User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #916
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,946
Paul,

Good on you for getting all your gear sold off and ready to travel freely ! Sounds like something I might do

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #917
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i really have no time limit once i start again...no real destinations set in stone, no agendas, so no rush at all, i'll be stopping a lot, maybe days/ weeks/ months at a time if i like a place...so lets keep it vague and say i have 5 to 15 years as an approximate timeline but don't be surprised if its longer
Paul,

I follow your threads and must say have been blown away by your commitment; keep thinking what really makes one tick inside to love these far travels and everything that's involved to make it happen. You must have experienced so much in travelling, that it raised you to next level of life awareness by now, and made you a different person. I’d love to read your reflections on motorcycle travel and life as you will write them. Just curious if you’ll still keep some kind of “base camp” home to return to or completely turn your life in a nomadic life style for the next years.

A native Romanian, I came to the US 20 years ago dreaming of nothing else but riding freedom, after years of riding my MZ 150 and Jawa 350 all over Transylvania’s Carpathians and Hungary..

Fast forward 20 years later and a divorce, all I can think of is still motorcycle travel as best way to use my remaining days on this Earth.

So my house is almost sold in NYC suburbs, and then I will take some time to readjust to a small quaint town in North Carolina where I'll be planning my biggest life's Adventure rides to experience the World.

I will be following your steps from another dimension

Best,
Vic
Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #918
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Paul,

I follow your threads and must say have been blown away by your commitment; keep thinking what really makes one tick inside to love these far travels and everything that's involved to make it happen. You must have experienced so much in travelling, that it raised you to next level of life awareness by now, and made you a different person. I’d love to read your reflections on motorcycle travel and life as you will write them. Just curious if you’ll still keep some kind of “base camp” home to return to or completely turn your life in a nomadic life style for the next years.

A native Romanian, I came to the US 20 years ago dreaming of nothing else but riding freedom, after years of riding my MZ 150 and Jawa 350 all over Transylvania’s Carpathians and Hungary..

Fast forward 20 years later and a divorce, all I can think of is still motorcycle travel as best way to use my remaining days on this Earth.

So my house is almost sold in NYC suburbs, and then I will take some time to readjust to a small quaint town in North Carolina where I'll be planning my biggest life's Adventure rides to experience the World.

I will be following your steps from another dimension

Best,
Vic
one of my bikes when i lived in the UK was a MZ250, so i can relate there...

i honestly am trying as hard as possible to get rid of everything and literally just go, i have 9 motorcycles to sell and thought this week was going great as i had four of them virtually sold, then this morning all four buyers dropped out or their relevant sales, so i am back to square one again

i don't plan on a base anywhere, to be honest i don't think i have found 'nirvana' for me yet, i have looked long and hard but still just not found it, so i have decided everything must go...but saying that 'everything' is still very hard to do, you have to keep something and what i am wanting to keep is of all things...my tools, copies of all the magazines i was featured in, which numbers around 80 +/-, and not photographs surprisingly as i now everything is digital, i am starting to put together a book series which i am publishing on Blurb.com and i will add a book for every country i travel through...when the books stop you'll know i've found my nirvana

its good to have you along with me and i wish you all the best on your future travels

rtwpaul screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 12:23 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #919
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

i honestly am trying as hard as possible to get rid of everything and literally just go, i have 9 motorcycles to sell and thought this week was going great as i had for virtually sold, then this morning all four buyers dropped out or their relevant sales, so i am back to square one again

i don't plan on a base anywhere, to be honest i don't think i have found 'nirvana' for me yet, i have looked long and hard but still just not found it, so i have decided everything must go...but saying that 'everything' is still very hard to do, you have to keep something and what i am wanting to keep is of all things...my tools, copies of all the magazines i was featured in, which numbers around 80 +/-, and not photographs surprisingly as i now everything is digital, i am starting to put together a book series which i am publishing on Blurb.com and i will add a book for every country i travel through...when the books stop you'll know i've found my nirvana

its good to have you along with me and i wish you all the best on your future travels
That's a good approach Paul. Nirvana! May you find yours!
In my travels I looked for little "Gardens of Eden". I found several. One was Solola, Guatemala, living in a house overlooking Lake Atitlan. The tourist Photo overlook was just a 1/4 mile down the road. I lived in the area off/on two years, exploring much of the most remote areas of the highlands.

