touch

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #903
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Whoa! How long do you anticipate that epic journey taking?!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #904
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hey! Don't forget Cuba; we're still waiting for that one :)
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #905
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,391
I saw an episode of Top Gear where they bought motorcycles and went south to north in Vietnam. Looked amazing. Any thoughts of going to that part of Asia?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #906
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
Whoa! How long do you anticipate that epic journey taking?!
i really have no time limit once i start again...no real destinations set in stone, no agendas, so no rush at all, i'll be stopping a lot, maybe days/ weeks/ months at a time if i like a place...so lets keep it vague and say i have 5 to 15 years as an approximate timeline but don't be surprised if its longer
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #907
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetman View Post
Hey! Don't forget Cuba; we're still waiting for that one :)
dave i'll drop in towards the end of the first lap!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I saw an episode of Top Gear where they bought motorcycles and went south to north in Vietnam. Looked amazing. Any thoughts of going to that part of Asia?

JG
love that episode, i think its my favorite and close second was the south america/ amazon one...

right now i am working with a lot of Asians, from Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia & China so getting so good intel and even offers of places to stay with families and food suggestions...i think i may loose some weight

I have a friend in China who can buy me a bike and sell it for me when i finish as i don't want to pay the exorbitant fees to ride my own bike there and be restricted by a government guide by my side 24 hours a day

so basically i would come in from the south of Thailand, head into Cambodia, then north to Laos, cross the border somewhere into Vietnam and ride southbound (doing the opposite of Jeremy and the boys) loop back into Cambodia then Thailand...

i was just at Overland Expo and spoke to a friend who spoke with someone who had just ridden across Myanmar, so thats looking good by the time i get there hopefully it has opened up more and is an easier passage, so waiting on details (this would eliminate the Bangkok/ Katmandu flight and freight) then this would also open up Bhutan as a possible stop over as they have opened their borders if somewhat restricted right now, it still looks promising

so it kind of looks like this - very vague and by no means accurate but its gives you an idea of direction

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #908
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 518
Quote:

Awe-inspiring!

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #909
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:

estimated start date is fall 2014...

in the mean time i'm in Vegas so if you are ever over this way get in touch

I'll keep you in mind if I ever venture your way. Sounds like your first 100,000 km only whetted your appetite for more!

While you are in your holding pattern, what are you doing for work? I imagine you got a job to start socking away some extra dough to fund RTW part 2.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #910
IRIDE56
Mike

Oddometer: 35
Holy crap I am envies as all get out, I am 5 months into my departure to Mexico and through Brazil for a year or so,11-01-13 And I am going nuts over all the what ifs and what knots,
Your just plan crazy and I would love to be in your shoes....
What a dream, Do you know how many people that just can dream about what you are doing? I hope you made the right choice in bikes. Your Yamaha seemed like a ROCK.... But I know nothing about KTMs
Good luck,
Mike
IRIDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #911
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Sounds like your first 100,000 km only whetted your appetite for more!

While you are in your holding pattern, what are you doing for work? I imagine you got a job to start socking away some extra dough to fund RTW part 2.
first 100k felt like a test ride for whats to come...the job is well, just a job, its more about getting rid of all my stuff and not having to pay storage fees for 10-15 years to come back to a pile of rust and garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDE56 View Post
Your just plan crazy and I would love to be in your shoes....
What a dream, Do you know how many people that just can dream about what you are doing? I hope you made the right choice in bikes. Your Yamaha seemed like a ROCK.... But I know nothing about KTMs
Good luck,
Mike
the plan is crazy but its doable for sure, it takes quite a bit of dedication to even think about a ride like this and eliminate everything else in your life...sure the XT was great and still is, but i felt restricted to where i could ride it, those restrictions are lifted now with the KTM so i'll be looking for a lot more dirt as i go along and finding more remote places
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #912
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
first 100k felt like a test ride for whats to come...the job is well, just a job, its more about getting rid of all my stuff and not having to pay storage fees for 10-15 years to come back to a pile of rust and garbage

the plan is crazy but its doable for sure, it takes quite a bit of dedication to even think about a ride like this and eliminate everything else in your life...sure the XT was great and still is, but i felt restricted to where i could ride it, those restrictions are lifted now with the KTM so i'll be looking for a lot more dirt as i go along and finding more remote places
That's a major commitment ... sounds like you've thought it through and have enough Road Time to assess what being on the road truly means.
Very wise to take the time to "clear the decks" at home so no complications later.

I attempted a similar escape plan decades ago after dropping out of UCLA at 22. Far as I knew I was never coming back. Fat Chance! (Bike travel came later) I only made it 7 months, returned home to re-group. I had started an import business which meant many trips back and forth to Cent. and S. America for the next 5 years. Then got lucky, landed a "real" job down South .. next few back/forth's were gratis with regular paycheck.

If not working I got a bit bored following the Gringo trail. I worked in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina doing odd jobs: Movie work, teaching English and working for US Govt. Eventually returned to school and lucked into dream job that paid me to travel round the world.

Not tough enough to do that work any more. (Do think about what happens as you get older and what you might be doing in 25 years ... unless you've got a trust fund? ) All the best with the sell off ...
looking forward to more well informed ride reports!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #913
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a major commitment ... sounds like you've thought it through and have enough Road Time to assess what being on the road truly means.

I attempted a similar escape plan decades ago after dropping out of UCLA at 22. Far as I knew I was never coming back. Fat Chance! (Bike travel came later) I only made it 7 months, returned home to re-group. I had started an import business which meant many trips back and forth to Cent. and S. America for the next 5 years. Then got lucky, landed a "real" job down South .. next few back/forth's were gratis with regular paycheck.

If not working I got a bit bored following the Gringo trail. I worked in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina doing odd jobs: Movie work, teaching English and working for US Govt. Eventually returned to school and lucked into dream job that paid me to travel round the world.
i have a similar story of a job that from the age of 18 allowed me to travel to multiple countries/ continents (72 countries) and get well paid, funnily enough it wasn't that that made me want to do this, actually only in part was it the first 100k.

it was a fluke actually finding a copy of my family tree dating back to 1630 and looking it over not one single MAN had lived over the age of 74...i looked at my finances, and all the crap i have accumulated over the years, did a very realistic net worth calculation and figured i can just about make it until then, if i go over 74 then basically i'm fuc**ed, but i'll deal with that when the time comes (i don't have any dependents or commitments which helps)

as for the getting bored part i fully understand that, but most don't...for me it will be a time to write travel books of every country i travel thru which in turn will slow me down which again in turn will save me money and might make a little as i go along

so its on, and i'm doing it, its a crazy plan and i maybe crazy for following thru but the quote of "one life to live" rings true and i'm off to live it...and as long as this site is up and running i'll be reporting back as i go
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #914
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,945
Paul, I picture you ending up much as the central character in the movie Little Big Man did, as a wrinkled up old centenarian in a home telling some young whipper-snapper reporter of his life of adventure and the reporter finding it too incredulous to believe. Or something like that.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #915
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

or Big Fish its kind of getting that way already with all the crazy sh*t i've already done