Several "Garden's" found over 7 years on the road, all highly classified. I was also fascinated with a few places in Cambodia. I have yet to explore Myanmar or Laos. Still undeveloped. For me language was an issue in Asia, where in Latin America I could (mas o menos) communicate.

Best of luck moving your bikes!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #920
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:

i honestly am trying as hard as possible to get rid of everything and literally just go, i have 9 motorcycles to sell and thought this week was going great as i had four of them virtually sold, then this morning all four buyers dropped out or their relevant sales, so i am back to square one again

Nirvana, a state of mind and a place in time and space that has eluded me so far because I did not know it even existed. For years of my life I kept running away from my own self only to learn facing thyself is the only option. Or as my boxing coach used to say "you must look at that fist coming to be able to understand how to fend it". I once met an old Indian in Canada who asked me if I was at peace with myself, he considered that most important for every man. I did not understand the question. Now I do, even though I have not found peace yet. But I have a direction now.

I hope you find it Paul.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #921
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
I once met an old Indian in Canada who asked me if I was at peace with myself, he considered that most important for every man. I did not understand the question. Now I do, even though I have not found peace yet. But I have a direction now.
its funny that you quote an Indian from Canada...i had a similar meeting in BC on 2011...

i was pulling into a gas station and a guy on a new bike was pulling out, he waved and said hello, but took off...150 miles later in the next gas station same guy leaving as i was arriving, same hello wave...150 miles later another gas station, he was there again...he approached me and told me that from his tribe if you saw someone you had never met before three times in one day you needed to speak with them as they may have something very important to tell you.

We met later that day at his house and went fishing for the next two days, we had a lot in common and even knew some of the same people even though i had never been in that area of Canada before...it was very bizarre, but surreal at the same time and surely makes you think about people around you in a different way -

now add that same mindset to travelling? how often do you see the same person over and over, why not stop and talk to them and find out their story and why they are there and why you are at that same point in time, it slows your travels down and you meet some very 'real people'

doing a motorcycle trip some times isn't about motorcycles at all, sometimes its a good time fishing and talking in BC

Old 06-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #922
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
now add that same mindset to travelling? how often do you see the same person over and over, why not stop and talk to them and find out their story and why they are there and why you are at that same point in time, it slows your travels down and you meet some very 'real people'

doing a motorcycle trip some times isn't about motorcycles at all, sometimes its a good time fishing and talking in BC

That was a hell of a fish you caught there!
Indeed, I feel riding the bike and seeing scenery is nice but it's people encounters that enrich the experience. There is something almost mystical about it when you are open for it to happen. And each one is different so the interaction's chemistry is always a surprise. I met people that would warm up a rock's heart if it had one, and folks would let them sleep in their back yard barn and feed them. I am not as well equipped or daring but I guess that comes with experiencing real life on the road.
In BC I also had last year a really weird/surreal experience, seeing a black wolf on the Cassiar and later a black bear simply strolling along. The weird part is the wolf never showed in my gopro video even though I had it on, slowed down to look at it as it was sitting atop the road side hill watching me go by... the video just shows an empty place I was looking at.. and I hadn't had any drinks yet that day as I never do while riding
Later that evening at the bar I met a guy from BC who works diamond drilling in the thick of BC forest wilderness, coming home to family after several months of work. He insisted I put the bike in his huge jacked up monster pickup truck and we drive some 150 km home that night (after all beers we had) with him to show me the bears feeding next day.. Or at least visit him next day if we wake up at 5 AM. I politely declined partly because I was on a bit of time shortage having only one week to return for work and some 3,500 miles to go. To my mind he had the eyes of the wolf!
In the morning, a big, black (again) Labrador dog came out of nowhere and started playing, hitting me and my bike friendly with a stick he wanted me to throw so he could chase... The dog also had yellow fiery eyes! OK I swear am not making this up.. but even today when I think about those encounters don't know what to make of it other than perhaps my road weary mind playing some tricks. If only I had an extra week or two my experience would have been very different.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #923
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
That was a hell of a fish you caught there!
Indeed, I feel riding the bike and seeing scenery is nice but it's people encounters that enrich the experience. There is something almost mystical about it when you are open for it to happen. And each one is different so the interaction's chemistry is always a surprise. I met people that would warm up a rock's heart if it had one, and folks would let them sleep in their back yard barn and feed them. I am not as well equipped or daring but I guess that comes with experiencing real life on the road.
In BC I also had last year a really weird/surreal experience, seeing a black wolf on the Cassiar and later a black bear simply strolling along. The weird part is the wolf never showed in my gopro video even though I had it on, slowed down to look at it as it was sitting atop the road side hill watching me go by... the video just shows an empty place I was looking at.. and I hadn't had any drinks yet that day as I never do while riding
Later that evening at the bar I met a guy from BC who works diamond drilling in the thick of BC forest wilderness, coming home to family after several months of work. He insisted I put the bike in his huge jacked up monster pickup truck and we drive some 150 km home that night (after all beers we had) with him to show me the bears feeding next day.. Or at least visit him next day if we wake up at 5 AM. I politely declined partly because I was on a bit of time shortage having only one week to return for work and some 3,500 miles to go. To my mind he had the eyes of the wolf!
In the morning, a big, black (again) Labrador dog came out of nowhere and started playing, hitting me and my bike friendly with a stick he wanted me to throw so he could chase... The dog also had yellow fiery eyes! OK I swear am not making this up.. but even today when I think about those encounters don't know what to make of it other than perhaps my road weary mind playing some tricks. If only I had an extra week or two my experience would have been very different.
Every time I go out, I wish for no time constraints (and an unlimited travel budget) , and every trip I take, the last half or third is a mad rush home to spend a bit of time with the family and then back to the grind! I know exactly how you feel. I often think back on a few gut feelings/opportunities I didn't follow up on and wonder....

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #924
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Paul, it was great meeting you and riding with you to OX. I have just returned from a 15 day trip and I just can't get past becoming home sick. I guess it's all about priority's.
adventurebound9517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #925
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
I have just returned from a 15 day trip and I just can't get past becoming home sick. I guess it's all about priority's.
easy solution to that...sell the home...then priorities don't come into play
Old 06-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #926
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
FUNNY paul FUNNY
adventurebound9517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #927
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Every time I go out, I wish for no time constraints (and an unlimited travel budget) , and every trip I take, the last half or third is a mad rush home to spend a bit of time with the family and then back to the grind! I know exactly how you feel. I often think back on a few gut feelings/opportunities I didn't follow up on and wonder....
When I put my house for sale after divorce I thought just leave it all behind and go for an endless ride without a care for anything until I run out of money. Then I gave in to the thought of having a place of my own, where I can spend time and prepare for my next long trip, a place to return to and work on my bike while resting my old bones, bought a home that will allow me to be mortgage free very soon and still have funds for travel. For me now it's about travels to feed the soul, not desperately running away from myself as in all my past years. Aside for the joy of adventure and experiencing the world, I think each person has their own reasons for doing these trips when they do, and I don't see allot of talk about that.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #928
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Hope things are good

Kept thinking I might have missed the updates but see I did not.
Hope all is good.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #929
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Kept thinking I might have missed the updates but see I did not.
Hope all is good.

Cheers,
Vic
Vic

i didn't want to add to this again with just padding of normal daily life like some seem to do on here, its a ride report not a blog, so until i am actually riding, it is a RTW ride report after all, i am at home, building a few bikes to sell, what i do best to make money, but my bikes don't really have a place on here, but i will add one photo as its motorcycle so kind of related

also working on selling everything i've accumulated over the years, checking out routes and possible locations and basically getting ready for when the time comes, hopefully very soon...

stay subscribed and ADVrider will auto email you when i get out of normal 9-5 life and start moving on two wheels again for more than a day or two

Paul
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #930
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
so i guess the moral of the story is DON'T wait
Where's the best place to store the wife and kid(s) while I'm gone?

Can't wait for this one to get OTR again.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote